RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

lexmark

Nov 27, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2035 views)
Shortcut

"What's new" button?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where did it go?

Is it coming back?

Why would you take it away?

Partner j_ung

Nov 27, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lexmark] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They took everything away. Now they start building again.

I second the request, though. I'd love to see an upated laundry list of things that have been changed and things that are definitely on the agenda. In fact, I think I'll start a thread about it. Smile

thomasribiere

Nov 27, 2006, 8:42 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have made a list of bugs and suggestions, and emailed it to ddt, who has his own list. But as a former Mod and valuable and listened contributor, I say "do it and either post it or PM it to ddt).

The efforts are right now concentrating a lot on the RDB whose Editors Interface is seeing improvements after the turnover stage.

ddt

Nov 28, 2006, 7:23 AM
Post #4 of 14 (2003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I second the request, though. I'd love to see an upated laundry list of things that have been changed and things that are definitely on the agenda. In fact, I think I'll start a thread about it. Smile

Jay, I'm not sure if you already started this thread. I'm just catching up after a whole day of not being able to spend much time on the site. Anyway, just to let you know that I am in the process of consolodating the various lists we've been keeping, users have been sending me, and the stuff I'm finding from feedback in these forums. I'd rather not tell you how long that list already is. Suffice to say I've spend many hours on it already. Smile

Once we have the various lists consolidated we'll go through a prioritization exercise and plan out what we can do when, based on our capacity (we have less than one handful of "coders", and I'm on of them!) and the investment needed to make the change.

We anticipate various changes and fixes, but we won't be able to do everything of course. Be patient and give us a little time... apart from the "enhancement" requests we're also working through various defects in the existing functionality as our first priority.

DDT

stymingersfink

Nov 28, 2006, 8:46 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't always know what kind of text modifiers I want till I'm finished composing.

it used to be one could compose a response, then highlight a section of text and click a button to bold, underline, italicise, etc. etc. and the highlighted selection would receive the selected opening and closing tags. now it seems that the tags are automatically applied to the bottom of the page, regardless of what text is highlighted.

pretty minor issue, hopefully pretty minor fix too. until then, it's click n drag the tags for me i guess.

noticed today some of the differences in URL tagging, I'll make a note of it for my own future use.

Hated to see the IMG embedding disappear, but I suppose that it did tend to suck up quite a bit of bandwidth. Still, Clausti's sig WAS pretty fucking cool, not to mention the J_ung dancers (oops, I just did!) and many others. oh well.

OTOH, kind of liking the new threaded layout, as well as the versatility in viewing options. The email acct is a bonus as well, but probably not really necessary. Who knows, maybe mine'll get more traffic in the upcoming months, maybe not.

lunabruandabby

Dec 30, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lexmark] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The new site is killing me. The what's new for routes and photos for a specific state was my favorite thing about rc.com. Please bring it back....or i'll be bailin' soon.

jp

stymingersfink

Dec 31, 2006, 5:01 AM
Post #7 of 14 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

noticed the other day you guys fixed the "wrap in tags" thing for firefox. it's still kicking me up to the top of the editor window though. seems like it didn't the first day I used it, but tonight it's doing it again. not sure if it's important enough to take up your time though.

ddt:
must say, it's good so see image embedding return. yee-ha! is there any chance of changing the tag identifier to (bracket)IMG(bracket) instead of (bracket)IMAGE(bracket) ? that's the tag served up automatically at most photo-hosting sites

[code] (btw, the 'code' tag doesn't work properly. i should be able to put whatever code i wish within the code tags, and it should print exactly what I type.. it doesn't work that way...I tried it, it tried to serve up an image, which is why I had to spell out the (brackets)) i noticed also it makes this a long run-on sentence, causing the window to go off the screen. DDT --->>> after you have read this please feel free to remove these code tags in order to return this forum to it's regularly scheduled width.[/code]

thanks for attending to some of the more pressing requests of the long-time locals around here, this in my book was the number-1 bitch, especially with the seemingly bs explanations for why it disappeared.

remember, with eye-candy comes a higher user- threshold for bull-pucky... you must bedazzle with brilliance those you cannot bamboozle with bullshit!

next up i suppose is the kill-file and trophy capabilities.. some people are difficult to ignore sometimes, and i think it would be cool to see the posts others think are trophy worthy too... maybe an icon similar to the NSFW icon?

I found a work-around to the inability to have a signature pic, though it is a tad more work on my end, the result is the same... and it's clickable, just like it used to be!

(This post was edited by stymingersfink on Dec 31, 2006, 9:20 AM)

ddt

Dec 31, 2006, 5:48 AM
Post #8 of 14 (1951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the [code] tag. Could you please edit your post to remove it?

I just got a tip from Alex (Gossamer Threads) that you could enter: [.tag] which then yields [tag]. If there is a leading dot after the [ then the system removes the dot and displays the tag as normal, without "interpreting" the tag.

Cheers,
DDT

atpeaceinbozeman

Jan 2, 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So back to the "What's New" button

I've looked through the annoucements - but no mention of the "whats new" button. Actually even in this very thread DDT skirts the question.

It used to be a feature for each state.
It showed recently added areas, routes, and users.

I'd like to add in addition to seeing this feature back, it would be nice to show recent ascents added for the state.

We also were able to see recenlty added photos for the state as well, but I think that was more related to photo filtering.

A simple aknowlegment from the powers that be would be rad.

Thanks,

Tom

ddt

Jan 3, 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #10 of 14 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atpeaceinbozeman] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
I've looked through the annoucements - but no mention of the "whats new" button. Actually even in this very thread DDT skirts the question.

A simple aknowlegment from the powers that be would be rad.

I've started some initial work on "what's new" for the routes database. Right now it's limited to showing new routes, and it's only visible to route editors since it's work in progress. I'll look into what it'll take to add new photos and new users, but it'll be some work.

DDT

atpeaceinbozeman

Jan 3, 2007, 3:33 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on. Thanks for the update and your work.

Tom

lunabruandabby

Jan 4, 2007, 1:18 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I will never understand the concept of replacing something that works fine with an inferior product. Let's just say that the old rc.com was a #2 camalot and the new one is a rigid friend. Sure they both work but one goes anywhere does anything and the other has limited potential. I'll give it until the spring and then it's whiping everything I've posted to the routes database...all pics and on to another site. Big loss you say. True...but I doubt I'll be the only one leaving.

Justin

thomasribiere

Jan 4, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lunabruandabby] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lunabruandabby wrote:
I'll give it until the spring and then it's whiping everything I've posted to the routes database...all pics and on to another site. Big loss you say. True...but I doubt I'll be the only one leaving.

Justin

Just wait a bit until you can delete everything en masse, you will save some time!

Partner philbox

Jan 4, 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lunabruandabby] "What's new" button? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lunabruandabby wrote:
I guess I will never understand the concept of replacing something that works fine with an inferior product. Let's just say that the old rc.com was a #2 camalot and the new one is a rigid friend. Justin

Actually the olde site was a rusty old machine nut picked up off a railway line and the thread bored out and slung with a hemp rope. It was also all jazzed up with pretty paint and all the old school traddies loved placing that thing. The new site is a number 3 rigid Friend which in fact is a preproduction model with none of the refinements of the production models. Given time we will all come to love the new more refined pro.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook