Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
What to replace a TNF Mountain Guide Jacket with?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

dalfollo

Jan 17, 2007, 6:06 AM
Post #1 of 9 (954 views)
Shortcut

What to replace a TNF Mountain Guide Jacket with?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

All,

I am considering the changing of the guard for my TNF Mountain Guide jacket (not the Mountain Light)....this is the old standard (mine is 15 YO)...any recommendations on a strong jacket; probably leaning to GoreTex, but would entertain other waterproof/breathables.

Looking for the 'jacket' style that has worked well for me on Ice and Alpine...zip in fleece not too important as I never really used that with current model.

Appreciate any recomendations/suggestions.

Is the MW Exposure 2 heavy duty fabric or lighter duty? Tahnsk.

kixx

Jan 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #2 of 9 (935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dalfollo] What to replace a TNF Mountain Guide Jacket with? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Wild Things Gear on the web, or if you get into New Hampshire you can go to the store - really funtional stuff.

I also build custom stuff and you can PM for more info on that.

redpoint73

Jan 17, 2007, 1:34 PM
Post #3 of 9 (926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] What to replace a TNF Mountain Guide Jacket with? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The MH Exposure is pretty beefy material. Its also very heavy. And personally, I think the Exposure is really bulky and oversized. But if durability is what you are looking for, it may fit the bill. And the price is nice too. MH gear is very well made. They commonly carry the Exposure at REI, so if you are near one of their stores, it should be easy for you to check out.

jeremy11

Jan 17, 2007, 4:35 PM
Post #4 of 9 (905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.paramo.co.uk/...raJacket-16-139.html

way better than goretex (or similar) - it works like animal fur, actually pushing water away faster than it can come in. sounds crazy but it works, and there is no membrane - just high tech breathable fabric that keeps out all the precipitation.
they function as hard shells, soft shells, and light insulation all at once, and last forever too, due to there being no membrane to break, clog up, or puncture - it can be indefinitely restored with nikwax tech wash and tx10 wash in.

alpinismo_flujo

Jan 17, 2007, 4:38 PM
Post #5 of 9 (902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's sooooooooo many choices. Nowadays you can find something uber light and tough on sale. Just keep looking.

If you love your Mountain guide and want something just like it but lighter, then get the MGL version.

go_dyno

Jan 21, 2007, 3:11 AM
Post #6 of 9 (853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinismo_flujo] What to replace a TNF Mountain Guide Jacket with? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the Arc'teryx it fits great the waterproof zips are great and easier to use than with zip covers and most of all the hood turns "with" your head instead of your head turning "inside" the stationary hood.

urbansherpa

Jan 21, 2007, 3:40 AM
Post #7 of 9 (842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually own a MH Exposure II jacket so please take this advice.

I've owned it for about 5-6 yrs and it almost looks new. I've done several CLIMBING trips in the White Mountains, NH and Adirondacks, NY. Although I'm not abusive the jacket has seen a lot of abrasion and the fabric is holding up very well.

It breathes like a garbage bag, and is very heavy. (I used to sell TNF PacLite jackets and they were WAY lighter and better performing, although more susceptible to abrasion)

At the end of a long day the cuffs were FULL of snow due to condensation (it is a lined jacket). After the snow thawed the jacket cuffs remained wet (and therefore cold) inside for the rest of the trip.

The worst part was when we climbed in Huntington Ravine. The 'Dobby Weave' texture of the fabric caused the blowing snow to stick to the entire jacket inhibiting breathability and I had to shake vigorously every 5 minutes. I looked like a snowball, and it doubled the weight of the jacket.
On the other end of the rope my partner was snow-free in his old EMS jacket.

After that I swore I'd never wear it for alpine. I bought a MEC Hydrofoil jacket for $100 CDN.
It is infinitely more breathable, lighter, and snow doesn't stick to it at all.

Fantastic jacket http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618349&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699279&bmUID=1169350720786

eisoutside

Jan 21, 2007, 4:50 AM
Post #8 of 9 (828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

look into the mountain hardwear torch. the jacket is made for ice/alpine climbing so it should suit your needs well. i have one and i just use it for general outside and cool weather climbing. it's super breathable and very functional. also, it's got a nylon shell which is more durable than Gortex. the thing was expensive, but to me, it was a worthy investment. it also won a editors choice from backpacker magazine and they don't had those things out lightly.

go to http://www.mountainhardware.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=1492&cat=8&viewAll=False
for some more info on it.

angusmacginny

Jan 21, 2007, 9:18 PM
Post #9 of 9 (803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] What to replace a TNF Mountain Guide Jacket with? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kixx wrote:
Check out Wild Things Gear on the web, or if you get into New Hampshire you can go to the store - really funtional stuff.

I also build custom stuff and you can PM for more info on that.

Second for Wild things gear. It fucking rocks. Mountain hardware stuff has been horrible. I have had two mountain hardware jackets for free in the last few years and just cant bring myself to use them. I also got a cloudveil Koven jacket last spring and have been liking that. The latest Patagucci get my thumbs up also, but I still use the wild things jacket that I actually bought more than all the rest.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook