Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TBlake84

Jan 12, 2007, 3:58 AM
Post #1 of 29 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Another Top Rope Setup Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, I know there is a crapload of questions on this board about toprope anchors but the last time I had a question and didn't start a new thread I got flamed for it.

I have started climbing at a new crag (Quincy Quarries in Quincy, MA) and my cordalette is only the standard lenght (21'). I have yet to set the anchor at this crag but I have been told I need a long runner. No one specified exactly how long so here is my question.

Can I use spectra/dyneema slings to extend the bolts so I can use my current cordalette or is that unsafe? I was think it would progress like this from the bolt. Bolt>locking D Biner>Dyneema Sling>Locking D>Cordalette. Of course I would have two sets of these. Is this alright? I was told Dyneema is no good for this purpose because it doesn't stretch at all unlike nylon.

Thanks guys.

majid_sabet

Jan 12, 2007, 4:08 AM
Post #2 of 29 (3190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TBlake84] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

buy some webbing 30 feet of it and get this thing over with or else get ready for BBQ part II.

carabiner96

Jan 12, 2007, 4:10 AM
Post #3 of 29 (3182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's ok if the dyneema doesn't stretch; in fact, you want your anchor to be static in the system. The dynamic part of the system comes from the belay and the climbing rope - having a static anchor can actually be dangerous.

TBlake84

Jan 12, 2007, 4:13 AM
Post #4 of 29 (3182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude... what the hell? This is the friggin "beginner's section", we're gonna ask repeptitive and stupid questions. If you don't like it, don't read it. Also, I have yet to find a single person on this site with over 500 posts who has the common courtesy to politely answer a question.

I don't know but this whole rockclimbing.com experience is beginning to make me think you're all assholes. Stop posting so much, get off your asses and computers and go climb so you can take your pent up anger out on the rock.

It was a simple, innocent question.

(This post was edited by TBlake84 on Jan 12, 2007, 4:15 AM)

TBlake84

Jan 12, 2007, 4:15 AM
Post #5 of 29 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you carabiner96... thats exactly the answer I was looking for.

I'll refer to you from now on as nice person #1.

(This post was edited by TBlake84 on Jan 12, 2007, 4:17 AM)

nuts_bolts

Jan 12, 2007, 4:47 AM
Post #6 of 29 (3157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
...in fact, you want your anchor to be static in the system...having a static anchor can actually be dangerous.

Say what? Wink

To the OP, ideally, one long piece of webbing (or cord) is better because it reduces the number of "links" in your anchor. i.e. Sling linked to sling linked to cord, etc. The more "links" you have, the greater number of things that could possibly fail (also more work, more gear, more things to check...).

carabiner96

Jan 12, 2007, 4:49 AM
Post #7 of 29 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nuts_bolts] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whoops...meant *dynamic* can actually be bad news...oh well it's kate...uh i mean late.

nuts_bolts

Jan 12, 2007, 5:09 AM
Post #8 of 29 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LaughLaughLaugh

jimdavis

Jan 12, 2007, 5:22 AM
Post #9 of 29 (3135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
buy some webbing 30 feet of it and get this thing over with or else get ready for BBQ part II.
good advice, majid! as usual.

andypro

Jan 12, 2007, 7:49 AM
Post #10 of 29 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edit: Damn! I spent too much time watching cartoons and not enough time typing. My silliness was thwarted Unsure

As for the OP: What kind of anchors are there at this place I've never been to? Are they bolted or natural or are you building them? I'm just curious as to why a regular length cordalette is gonna be too short. But yeah, your plan is fine. I do it all the time and I'm still alive Laugh

--Andy P

P.s.- Do I get ot be nice person number two now?! Everyone wants a title ya know....I neeeeeeeed this.

(This post was edited by andypro on Jan 12, 2007, 7:50 AM)

abock33

Jan 12, 2007, 8:41 AM
Post #11 of 29 (3100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TBlake84 wrote:
Dude... what the hell? This is the friggin "beginner's section", we're gonna ask repeptitive and stupid questions. If you don't like it, don't read it. Also, I have yet to find a single person on this site with over 500 posts who has the common courtesy to politely answer a question.

I don't know but this whole rockclimbing.com experience is beginning to make me think you're all assholes. Stop posting so much, get off your asses and computers and go climb so you can take your pent up anger out on the rock.

!!!Amen Bro!!!

I say keep them on their freakin' computer So I don't have to hear them at the crag.

svilnit

Jan 12, 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #12 of 29 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TBlake84 wrote:

Easy Princess... if you looked at Madjit's response he did answer your question. Instead of buying spectra to attach to cordalette, why not just buy one big piece of webbing and reduce some "links" in the system?

pro_alien

Jan 12, 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #13 of 29 (3064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Toprope anchor can be static, your rope is dynamic. An overly dynamic anchor would rub against the rock when the load changes.

I would have no qualms about using a dyneema sling as part of this anchor. Of course, the fewer elements you have in series, the fewer things can go wrong...

Also keep in mind the angle between the two arms of the cordelette - the bigger the angle the more side load you will put on the bolts (see "American death triangle").

Pascal

TBlake84

Jan 12, 2007, 5:10 PM
Post #14 of 29 (3025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pro_alien] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys... I got my answer. Svilnit, he never did answer my question. I know I SHOULD use a full length of webbing, that is pretty easy to understand. But seeing as I am a poor college student (yes, even webbing can seem expensive) what I was asking is if the dyneema was "strong enough" as John Long puts it.

I bought his Climbing Anchors book by the way so I won't be asking anymore noob questions about it. I shall also use two biners at my focal point from now on. Good point.

Partner thespider

Jan 12, 2007, 5:19 PM
Post #15 of 29 (3017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TBlake84 wrote:

I agree with this statement. I just hope I don't become the asshole when I reach 500 Tongue

tradtimbo

Jan 12, 2007, 6:11 PM
Post #16 of 29 (2980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check your PM

kevinwaldock

Jan 12, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #17 of 29 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradtimbo] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I usally girth hitch webbing/dynem/etc together then you save biners. just my two cents.

ranther

Jan 12, 2007, 7:11 PM
Post #18 of 29 (2941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kevinwaldock] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kevinwaldock wrote:
I usally girth hitch webbing/dynem/etc together then you save biners. just my two cents.

Carefull of girth hitching slings:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ew_flat;post=1467489

nuts_bolts

Jan 12, 2007, 7:20 PM
Post #19 of 29 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TBlake84 wrote:
Thanks guys... I got my answer. Svilnit, he never did answer my question. I know I SHOULD use a full length of webbing, that is pretty easy to understand. But seeing as I am a poor college student (yes, even webbing can seem expensive) what I was asking is if the dyneema was "strong enough" as John Long puts it.

I bought his Climbing Anchors book by the way so I won't be asking anymore noob questions about it. I shall also use two biners at my focal point from now on. Good point.

Ahh, good has been done, n00b question answered, John Long made another royalty, the world is at peace.

bobruef

Jan 12, 2007, 7:23 PM
Post #20 of 29 (2928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ranther] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ranther wrote:
kevinwaldock wrote:

Carefull of girth hitching slings:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ew_flat;post=1467489

especially dyneema ones, as the op stated he was using.
In reply to:

jimdavis

Jan 13, 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #21 of 29 (2865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobruef] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't read the new JL book, but I don't see how one could be *afraid* of using Dyneema/ Spectra in an anchor. The shit is 10x stronger than steel, lb for lb.

Just use it properly.

Nylon might be king, but that doesn't make spectra unsafe, as long as you're using it correctly.

Jim

socalclimber

Jan 13, 2007, 1:37 AM
Post #22 of 29 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimdavis] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I really dislike dealing with webbing. My suggestion would be to buy about 75 feet of 11mil static. Why so much? You can build multiple anchors with one piece, you can wrap huge rocks if need be. The big plus is that the static will last for ever. If you climb as much my crew and I do, that webbing won't last 3 months. It also handles rough edges very well. Also, if you need setup your anchor far back from the edge, the extra length of the static works like a champ to extend it over the edge.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Jan 13, 2007, 1:42 AM)

kixx

Jan 13, 2007, 2:54 AM
Post #23 of 29 (2830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with socialclimber - only collect 25 ft, 50ft, and 75 ft lengths and then slip a 12 ft length of 1" tube webbing over each one and slide it to the middle (this takes some patience) . The webbing makes your knot area, which is usually the area hanging over the rock edge) more abrasion resistant, and alowing the static line to last even longer. The line can be adjusted by clove hitching and wrapping a tree, rock, cloved to pro or biners on bolts.... just about anything. There is no better top rope anchor setup that I've seen unless your setting up on bolts on the actual face in which case all you need are two long draws and appropriate biners.

Take only one of these stat lines with you depending on how far back from the edge you anticipate being. I know you mentioned you didn't like lugging this around but it's a lot less than multiple slings and biners to accomplish the same thing less securely... especial in MA where most TR are from back away from the edge.
Attachments: TopRope.JPG (111 KB)

socalclimber

Jan 13, 2007, 3:04 AM
Post #24 of 29 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] Another Top Rope Setup Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed Kixx, I'm just to lazy, but I do use the webbing on my static that is used for guiding. If he's really that worried about carrying around too much stuff. He should do what we do, one person brings the rack, one brings a rope or two, and anyone else brings excess important stuff like beer.

curt

Jan 13, 2007, 6:00 AM
Post #25 of 29 (2797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TBlake84 wrote:

Looks like you're going to fit right in.

Curt

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook