RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

snogirl17

Jan 5, 2007, 1:02 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Wisconsin Climbing Classes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, my boyfriend and I are interested in getting into climbing and we really dont know where to start. We were wondering if anyone could point us in the right direction on where to get lessons or get started. thanks!

Partner drrock

Jan 5, 2007, 2:05 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snogirl17] Wisconsin Climbing Classes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where in Wisconsin. Call up a local gym. Or come to Prairie Walls in Rochester, MN on any Saturday from 2-4 and take the intro class. http://www.prairiewalls.com/

Partner neuroshock

Jan 5, 2007, 6:23 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snogirl17 wrote:
Hi, my boyfriend and I are interested in getting into climbing and we really dont know where to start. We were wondering if anyone could point us in the right direction on where to get lessons or get started. thanks!

well, if you'd like to get an outdoor experience first you could try hiring APEX Adventure for a Beginner class at Devil's Lake when it's warmer.

if you're looking for a gym experience, it really depends on where you live/will be. in addition to drrock's suggestion above....
Madision: Boulders
Milwaukee: Adventure Rock
near the twin cities or Superior: Vertical Endeavors
Whitewater: Wall Crawlers

'course, there are likely other options also available, like a wall at your local health club/YMCA, but as a Chicagoan i haven't a clue.

hope that helped at least a little.

(This post was edited by neuroshock on Jan 5, 2007, 6:24 AM)

snogirl17

Jan 5, 2007, 3:35 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroshock] Wisconsin Climbing Classes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the replies. I will check into the APEX adventures once it gets "warmer" out. I figured Devils Lake in Wisconsin would have some classes somewhere, but i just wanted to make sure it was with some one reputable. We are really looking forward to get started. We snowboard in winter and we need a summer hobby too! We thought this would be challenging and rewarding.

shrug7

Jan 5, 2007, 9:33 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the mean time check out a local gym, while you wait for warmer weather. It will for sure give you a taste at climbing something.

(P.S. how has the snowboarding been up at devils head/cascade this year....?)

styleboy

Jan 6, 2007, 3:19 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shrug7] Wisconsin Climbing Classes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where are you both from? I climb out at wallcrawlers and adventure rock.. I'm pretty sure REI has classes free to members every now and again.

snogirl17

Jan 10, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shrug7] Wisconsin Climbing Classes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

actually because of the unusually warm weather we haven't even thought about getting our gear out. I dont mind going on man made snow, but when the man made snow is wet and junkie i would rather wait until it really snows!! Cool

We really like Devils head though and cant wait to get out there! I hear we are suppose to get some snow this weekend.

We are from fond du lac. I was thinking about checking out REI

shrug7

Jan 10, 2007, 7:55 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info, I have not even thought about heading up that way because of the snow. maybe i'll check it out for next weekend.

The REI in Milwaukee is I think the best around. (I also think their flagship midwest store)

rockmonkey24

Jan 14, 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adventure Rock is a great gym in brookfield, that also has classes at devils lake that teach you how to set anchors for top ropes so that you can go out on your own. They also have classes to teach the basics of climbing and are building a brand new bouldering wall for their Quick on the Draw comp on Jan. 27

jkeltgen

Jan 15, 2007, 4:30 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend and I, along with a couple friends, go climbing at Taylor's Falls and/or Blue Mounds. We're all semi-new to climbing in general (only doing it a year); but would be happy to get together and meet some new faces once the weather warms up a bit!

I've got all the equipment for top roping, and spare harnesses from the gym I work at. We'd be more than happy to meet at Taylor's Falls if you'd like and we can all go climbing together. One of the biggest "fears" that my GF and I had was just getting started. But through support of other "newbie" climbers and experienced folk, we quickly over-came that notion. Blush Send me a PM if interested, and maybe we can head to Vertical Endeavors or Prarie Walls.

snogirl17

Jan 16, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Wisconsin Climbing Classes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info about Adventure rock. Brookfield is not that far away and it would be something to look into during the "cold" months and get our feet wet.

jkeltgen- i sent you a pm.. we would love a get together with some newer climbers. we will be really fresh at it, but i am sure we will learn a great deal. thanks for the offer!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook