Premier Sponsor:

overlord

Dec 22, 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #1 of 21 (815 views)
Shortcut

Eragon
Report this Post
Can't Post

just watched it. the first word that comes to mind is bland. not boring, not necessary bad, just lacking that little extra that wouldve made it good.

again, as its usual with fantasy flicks, the plot seems rushed (didnt read the book so i cant comment on it 100%, but it feels rushed) and as such theres no real character development, some leaps. and, again, there are some pretty predictable twists and turns.

the best part of it is the dragon, saphira, voiced by rachel weisz. the only character i really liked. brom played by jeremy irons was also good, but didnt get enough time due to the rushed plot.

all in all, its not bad, just nothing special. good if you dont have anything else to watch. imho it wouldve been better if they allowed 30 more minutes and some more chemistry between eragon and arya.

thomasribiere

Dec 22, 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #2 of 21 (810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard the same critics around me already. I've so many other movies to see that I'll skip this one.

kimmyt

Dec 22, 2006, 2:34 PM
Post #3 of 21 (797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I really wanted to see this, because well I'm a nerd and I love dragons. Then I read some reviews and got all bummed out. I think I'll just go get the books instead.

overlord

Dec 22, 2006, 2:40 PM
Post #4 of 21 (794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimmyt] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kimmyt wrote:
I really wanted to see this, because well I'm a nerd and I love dragons. Then I read some reviews and got all bummed out. I think I'll just go get the books instead.

well, if you like dragons, youll like it. that was the best part of the movie.

or you can just wait and rent it

jumpingrock

Dec 22, 2006, 3:26 PM
Post #5 of 21 (779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't bother buying the book(s). Just imagine the Star Wars plot, stick it in the lord of the rings universe and then sprinkle in one or two more dragons.

DISCLAIMER: PLOT SPOILERS!
(of sorts)

"A boy of foggy origins lives with his uncle in a remote place of a vast empire headed by an evil Emperor and his right hand man, who was once prominent in an ancient order of guardians with mystical powers.

Through fate or luck, depending on your point of view, this boy comes into the possession of an object vital to a rebellion against the Empire; this object was inadvertently sent to him by a princess in the rebellion, who had attempted to send said object to an old man who once belonged to the same order of guardians as the Emperor’s right-hand man.

This boy seeks the old man to learn of the ways of this ancient order, but eventually has to return to his uncle’s farm, which, the boy finds, has been destroyed by fire, and his uncle killed. The boy then sets off with the old hermit, who also gives him a sword which belonged to his father. As they travel, they train. The boy meets up with a rogue who is full of surprises, but turns out to be fiercely loyal, for all his proclaimed selfishness. The boy also begins "seeing" a beautiful woman imprisoned and in need of help.

The boy decides that he needs to rescue her, even though he doesn't know her; further, he thinks of her only as beautiful (Luke's first words are, "Who is she? She's beautiful?" Eragon can't stop thinking about her beauty). Long story short, the old hermit dies to protect the boy, the boy and the rogue help the beautiful damsel escape.

They then set off to the rebellion to give important information and return the object which the princess had sent the boy. They were followed by the Empire, and prepare for a giant battle that will either save the rebellion or annihilate them.

The boy proves his worth with heroics during the battle, but his crowning achievement is his destruction of a noun of much power that has the ability to destroy lots of things. The boy is aided in this by one of his friends, who arrives at precisely the right moment.
The boy is lauded a hero.

The boy has a hallucination of a powerful master who can teach him more of the ancient order. The boy travels to the powerful master to learn the ways of the ancient order's mystical power. While there, he grows very powerful. While he is away, the Rebellion regroups in a new area.

Just when the boy is on a roll with his training, and has grown very powerful, he has a vision of his friends in great danger. He decides he must go to help them. His master warns him not to go. The boy promises that he will return. He leaves.

He finds his friends just in time and is able to distract the enemy so that his friends will remain safe. He finds out that his father was the right-hand man of the Emperor--his father was the one who betrayed the ancient order and helped kill them.

The boy is shocked and ultimately defeated, but not killed. He finds out that someone dear to him has been taken by evil people, and promises to find this person.

Now, is that the plot of [Eragon], or StarWars?"

http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/starwars.htm

kimmyt

Dec 22, 2006, 3:29 PM
Post #6 of 21 (774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
well, if you like dragons, youll like it. that was the best part of the movie.

or you can just wait and rent it

Yes, well I also like movies that don't suck.

So, therein lies the problem.

lena_chita

Dec 22, 2006, 3:37 PM
Post #7 of 21 (769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:
Don't bother buying the book(s). Just imagine the Star Wars plot, stick it in the lord of the rings universe and then sprinkle in one or two more dragons.

Well, if you are adult-- yes, I agree. But it isn't meant to be an adult book, in case you missed it. Teen lit at most. My 8 yo read it last year and liked it a lot. And I liked it well enough, too, if you keep the above point in mind...

Partner philbox

Dec 22, 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #8 of 21 (738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I might have to go see something a little more culturally uplifting like,
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Borat.

miademus

Dec 22, 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #9 of 21 (728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....i didn't like the trailer and the story at all, the critics are just the same i thought...i wont watch it probably,Tongue

traddad

Dec 23, 2006, 1:44 AM
Post #10 of 21 (716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miademus] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just took my 6 year old to see it. She liked it.

My review: Cheap, shallow, cloying, trite, formulaic. Kind of the "Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill" of movies

Partner j_ung

Dec 23, 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #11 of 21 (713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:

My review: Cheap, shallow, cloying, trite, formulaic. Kind of the "Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill" of movies

Word. And I thought the same about the book. What is it with fantasy writers? Is there nothing at all new? I swear, all you have to do is write, "elf," and everybody knows what you're talking about; no need to describe it. "Dwarf?" same thing. Even dragon riding has been done to death.

They're all cheap clones of the one true fantasy epic: The Lord of the Rings.

zozo

Dec 23, 2006, 4:47 AM
Post #12 of 21 (702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dragons are'nt real.

Partner philbox

Dec 23, 2006, 5:51 AM
Post #13 of 21 (689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zozo] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zozo wrote:
Dragons are'nt real.

Grammar and spelling Nazi's aren't real either. Laugh

styndall

Dec 23, 2006, 8:03 AM
Post #14 of 21 (683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
traddad wrote:

Word. And I thought the same about the book. What is it with fantasy writers? Is there nothing at all new? I swear, all you have to do is write, "elf," and everybody knows what you're talking about; no need to describe it. "Dwarf?" same thing. Even dragon riding has been done to death.

They're all cheap clones of the one true fantasy epic: The Lord of the Rings.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the book or seen the movie.

I was pondering going to see the movie, and I read a little about it on rottentomatoes. Apparently, the author of the book was 15 when he began his book, and presumably not much older when he finished it, whence the amateurish construction.

Fantasy novels do seem particularly prone to this sort of cliched, hackneyed style, which is why I've largely given up on the genre. However, now and again, a real gem comes along.

Look up China Mieville's Perdido Street Station. It doesn't get prominent shelf-space at the stores, since it's lacking entirely in the elves and dwarves and shit that makes the fanboys drool, but it's astounding in its creativity and thorough imagination.

zeke_sf

Jan 1, 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #15 of 21 (632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made fun of "Lord of the Rings" so hard, it made some supergeek puke all over the counter. Where do we keep the mop and bucket so I can make Elias clean it up?

melekzek

Jan 1, 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #16 of 21 (627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

speaking of fantasy, i cannot wait studio ghibli's take on the earthsea
Le Guin, she is da man !!!11

coastal_climber

Jan 1, 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #17 of 21 (618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [melekzek] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should try the game. Its crappy.

overlord

Jan 1, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #18 of 21 (583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:

maybe, but i really like ghiblis work.

coastal_climber

Jan 1, 2007, 9:39 PM
Post #19 of 21 (567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:

maybe, but i really like ghiblis work.

The controls sucked.

carabiner96

Jan 1, 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #20 of 21 (563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure that the author of the eragon books was a teenager when they wrote them...so what if they aren't wells or tolkien, getting yourself published and made into a majoy motion picture is no small feat.

The author is laughing her way to the bank as you pick the kernels out of your teeth...

lewis1350

Jan 1, 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #21 of 21 (548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Eragon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the author of the eragon books was a teenager when they wrote them...so what if they aren't wells or tolkien, getting yourself published and made into a majoy motion picture is no small feat.
He started writing when he graduated high school at 15 and became a New York Times Bestseller at 19. There is going to be another book by him, too. It's a trilogy. (his site: www.alagaesia.com )

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook