RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

aroseekay

Jan 17, 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1827 views)
Shortcut

back surgery and climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking for folks who have returned to climbing after major back surgery (fusion of a few lumbar vertebrae).

Recovery time?
How long before you were back on rock?
Has it changed the way you climb?
Are you still climbing the same stuff?
Are you able to deal with long approaches and heavy packs?
Other sports/forms of exercise you have returned to: kayak, mtn bike, weight training, running, swimming?
How much of this is done against medical orders?

I am probably going to have this surgery soon. Would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
angelique

Partner jammer

Jan 17, 2007, 1:21 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aroseekay] back surgery and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be interested in see the results of this thread. I have a fusion in my neck and just had a herniated disc removed at L5, and thank God no fusion. It took me a couple of years just to get over the fear of hurting myself after the neck operation. I'm sure I was good, I was just being, shall we say, extreamly careful!

stratman05

Jan 17, 2007, 1:38 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] back surgery and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

did you get the artificial disc replacement done? Otherwise they put in a cadaver bone and still fuse it.

I fractured C6 (chipped a piece off), but my Dr. wants to do surgery (period...no matter what I say or he finds) because I tore ligaments.

After talking to doctors, I would not think twice about climbing. It's the only reason I survived my accident (great core muscles). They also said it will be crucial to maintain those muscles from then on out. Just don't do anything stupid.

Partner jammer

Jan 17, 2007, 2:07 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stratman05] back surgery and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For my neck, a piece of bone from my hip was used to fused it. There were three vertebras that were fused and they drilled little holes in the neck bone and threaded wire through it. Not too sure how that helped except, if I tilt my head a little to the right, I can get music (BS).

When they operated on my back, they just slipped the herniated part of the disc and left the rest. My back has come along beautifully!

The fear I was talking about was me just being a wuss.

go_dyno

Jan 19, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] back surgery and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One year and 8 months ago I had disc replacement surgery at L5/S1.( I am in an FDA experimental study...rockrat turns guinea pig!) I had broken the L5 vertebrae in 2 places vertically and destroyed the L5/S1 disc and damaged the L5/L4 disc. Before my accident I was an extreme adventure director/cameraman and wildlife filmmaker. I lived the extreme life while carrying and moving massive amounts of gear to the most remote locations on earth. I was fit. After my accident due to great evil in the form of production company and workers comp insurance I was down and mostly bedridden for over 3 years before I got my surgery. I think the surgery which wasn't great at first is now getting into the great rating, but the now over 4 years mostly bedridden is what I'm trying to overcome now. I think my back is probably great, but the rest of my body feels like dry twigs held together with rotten rubberbands! My endurance was so low for about 6 months post op they thought I might have narcolepsy because I had absolutely no reserve energy and my mind would literally say, "you have 10-15 minutes till full shutdown" and in 15 minutes I would pass out from lack of energy. (in 1999 I was the first cameraman to run the Eco-Challenge with the competitors and ran the course back and forth for 12 days!) I'm still weak and have every form of tendonitis you can have, but I get my La Sportiva Nepal Extreme Evo boots tomorrow and I'm climbing ice in Hyalite Canyon next week if I have to strap my Vipers to the side of my head (arms not working too well) to climb Genesis I & II ! Any questions about back stuff call anytime, evening or late evening best (can't sleep from leg pain)

Hawk
406-223-6444
In reply to:

Partner jammer

Jan 19, 2007, 2:37 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [go_dyno] back surgery and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shocked Amazing! Yup ... you gotta be the one with the best come-back recovery I've ever heard about. Rockrat ... now, where did I hear that name before ... could it of been here years ago?

addictedtoclimbing

Jan 26, 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aroseekay] back surgery and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How's it goin? I actually had back surgery not quite a year and a half ago. My injury wasn't from rock climbing, instead I had a motorcycle accident and broke my L1 vertebrae. I have titanium mesh now where that vert. used to be and a plate to add support. But I am doing well. I am pretty stiff yet in my hamstrings but that's cause I havn't kept up on stretching. I did a little climbing before my accident, I was pretty new to the sport but it was all I could ever think about. Basically don't let anyone tell you or convince you that you're not gonna get back to climbing. I heard that from a lot of people. I havn't gotten back to climbing yet but have every intention too. It just takes time and commitment. I gotta go but good luck with your surgery and recovery. CLIMB ON!!!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook