Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

foreverabumbly

Jan 6, 2007, 2:53 AM
Post #26 of 36 (708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] How the Hell... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How have you been climbing, but not learned the simple basics of coiling or flaking a rope? The first things I teach my apprentices are coiling my rope, packing my rope and carrying my rope to my car.

I think you need to take a step back and be brutally honest with yourself. If you cant even coil a rope how do expect to be able to climb safetly? Do a climbing course and learn the basics before you use your shiny new rope cause at the moment your an accident waiting to happen.

themadmilkman

Jan 6, 2007, 9:10 PM
Post #27 of 36 (678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [foreverabumbly] How the Hell... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

foreverabumbly wrote:
How have you been climbing, but not learned the simple basics of coiling or flaking a rope? The first things I teach my apprentices are coiling my rope, packing my rope and carrying my rope to my car.

I think you need to take a step back and be brutally honest with yourself. If you cant even coil a rope how do expect to be able to climb safetly? Do a climbing course and learn the basics before you use your shiny new rope cause at the moment your an accident waiting to happen.

Perhaps he's only done single pitch sport routes, where the ability to coil a rope is about as valuable, as say, you're biased advice to take a class anytime someone asks a question? or is your stated occupation of "outdoor instructor" just a lie to get in good with the ladies?

foreverabumbly

Jan 8, 2007, 8:12 AM
Post #28 of 36 (628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] How the Hell... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your right, asking a sport climber to have simple rope managemant skills may be asking too much. And as an 'outdoor instructor' I know the value that hiring one can provide.

My post was a bit harsh, sorry. That morning I got hit in the head by a rope thrown over the cliff by an idiot setting up a top rope who didnt even think of seeing if someone was leading the route. And I was taking out my frustration on any new climbers I could.
But my advice is honest. If you are buying safety equipement (which all climbing gear really is) then you should have a fair understanding of how it works.And not knowing how to pack your rope kinda suggests there are LOTS of other things you dont know. And as I just stated, I got hurt by a beginner climber who didnt know the basics of climbing, who was a danger to other people because he missed steps in the learning curve in his eagerness to just get out there and climb. He didnt know how to coil his new rope either.

(This post was edited by foreverabumbly on Jan 11, 2007, 7:44 AM)

Partner epoch

Jan 8, 2007, 1:20 PM
Post #29 of 36 (597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] How the Hell... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

themadmilkman wrote:
Perhaps he's only done single pitch sport routes, where the ability to coil a rope is about as valuable, as say, you're biased advice to take a class anytime someone asks a question? or is your stated occupation of "outdoor instructor" just a lie to get in good with the ladies?

Are you saying that we don't need to coil our ropes every time that we want to change routes when we're craggin? I never thought of it... Just think of all the time I could save by draggin my rope behind me when I go to another route..... Gee wiz, I should also stop re-coiling my rope at the end of every pitch, too.

I've been enlightened........

bill413

Jan 8, 2007, 3:00 PM
Post #30 of 36 (585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] How the Hell... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
themadmilkman wrote:

Are you saying that we don't need to coil our ropes every time that we want to change routes when we're craggin? I never thought of it... Just think of all the time I could save by draggin my rope behind me when I go to another route..... Gee wiz, I should also stop re-coiling my rope at the end of every pitch, too.

And dragging it behind the car on the way home helps get that annoying fuzz off the outside.

cchildre

Jan 8, 2007, 4:25 PM
Post #31 of 36 (571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

foreverabumbly wrote:

Then they learn to carry all your gear and water, shine your shoes, polish and lube your cams, and wait on you hand and foot.....:)....LMAO...good post, though I am not sure you meant it to be funny, still got a good laugh.

rocketsocks

Jan 10, 2007, 8:58 AM
Post #32 of 36 (518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mammut17] How the Hell... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mammut17 wrote:
Thank you very much.
this is helpful.
its good to know people are actually serious and nice enough to help people.

Look in the upper right hand corner of your screen, there's a little doo-dad that says "Search |Forums| for |(blank)| Go". If you type a query such as, oh, I dunno, "coiling rope" into this magical device it will pull up pages and pages of results with just the information you're looking for. If you're wondering why some posters in this thread seem to be so unhelpful and choose to make fun of you instead of give you the information you need, it's almost assuredly because they know that this information is readily available (from innumerable sources) and they don't look kindly on folks who seem to demand being spoon fed information that is well within their reach if they would just extend their arm.

Adk

Jan 10, 2007, 1:41 PM
Post #33 of 36 (499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] How the Hell... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
epoch wrote:
themadmilkman wrote:

And dragging it behind the car on the way home helps get that annoying fuzz off the outside.

I'm laughing so hard my stonach is killing me. Oh wait! Tears are running down my face too!! Laugh
Can you imagine that? A guy dragging his new dynamic from one route to another, across the dirt, grass and over stumps and rocks.

kixx

Jan 10, 2007, 9:32 PM
Post #34 of 36 (457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mammut17] How the Hell... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mammut - I should have posted this earlier I thought somebody would have explained this by now. This is not as easy as everyone makes it sound.

Anyway, as far as rope bags go any stuff sack or even a paper grociery bag (although not "cool")will work. You tie an overhand knot at both ends of the rope and push it hand over hand into the bag. Don't stuff the rope in all at once, you'll end up with a rats nest. Just push in it 1 to 2 feet at a time and then when you need to use it grab the overhand knot you made and pull as much or as little of it back out as you like, tangle free. This also does not twist the rope like coiling it does, an added advantage.

FOREVERBUBLY - outdoor instructor or whatever you are, leave this guy alone man. It's people like you that almost ran me (and many others) out of this sport. Go "instruct" at the YMCA or something where your cowardice will be appreciated. And if you want to flame me then put up your profile and don't hide behind anonymity.

foreverabumbly

Jan 11, 2007, 7:40 AM
Post #35 of 36 (419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] How the Hell... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
outdoor instructor or whatever you are, leave this guy alone man. It's people like you that almost ran me (and many others) out of this sport.

wow, if thats all it takes to get you out of climbing...

seriously though, I had already appologised for harshness(maybe you skipped that bit?) I find it funny that you say Im hiding behind anonymity yet you have no trouble pigeon holing me, and if you want to find out what im like, then try searching through my previous posts, Ive updated my profile, but it doesnt really say much more...

(This post was edited by foreverabumbly on Jan 11, 2007, 7:45 AM)

kixx

Jan 11, 2007, 5:58 PM
Post #36 of 36 (394 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry Bumbly, some folks in the real world (not in cyberspace) did me wrong and they came from some the same background and way of thinking that you do. I'm bitter because what happened to me was far worse than having a gumby drop a rope on my head.

You did apologize but went on to point out carelessness instead of offering good advice. You are using your self percieved expertise to judge instead of help - despite the apology.

Don't judge, be more quick to help.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook