First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

snoangel

Jan 10, 2007, 8:54 PM
Post #26 of 96 (745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I worked for myself for a while & I must say that it was much better than having a "regular" job. However, being in school was still WAY better than working for myself. Less responsibility, more free time.

Stay in school! Wink

Partner j_ung

Jan 10, 2007, 8:55 PM
Post #27 of 96 (745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
wjca wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Tell me, what's the real world like? *shudder*

You wake up every morning and wonder when its going to all be over.

Fortunately there is a lot of drinking on this side so you should be just fine. Of course its less "Let's Party" drinking and more "What Happened to My Life" drinking but the net result is pretty much the same.

:claps hands to sides of biner's face and shakes:

Listen to me. Stay where you are as long as you can....

I am beginning to wonder if you and I may have been separated at birth. We're both tax attorneys that drink too much with too many useless degrees. Do you also get better looking everyday like me? Huge penis? Have to run the ladies off with a stick?

Is this me? Am I talking to myself again? Maybe you are my evil equivalent like in Star Trek. Do you have a goatee?

Which one of you is the deformed, retarded lump of flesh that lives in a picnic basket?

maww

Jan 10, 2007, 8:59 PM
Post #28 of 96 (735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
maww wrote:
I'm actually happy to get up every morning ..or at least more mornings than not.

Screw you.

[ah, that feels better]

Hey now! No need to be a sassy pants. Wink

zdgraff

Jan 10, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #29 of 96 (733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ihategrigris] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ihategrigris wrote:
quadfire wrote:
At least you didn't major in engineering. I'm stuck at this worthless desk job wondering what the heck did I goto school for.
I think I'm going to run away too, although my sanity is already gone.
Pirate

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
- Life on the Mississippi

I second that! Engineering (especially if you do oil&gas) sucks!

Great... I'm almost done with my engineering degree. Maybe I'll just be a hippy too... or figure out some cool way to be an engineer outside.

wjca

Jan 10, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #30 of 96 (733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:

Is this me? Am I talking to myself again? Maybe you are my evil equivalent like in Star Trek. Do you have a goatee?

I was recently working on a goatee. This New Years Eve my wife gave me two choices: (1) Keep the goatee; or (2) Have New Year's Eve sex. I am no longer working on said goatee.

wjca

Jan 10, 2007, 9:01 PM
Post #31 of 96 (729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wjca wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Fortunately there is a lot of drinking on this side so you should be just fine. Of course its less "Let's Party" drinking and more "What Happened to My Life" drinking but the net result is pretty much the same.

I am beginning to wonder if you and I may have been separated at birth. We're both tax attorneys that drink too much with too many useless degrees. Do you also get better looking everyday like me? Huge penis? Have to run the ladies off with a stick?

Which one of you is the deformed, retarded lump of flesh that lives in a picnic basket?

Him.

kixx

Jan 10, 2007, 9:01 PM
Post #32 of 96 (726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

California Conservation Corp.

Good friend of mine that works for the park service got his start with them, now he gets to live on and work on National Park land. Spent a year each in Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, Cascades, and Rocky Mountain. Not bad.

Because of my chosen life style I cannot live like this but every since I started working for myself I jump out of bed at 5 am eager to greet the day... not just on weekends. Sounds stupid but its true.

zdgraff

Jan 10, 2007, 9:02 PM
Post #33 of 96 (725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoangel] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoangel wrote:
I worked for myself for a while & I must say that it was much better than having a "regular" job. However, being in school was still WAY better than working for myself. Less responsibility, more free time.

Stay in school! Wink

I'll go to school for the rest of my life if you pay for it.

veggieweggie

Jan 10, 2007, 9:07 PM
Post #34 of 96 (719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm about to graduate (with mechanical engineering, which can lead to all sorts of boring desk jobs) and I've gotten tired of people telling me how I need to get a 'real job'... one of my goals is to not fall for society telling us we need to have a fancy desk job making tons of money to be sucessfull

that being said i have no idea what im doing next year... the plan for now is to be climbing bum/world traveler until I maybe go to grad school (ps paid internships are great... they've funded me for this 'year off')

ps. I've been to Tombouctou... its rather hot and flat... probably not the place for you! Cool

thomasribiere

Jan 10, 2007, 9:12 PM
Post #35 of 96 (709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey lolita (I don't know your first name!);

it's in 2 1/2 years! Take it easy! Have fun is school, anjoy it, these yrs (when you have the luck to go to school) are the best ever in the life, they will bring you neverending memories/souvenirs (I never know the rigth word) and probably lifetime friends.
If you can, stay longer (become a teacher assistant or something) and/or take a few months to travel a country or the world.
And don't let good opportunities go away, but avoid plans... I'm not sure plans (at your age, you must be 21 or so) are good.

Seize the day, drink beer and smoke pot, have fun with your roommates and your webmates.
Love.

devils_advocate

Jan 10, 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #36 of 96 (706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:

Crazy... maybe triplets. Ok, so I'm not an attorney, but I am a smart ass and drink far too much too.

Do you find it hard to find jeans that will fit your package as well? ...it's such a tough life. I'm worried I may wake up tomorrow and be so damn good looking everyone around me decides to kill themselves. That would suck.

carabiner96

Jan 10, 2007, 9:17 PM
Post #37 of 96 (695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
Seize the day, drink beer and smoke pot, have fun with your roommates and your webmates.
Love.

thomas, I remember the last time you smoked pot. You put up weepy posts about quitting rc.com and wondered if the spiders on your ceiling eat each other.

thomasribiere

Jan 10, 2007, 9:17 PM
Post #38 of 96 (692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so...? ain't that inviting?!

By the way, sicnce you're talking of my home spiders, I don't where the thin one went, but I know that my cat (named Pixel - nickname=Megapixel) ate the large one yesterday noon...

(This post was edited by thomasribiere on Jan 10, 2007, 9:20 PM)

Partner baja_java

Jan 10, 2007, 9:22 PM
Post #39 of 96 (683 views)
Shortcut

Re: What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
I don't want to make a million dollars, but BAH the panic is starting to set in and I may have to run away to timbuktu to keep my sanity after I graduate.

just find something you're pretty good at and enjoy doing, and be honest and realistic about what would make you happy. would you truly be happy doing something very rewarding and low stress but barely able to make ends meet? would you really be sad if you rake in millions and could make your problems go away just by throwing money at it, or throwing money at other people's problems and make them happy?

incidentally, making a career sum of a million bucks isn't as big a deal as it used to be, what with inflation and rising costs of living. kinda like ransoming the world for a million dollars and have the entire UN just laugh and laugh at you

Sean

jgloporto

Jan 10, 2007, 9:26 PM
Post #40 of 96 (669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
j_ung wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wjca wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Him.

:peaks out of picnic basket:

Did someone say something?

thomasribiere

Jan 10, 2007, 9:28 PM
Post #41 of 96 (675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
wjca wrote:
j_ung wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wjca wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Him.

it's nice to have the quotes back

atg200

Jan 10, 2007, 9:29 PM
Post #42 of 96 (671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I often wonder how I got here. I went to school for classical music performance in New York City after growing up in both of the bumblefuck Dakotas. I thought I was going to get rich working at a dotcom back when setfiretopilesofmoney.com had an IPO making everyone in the company millionaires. After that company imploded I drove around in my car for a few months and did a lot of climbing. Then I got a bizarre Denver based job doing computer systems at mines in some odd places - Uzbekistan, South Africa, Colombia, Peru, Chile, etc. After a few years and a filled up passport I got a gig at another startup in NYC, splitting time between there and Utah.

Now I have my own consulting company based out of my house in Park City Utah. The work isn't too fun, but if I work two full weeks I am set for a month and a half. I go skiing with my dog most days during lunch and often see moose, though i don't try to ride them. I'm going to give myself a lot of time off this summer for river trips and a few mountaineering trips.

I never would have imagined that I would be doing what I am even 3 years ago, much less when I was in college 10 years ago. I have a good balance between making money, spending time with my wife and friends, and getting out and playing. You never know, and trying to plan too far ahead is futile.

jgloporto

Jan 10, 2007, 9:32 PM
Post #43 of 96 (661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wjca wrote:
j_ung wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wjca wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Him.

it's nice to have the quotes back

Whoa, this thing is starting to look like when you put two mirrors facing each other. I wonder if we keep this going we'll see a little troll waiving at us (and I bet it will be j_ung).

Partner wideguy

Jan 10, 2007, 9:40 PM
Post #44 of 96 (650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mo, become a plumber. Seriously, do it now while you're still young enough to survive on an apprentice wage for a few years.

I was talking to a plumber the other week, he was telling me a story of a failed septic pipe, how he was in this ditch, in the cold rain, covered in he knows what but would rather not think about it.... he told me this story for 20 minutes in great detail.

After which I said, "Wow, not alot of fun there eh?"

He replied, "You know what's fun? Fun is a 36' power cruiser named "Gotta go" docked in Gallilee with no mortgage and knowing I can take off any day I want to go fishing." He's 38.

People will always be flushing stuff they shouldn't. If you can stomach that, all it takes in one midnight holiday service call to fund a week in Yosemite.

Or an electrician.

carabiner96

Jan 10, 2007, 9:45 PM
Post #45 of 96 (640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I predict in a few years I'll be posting a thread called "how the hell did my life go down the *drain? thanks for the killer advice, guys!"

*pun intended, wide!

thomasribiere

Post #46 of 96 (640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep, artisans are the ones! Tough but rewarding job if that's what you want.

Partner philbox

Post #47 of 96 (639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of plumbers, ya gotta go see the movie Kenny. It is coming to a cinema near you in North America soon. It's all about a plumber named Kenny who works for a portaloo company. Funniest movie I have seen in ages.

jgloporto

Jan 10, 2007, 9:46 PM
Post #48 of 96 (634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
Mo, become a plumber. Seriously, do it now while you're still young enough to survive on an apprentice wage for a few years.

I was talking to a plumber the other week, he was telling me a story of a failed septic pipe, how he was in this ditch, in the cold rain, covered in he knows what but would rather not think about it.... he told me this story for 20 minutes in great detail.

After which I said, "Wow, not alot of fun there eh?"

He replied, "You know what's fun? Fun is a 36' power cruiser named "Gotta go" docked in Gallilee with no mortgage and knowing I can take off any day I want to go fishing." He's 38.

People will always be flushing stuff they shouldn't. If you can stomach that, all it takes in one midnight holiday service call to fund a week in Yosemite.

Or an electrician.

I agree 500% with this statement. When I was in college, I used to work for my uncle's construction company. He offered to put me down as full time so I could log my apprenticeship time. I asked him what the union dues would be and he said $150 per month. At the time, I decided that $150 worth of beer every month was not worth it. He made four hundred thousand dollars last year.

But hey, I get to make student loan payments for the rest of my life so there's always that...

:climbs back into picnic basket:

thomasribiere

Jan 10, 2007, 9:47 PM
Post #49 of 96 (632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] What the hell to do with my life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

is portaloo the same thing as porta-pitty or I don't remember what weird word?

Partner philbox

Jan 10, 2007, 9:50 PM
Post #50 of 96 (624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, portable chemical toilets, there that should satisfy all known language barriers. Laugh

Quote from the movie Kenny, "There's a smell in here that will outlast religion".

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook