RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

jaboyd510

Dec 29, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1175 views)
Shortcut

photos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Used to be that area photos were linked to areas in the route database...i could go to NC for example and look for newly added pics. I have no idea how to do that now....

reno

Dec 30, 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaboyd510] photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Click Photos. Scroll down a short way, and see that "Recent Photo Tags"? Beside that is a "More photo tags." Click that, and you should get a huge list of tags. Find North Carolina (using your example) and you should get what you're looking for.

Partner coldclimb

Dec 31, 2006, 2:09 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Click Photos. Scroll down a short way, and see that "Recent Photo Tags"? Beside that is a "More photo tags." Click that, and you should get a huge list of tags. Find North Carolina (using your example) and you should get what you're looking for.

Note that this only works if the submitter was clever enough to tag the photo with the state or area name, the tags are not derived from linking.

atpeaceinbozeman

Jan 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Reno] photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tags are not the answer.

You're even a mod dude, at least give him a straight up response....

-----------------------------------

Back to the OP-

That feature, and most useful sorting tools for photos do not exist. I hope they add them back.

The photo gallery has been render useless, and great photos are not being seen.

Currently, I can't even list all photos added to an area, let alone a state. These features must be added.

also, getting the old sorting functions would be nice.

This would be a good start.

- Most recent
- Most recent comment
- highest rated

ON A SIDE NOTE:

I fear though, unless you get inflamitory, that these suggestions will not be heard.

So if this doesn't get many responses I might turn into assholeinbozeman.

Cheers,

Tom

reno

Jan 2, 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atpeaceinbozeman] photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
Tags are not the answer.

Are you saying that I'm lying?

I did give him a straight answer. He asked how to do it, and I told him the method. Is it the perfect solution? Nope. But it's what we have at the moment. I suppose I could have ignored his question, but what good would that accomplish?

So get off my back, would ya?

atpeaceinbozeman

Jan 2, 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
Tags are not the answer.

Are you saying that I'm lying?

I did give him a straight answer. He asked how to do it, and I told him the method. Is it the perfect solution? Nope. But it's what we have at the moment. I suppose I could have ignored his question, but what good would that accomplish?

So get off my back, would ya?

Shocked

wow dude. Take it easy.

I'm not trying to be 'on your back' or call you a lair, but he's talking about an old feature, not tags.

jaboyd510 wrote:
Used to be that area photos were linked to areas in the route database...i could go to NC for example and look for newly added pics. I have no idea how to do that now....

I also agree that the site is not perfect, hence this forum: Suggestions & Feedback

When you give a response like the original one you gave, it seems that the problem is missed or not important. Then nothing more is said.

Then you get pissed off when it's pointed out.

All that aside-
There are issues with the photo gallery that need to be addressed.

Thanks,
Tom

htotsu

Jan 3, 2007, 1:32 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
When you give a response like the original one you gave, it seems that the problem is missed or not important. Then nothing more is said.

Tom, this makes no sense.

The OP did not ask why this feature is gone, and the OP did not ask that that feature be restored. He very simply asked how to accomplish a particular task now that the feature is gone. He was given the answer.

Coldclimb added a helpful note about when it will work that way, and when it will not. So (official suggestion here) maybe something needs to be added when people submit photos encouraging them to create tags so people can more easily search for them later.

Anyway, if you would formally like to request that the first feature be restored, then do so. The comments are being read and prioritized, as evidenced by the announcements listing the many changes that have been made to the site based on user feedback. The suggestions are not being ignored, and you do not have to be inflammatory to be heard. I think the mods and owners have made it clear that they prefer it when you're not.

reno

Jan 3, 2007, 4:49 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
Shocked

wow dude. Take it easy.

I'm not trying to be 'on your back' or call you a lair, but he's talking about an old feature, not tags.

The original post in this thread asked how to sort photos, including a given area (North Carolina) and asked how to accomplish that.

His statement suggested that the method used before was no longer available, and wanted to know how it was done.

I replied. You then said I didn't give him a straight answer, which implies I was misleading him.... lying.

The "old feature" is no longer available. Lamentable as that may be, there is a work-around for the moment, and that's using the tags... as I suggested.

In reply to:

I'm stymied... when I answer the question directly, I'm ignoring the problem? That's amazing.... what if I didn't reply at all? Would that be acknowledging the problem.

In reply to:

No, I get pissed when people call me a liar.

In reply to:
All that aside-
There are issues with the photo gallery that need to be addressed.

Indeed, and I have said as much. Nobody is ignoring your complaints or the problems you raise. Issues are prioritized, solutions are developed as fast as can be done, and implemented (inline photos, anyone?)

atpeaceinbozeman

Jan 3, 2007, 3:57 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on Reno.

Thanks for keeping this on the radar.

I guess 'mislead' was too strong of a word, for that I'm sorry.

reno wrote:
The "old feature" is no longer available. Lamentable as that may be, there is a work-around for the moment, and that's using the tags... as I suggested.

I guess that was what I was expecting to hear originally.
Right on, and I think that tags are a good added aspect.
Hopefully people will start tagging photos.

Cheers,

Tom

(This post was edited by atpeaceinbozeman on Jan 3, 2007, 7:03 PM)

reno

Jan 3, 2007, 7:41 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries, Bozeman. Honest, we're working on making the changes as fast as we can.

Also, I'm sorry if I came across harsh: Had a couple shitty days at work, and I took out the frustration here. That's no excuse, and I owe you an apology, so here it is:

Sorry, man. I know better, and I apologize.

biff

Jan 10, 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #11 of 11 (984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaboyd510] photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you browse the Route DB right down to the climbing area, you will see a link to photos linked to that area.

for example, go to http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/Canada/Alberta/Banff-Lake_Louise/Lake_Louise/

and you can click on the link to see all 29 photos taken at Lake Louise in Banff, Alberta Canada. But I havnen't been able to figure out how to see photos from all of Alberta, like we used to be able to do.

I wrote most of the previous version of the photo section on this site and some of the routes DB, and I must say that this new system has huge potential, but right now lacks features that I used all the time before.

The biggest things that I miss are, like you said, being able to view photos linked to larger areas (for example all of alberta rather than just the area Lake Louise). I am planing a Trip to Thailand, and only have 3 or so days to climb. I would really like to be able to see photos of all of thialand so that I can select the routes I want to climb, and don't waste one of my days in some average climbing area.

I have noticed that the photo moderators are allowing climbing photos on the site without them being linked to a climbing area. This is probably because the routes db doesn't have nice prominent links anymore, so even if photos are linked, it is hard to find other linked to the same region.

The other big thing, and isn't related to photos is creating new areas, and managing the routes DB. It is very hard to use right now .. We actually have a HowTo document that I have to read everytime I want to add or accept an edit from a user. That is all I have to say about that.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook