RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mr_mackeath

Jan 9, 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #1 of 3 (197 views)
Shortcut

Gaiters
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a large guy, 6'6" and wear a size 14 mountaineering boot. I'm having trouble finding gaiters that are not too tight on my calves once I put layers for cold weather on. I've tried the 2x crocodile gaiters and while almost it, they definitely don't get the cigar. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 10, 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #2 of 3 (175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr_mackeath] Gaiters [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mr_mackeath wrote:
I'm a large guy, 6'6" and wear a size 14 mountaineering boot. I'm having trouble finding gaiters that are not too tight on my calves once I put layers for cold weather on. I've tried the 2x crocodile gaiters and while almost it, they definitely don't get the cigar. Does anyone have any recommendations?

How about making your own? It's not like they are (or have to be) a complicated design. If you do need them, consider what you actually need them for and to what degree of protection you need them for each item; as in do you need snake protection, or just keeping sand out. Do you actually need water resistance? You can get various types of outdoor fabrics used to make commercial gaiters easily through sources like http://www.seattlefabrics.com and its a very basic design. Just use your OR crocs as a template or you could even go lighter weight and do a slip on design rather than doing the velcro enclosures.

mr_mackeath

Jan 10, 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #3 of 3 (169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Gaiters [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, that is an excellent idea. I use them for mountaineering and ice climbing. If there really are no larger size out there, I think I can get some material and whip something together.

Tibi Gratius.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook