RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

smokerocks87

Jan 18, 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #1 of 14 (5694 views)
Shortcut

Poop tube covered. Pee?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This oughta be a pretty quick answer, which I think I already know the answer to, but what exactly is proper ettiquette for urinating on El Cap? I'd hate to faux pas and piss on someones head. Any info is greatly appreciated. Summer 07, Yosemite or bust!

Partner holdplease2

Jan 18, 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #2 of 14 (5651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smokerocks87] Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its good to see someone asking this. Last time I climbed it during a peak month my sleeping bag/bivy sack were incredibly sticky with urine, as was my hair. Even from people 1-2 routes to the side.

If you're not going to hit anyone and the wind isn't blowing, you can pee into the air.

If its windy, or you will pee on people or gear, you can pee in a water bottle and dump it at a more opportune moment. If you end up tucked into your rain fly or you don't want to dump your partner out of the ledge in the middle of the night, youll be greatful for the bottle.

When it comes to peeing on the rock, consider not peeing or dump on the ledges or in the cracks if you can avoid it. The sick sweet smell of layers of urine is an unfortunate reality in the nicest bivies on many trade routes.

Hope this helps:

:)

-Kate.

Partner tattooed_climber

Jan 19, 2007, 2:14 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....i don't know about in yose

but in squamish, me (and afew other dudes i've aided with) just piss against the wall (off or away from the route)

in squamish, it rains soo much i'tll be off the wall in afew days

(This post was edited by tattooed_climber on Jan 19, 2007, 2:14 AM)

stymingersfink

Jan 19, 2007, 4:26 AM
Post #4 of 14 (5513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tattooed_climber] Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^^but that's not something you would want to do on well traveled overhanging routes where the rain will not be able to wash the rock.

like kate said, the stench of urine makes some routes more memorable for the smell than the sights.

Just piss away from the rock, the golden shower is nothing more than a rite of passageWink

lambone

Jan 19, 2007, 8:45 PM
Post #5 of 14 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't pee on the route, on the ledges, or on people....including yourself.

pretty simple

tradclmbr

Jan 19, 2007, 8:56 PM
Post #6 of 14 (5442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lambone] Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...when contemplating a piss strategy, its important to keep in mind that this is no ordinary pee. the weight of water, more exertion than you planned on and unplanned losses along the way mean that you will be dehydrated to some degree and that your piss will take on hues and a consistency ... and stench...that distinguish it from normal urine. Moreover, just as your not the first to pass there, your not the first to piss there resulting in the unavoidable comingling that results in unimaginable horrors.

The sheen, smell and overall stickiness of camp 6 certainly comes to mind, as does my dry heaving at the smell of my own urine on the 3D traverse.

pmyche

Jan 20, 2007, 3:12 AM
Post #7 of 14 (5338 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

phang_nga

Jan 20, 2007, 3:48 AM
Post #8 of 14 (5327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I practice 'mind over bladder' whenever possible.

iamthewallress

Jan 20, 2007, 6:56 AM
Post #9 of 14 (5271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
If you think pee gets washed off slabs by rain in the Valley, you have not done the New Dawn traverse beneath El Cap Tower.

I walked across El Cap tower in my socks one morning, and with every step they resisted slightly, and then peeled away from the rock like a fruit roll up. I didn't really get it until later...

awolclimber

Jan 20, 2007, 7:07 AM
Post #10 of 14 (5268 views)
Shortcut

Re: Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So this may sound stupid but maybe a female can answer this... in using a bottle, wouldn't it need to be like a Nalgene type opening? And who can explain a pee funnel... seems mighty convenient when it's really really cold out while camping to not leave the sleeping bag and just dump it in the morning.

nuts_bolts

Jan 20, 2007, 9:14 AM
Post #11 of 14 (5250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [awolclimber] Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awolclimber wrote:
So this may sound stupid but maybe a female can answer this... in using a bottle, wouldn't it need to be like a Nalgene type opening? And who can explain a pee funnel... seems mighty convenient when it's really really cold out while camping to not leave the sleeping bag and just dump it in the morning.

OK, so I wouldn't know 'cause I've never used one...honest. But:

http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/default.aspx

Partner holdplease2

Jan 20, 2007, 6:04 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [awolclimber] Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Awol climber:

Here's what I've found:

I used a pee funnel for awhile, the lady loo. I found it to be not so great and had many mishaps with it. There are several "modes of failure" and I recommend practicing on the ground, both in kneeling position (disasterous), standing position, and hanging belay. Make sure the tube is fully extendeded, otherwise some will remain in the funnel and promptly dump into your pants when you try to remove the device.

I find these funnles icky, hard to store, and they add another couple links in the "potential failure chain" of trying to get your urine successfully from your bladder to the outside world. Standing up on the ground for cold weather camping, though, theyre probably great. Negotiating the harness in a hanging belay is too much to ask.

At night I use the bottom 1/3 of a oceanspray cranberry juice container. You can scooch your pants down to your knees and still fit this narrow but large "target" between your legs. I then dump it into a used gallon bottle or into space, depending on whether or not there are folks below or if I'm on a ledge. I use a 2 foot keeper loop and keep it clipped into a "kit" bag that contains morning paper bags, wet wipes, and normal pee.

If you, as a female, try to pee in a nalgene bottle, you will probably find that it is too tall to use when crouched on your knees and you don't want to stand or even squat in a portaledge (squatting is too unstable and can tip the ledge suddenly.

When peeing on a long aid lead (sometimes 6 hours) I drop the leg loops on my harness and scoot them to the crook in my knees. This hanging position allows you to drop your pants far enough to avoid accident. I carry a little toilet paper called a "permawipe" in my RTFM (Right the fuck now) bag that I carry on my harness for things I need "Right the Fuck Now" like red bull, hairbands, headlamp, gu, TP, chap stick, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Kate.

nedsurf

Jan 20, 2007, 6:49 PM
Post #13 of 14 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

holdplease2 wrote:
Its good to see someone asking this. Last time I climbed it during a peak month my sleeping bag/bivy sack were incredibly sticky with urine, as was my hair.
-Kate.

Well, I thought I wanted to get into doing big walls. Mabye with a level 3 HAZMAT suit.

yetanotherdave

Jan 21, 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #14 of 14 (5153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nedsurf] Poop tube covered. Pee? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nedsurf wrote:
holdplease2 wrote:
Its good to see someone asking this. Last time I climbed it during a peak month my sleeping bag/bivy sack were incredibly sticky with urine, as was my hair.
-Kate.
Well, I thought I wanted to get into doing big walls. Mabye with a level 3 HAZMAT suit.
Ya, reading this thread makes me really appreciate my home crag (Squamish), where a wall is a 'trade route' if it gets done more than once/year. Not that it'll stop me from heading to Yose to climb the Nose this spring, tho.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook