Premier Sponsor:

Partner kimgraves

Jan 19, 2007, 3:08 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Big Croc - is this a spoof?
Report this Post
Can't Post

Note the full size wild boar in his mouth. This was passed on by my my climbing partner who works with someone who's brother lives in Australia. The brother took it while out on the road. Masha insists that it's a hoax. I thought it was real. But then the title of the picture was "big croc". Do croc's really get this big?

Best, Kim

thomasribiere

Jan 19, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimgraves] Big Croc - is this a spoof? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love these wildlife pics. I can't enlarge this one so I can't tell whether it could be true or not. One of the useful questions could be : is the boar a baby boar? By the way, I didn't know there were boars in Australia, is that another stupid introduction by the White Man?

(This post was edited by thomasribiere on Jan 19, 2007, 3:13 PM)

Partner kimgraves

Jan 19, 2007, 3:18 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Big Croc - is this a spoof? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wikipedia says they can reach over 400 lbs. So assuming this is half that size or even a quarter size, does the size of the croc seem plausible?

Thomas - approve my picture so you can get the bigger version.

Kim

Partner epoch

Jan 19, 2007, 3:18 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure that our Aussie folk will clarify this.

When I was visiting Darwin I went on a tour of one of the rivers where we were fortunate enough to view the "jumping" crocidiles. We had a 21'+ behemoth cruise up to our boat and our coxswain beached our craft where the crock came beside us where it was promptly fed a thick lamb steak. So, yeah, I doubt that it is PSed.

Partner wideguy

Jan 19, 2007, 3:23 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dunno about this picture specifically but Salt Water Crocs can easily get that big

This guy's name was Gomek, at 17.9 feet. Average Max is apparently 16-18 feet. Largest verified is over 20' and some skulls recovered appear to have been from croc as large as 23'.

So if Gomek there is 18', imagine a 23' looking at ya! Shocked
Could be that boar isn't full grown either, so it would distort the croc's apparent size. But I've seen documentary's where they take grown wildebeest and such, so a boar certainly seems possible.

Here's a pic of a 13' alligator with a full grown deer, so ...

(This post was edited by wideguy on Jan 19, 2007, 4:07 PM)

thomasribiere

Jan 19, 2007, 3:24 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cannot approve pics!

Partner kimgraves

Jan 19, 2007, 3:48 PM
Post #7 of 14 (992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the Wikipedia on crocodiles. It says that 6m 1200kg is not uncommon. And there are reports of much larger animals (8.2m). Indeed there are crocodile is Australia.

I'm betting it's a real pic.

Best, Kim

seanhabgood

Jan 19, 2007, 5:47 PM
Post #8 of 14 (958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say yes it is real. At the Smithsoian there are crocks that big. I on TV I have seen them bring down Zebras. Sean

yak

Jan 19, 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #9 of 14 (914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seanhabgood] Big Croc - is this a spoof? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey kim

i posted this pic on here last year

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1431140;#1431140

and yeh a mate and i were thinking it may be an alligator so it has 1 of your american boars, the aussie croc has a narrower appearance, the snout on the one in pic is too wide to be a croc, that my opinion anyway.

Partner kimgraves

Jan 20, 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #10 of 14 (895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yak] Big Croc - is this a spoof? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yak wrote:
hey kim

i posted this pic on here last year

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=1431140;#1431140

and yeh a mate and i were thinking it may be an alligator so it has 1 of your american boars, the aussie croc has a narrower appearance, the snout on the one in pic is too wide to be a croc, that my opinion anyway.

That's really funny! My partner swore up and down that his colleagues' brother-in-law, who's a cop, took the picture. Now I don't know what to believe. I'm going to have to go eat crow with Masha.

Best, Kim

rjtrials

Jan 21, 2007, 6:39 PM
Post #11 of 14 (848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NationalGeographic wrote:
A cold-blooded killer is on the loose. His name is Gustave. He's 20 feet long (6 meters), weighs 2,000 pounds (907 kilograms), and stands accused of devouring hundreds of people.
Link Here

RockRingtail

Jan 22, 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #12 of 14 (810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Big Croc - is this a spoof? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
I love these wildlife pics. I can't enlarge this one so I can't tell whether it could be true or not. One of the useful questions could be : is the boar a baby boar? By the way, I didn't know there were boars in Australia, is that another stupid introduction by the White Man?

Yep. It is estimated that there are anywhere from 13-23 million feral pigs in Australia, spread across about half the continent, especially in the top end (Northern Territory). The early settlers introduced them as a food species, the escapees prospered in this environment and established feral populations. They are a recognised pest species here and create a lot of environmental damage. Unsure

As for size, there are numerous reports of crocs reaching 7m + and although their diet when they are young tends towards crabs, prawns, etc. Crocs 2m+ will go for turtles, birds and mammals. Really large crocs have been known to take cattle and horses, so it isn't unfeasible that the pic is real.

As for the pic itself, it is too small to judge IMHO. It looks similar to an Australian salty and the background is about right.. it's possible.

Partner philbox

Jan 22, 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #13 of 14 (769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RockRingtail] Big Croc - is this a spoof? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That pic is a definite possibility. The snout cannot be determined to be that of an alligator. It does look more like that of a salty. I reckon the bitumen road was hot that day and so he was trying to keep his belly up off it. They are known to take land animals a long way from the water so it is also possible that the large croc would be walking around with prey in its mouth. That usually occurs at night though.

When camping up north it is not advisable to camp within a mile of the water except if there is a cliff type bank between you and the water or else camp up on top of your vehicle or inside the vehicle.

Campers in tents are known as croc sandwiches or more to the point a light snack. Crocs grow so huge that they could easily take a grown man and come back for seconds.

billcoe_

Jan 23, 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #14 of 14 (726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Big Croc - is this a spoof? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's one my brother said he took last trip to the Glades. Pretty big eh?

I think he may have photoshopped it though.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook