Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

andypro

Jan 22, 2007, 1:43 AM
Post #1 of 29 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been pretty much dead set on getting a pair of quarks, but getting a pair of BD Reactors for only $319 is pretty tempting. I'm keen to give leashless a try, but dont want to give up leashes entirely.

I'm still thinkin a pair of quarks, but I cant help but be tempted at the Reactors. They look really comfy to yard on.

--Andy P

Partner mr8615

Jan 22, 2007, 1:58 AM
Post #2 of 29 (6015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andypro] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you climbed with the reactors? The quarks? The main factor when deciding what ice tools to buy is how they swing in your hands. You should climb with them before ever considering dropping such considerable money. Find an ice fest near you, or some friends who have tools of their own and try these things out before you buy. The reactors aren't designed to have leashes, but if you're worried about dropping them maybe look into those stretchy 'keeper' cords for leashless tools.

natec

Jan 22, 2007, 2:06 AM
Post #3 of 29 (6002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andypro] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andypro wrote:
I've been pretty much dead set on getting a pair of quarks, but getting a pair of BD Reactors for only $319 is pretty tempting. I'm keen to give leashless a try, but dont want to give up leashes entirely.

I'm still thinkin a pair of quarks, but I cant help but be tempted at the Reactors. They look really comfy to yard on.

--Andy P

I have climbed with Cobras and Reactors quite a bit this season and the swing on both is very very similar if you ask me.

One thing i have noticed about the Reactor is that the offset handle gives the head a little extra torque on your wrist. Enough so that occasionally swings will glance off if you aren't perfect.

If you are going with a tool and really want leashes I would get quarks personally. They swing great and would be a much cleaner system with the leashes. Without leashes, they are still great.

andypro

Jan 22, 2007, 2:09 AM
Post #4 of 29 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quarks yes, Reactors no. I've gone through and used alot of different tools. Havn't used any modern BD tools though (cobra, viper, fusions, reactors). I really like the Quarks shape and angles but was never a big fan of the more extreeme leashless handles.

The reason I'm looking at Reactors is because it's not as steeply angled in the handle as other tools, and it's not as far offset. It appears to be a more "all around" tool than others of it's ilk. The pommel also looks better suited to caning (obviously not plunging!).

I'm not just charging blind into this Wink I did actually give it some thought. My major point of concern is that I like leashes...Hence my asking.

--Andy P

anykineclimb

Jan 22, 2007, 3:55 AM
Post #5 of 29 (5965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're on the fence with leashes, go with the Quarks. with the pinkie guard on there, it works nicely leashless but you can easily add the charlet leashes.

Partner mr8615

Jan 22, 2007, 3:57 AM
Post #6 of 29 (5961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reactors swing like the cobras, and I'm not a fan of the swing on the cobras, on the other hand I love the quarks. The swing is noticably different imho.

stymingersfink

Jan 22, 2007, 5:19 AM
Post #7 of 29 (5902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

with all this talk of cobra's, i wonder what the OP might think of what's commin down the pipeline for the cobra tool...

saw a pair at the ice fest, another pair in Provo Canyon yesterday. All I can say is...

complete versatility, leashless or not... I may have to retract my previous statements about improving on the Vipers!

OTOH, if you're split on leashless, get a pair of Vipers... with the Fang and Strike, they are quite nice to climb leashless with. With the Android Leash you have the option to change your mind mid-climb.

My buddy has a pair of the Reactors and has enjoyed them quite a bit after swinging the vipers for a couple of seasons. I've swung them a time or two, and like the feel of them myself, much more than the Fusions I bought a couple years ago.

The off-set handle does a very good job of protectiing your knuckles, while the lighter micro-hammer is much better than the hammerless Fusion tool for swinging into ice. I'm gonna have to see if I can find a replacement micro-hammer for my vipers.Smile

dps

Jan 22, 2007, 6:39 AM
Post #8 of 29 (5876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure there will be new Vipers next year as well, they are moving away from the minor axis orientation.

I agree about the new Cobra's, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how durable the lighter CF frame is.

akicebum

Jan 22, 2007, 7:22 AM
Post #9 of 29 (5852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy quarks, you can get new picks for Quarks and you can't for reactors, BD hasn't had any all winter and every shop I have been in has been bitching about selling out of them. The quark is a great tool.

natec

Jan 22, 2007, 4:59 PM
Post #10 of 29 (5773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [akicebum] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

akicebum wrote:
Buy quarks, you can get new picks for Quarks and you can't for reactors, BD hasn't had any all winter and every shop I have been in has been bitching about selling out of them. The quark is a great tool.

I've got a set of spare picks for the Reactors. They weren't that hard to come by.

Does anyone have pictures of the "NEW" Cobras from Ouray or elsewhere?

(This post was edited by natec on Jan 22, 2007, 5:21 PM)

brianinslc

Jan 22, 2007, 7:22 PM
Post #11 of 29 (5723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andypro wrote:

I tried a Reactor last season with a leash on it, just for kicks. Kinda liked it, and, seemed to work ok.

-Brian in SLC

Partner brent_e

Jan 22, 2007, 8:00 PM
Post #12 of 29 (5671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as mr8615 said you should swing them before you buy them. But, on the other hand, I think you can find a sweet spot for a lot of different tools that you swing given a bit of time.

have you tried leashless yet? I haven't strapped my wrist in for 2 years and I don't think I will again!!! I have almost dropped a tool, though.

good luck and check your PM's!! I have a question for you!

Brent

anykineclimb

Jan 23, 2007, 1:27 AM
Post #13 of 29 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natec] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

natec wrote:
akicebum wrote:

I've got a set of spare picks for the Reactors. They weren't that hard to come by.

Does anyone have pictures of the "NEW" Cobras from Ouray or elsewhere?

I meant to get a pic of them (cobras AND vipers) but, um, didn't..
I have to agree with Sty; they're pretty flippin nice

andypro

Jan 23, 2007, 1:38 AM
Post #14 of 29 (5615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you to everyone for the food-for-thought.

I ended up ordering the Quarks. The seasons gonna be suck-ass-short this year unless it stays frozen into April (highly unlikely) and I've used the quarks before, so I decided to just stick with pseudo familiarity.

Next season may be different! Only time will tell. I'm still a chicken when it comes to leashless I think, but often I'm easily swayed to the better wayWink

--Andy P

Partner brent_e

Jan 23, 2007, 4:53 AM
Post #15 of 29 (5537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andypro wrote:

Next season may be different! Only time will tell. I'm still a chicken when it comes to leashless I think, but often I'm easily swayed to the better wayWink

--Andy P

GO LEASHLESS!!!!!!

did that do it????

enjoy your quarks!

dps

Jan 23, 2007, 5:03 AM
Post #16 of 29 (5521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Enjoy them! I love mine. For tearing up pitches of fresh pure ice, I never climb with anything but my Quarks with leashes. Especially when it's pitch after pitch after pitch...I need to go back to Cody and Canada soon!

I also love my Nomics, but I always come back to my Quarks.

Oh, and whoever asked about getting a micro-hammer for the Viper, the one that BD sells for the Reactor should work fine.

I don't have a picture of the new Cobras, but I will probably pick up a set. Which is saying a lot, because I haven't liked a BD tool in a few years.

(This post was edited by dps on Jan 23, 2007, 5:04 AM)

stymingersfink

Jan 24, 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #17 of 29 (5451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dps] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dps wrote:
I'm pretty sure there will be new Vipers next year as well, they are moving away from the minor axis orientation.

Which IHMO, would be a big mistake, but perhaps it will give people more choices for new gear. Of course I've only seen the new model, haven't had an opportunity to swing it into ice yet. Guess I'll have to hold onto my originals.

With their modular heads, any of the heads will fit any of their modern tools... micro and regurlar hammers, adzes, or the fusion's head blank. Pretty F'n cool, if you ask me.

akicebum

Jan 24, 2007, 12:31 AM
Post #18 of 29 (5451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dps] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whe buy a third set of tools, just buy new pics and climb the hell out of the tools you have. The Nomic is the best park and play tool on the market, and the quark is a pure ice alpine legend.

kixx

Jan 24, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #19 of 29 (5392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tools are getting so much better these days that the only two argumants left for leashed are to keep you from dropping them and increase the length of time to pump out.

To solve the former just put small lanyards on them from 5mm cord.

As for the decrease in stamina from going leashless you can build the muscles and techniques to prevent this and still keep all the benefits of the leashless. Just climb more leashless and you'll see what I mean. Everyone who has done this can back this claim up. Go leashless - even on long alpine and mutipitch.

Also, on the issue of plunging the shaft in softer alpine snow conditions I rarely find a use for this anymore. Use the high grip on a leashless tool and bury the pick and pinkie hook in the neve or whatever. This is much faster and less laborious than plunging.

This is my 2 cents on the subject after taking leashless tools on alpine climbs.

natec

Jan 24, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #20 of 29 (5304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kixx wrote:
Also, on the issue of plunging the shaft in softer alpine snow conditions I rarely find a use for this anymore. Use the high grip on a leashless tool and bury the pick and pinkie hook in the neve or whatever. This is much faster and less laborious than plunging.

This is my 2 cents on the subject after taking leashless tools on alpine climbs.

I agree with your statements about conditioning to go leashless and the benefit but I don't think that using a "high dagger" grip will cut it in a lot of situations. Particularly situations where you would plunge the shaft in order to use it as an anchor on a mixed snow and ice climb.

Some leashless renditions will still allow good plunging, tools like the quark and viper that don't have such radical grips.

kixx

Jan 24, 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #21 of 29 (5291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natec] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, a pick in neve will not work as an anchor, this is true. but niether do I use a plunged 50cm tool of any kind as an anchor. If I really need to plug something in and there is nothing more solid than snow I'll pull my picket out. (yes I still carry two pickets on snowy routes)

dps

Jan 25, 2007, 3:48 AM
Post #22 of 29 (5239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My biggest issue using my leashless tools (Nomics) on big alpine climbs is that the geometry sucks for climbing continuous 50-60 degree ice. I'll use my Quarks leashless in that situation, but why not use the leashes if I'm carrying them?

I actually enjoy the way my Quarks swing with the leashes on and frankly it adds a margin of safety when dealing with rock and ice fall to have the leash on your hand.

For harder alpine climbs (eg Smear of Fear on Longs Peak), I'll just take my leashless tools. But I find them fairly useless on long (all day or multiple day) climbs with a lot of 50-60 ice.

natec

Jan 25, 2007, 4:46 AM
Post #23 of 29 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No problem with pickets. Different strokes for different folks, or situations.

Partner brent_e

Jan 25, 2007, 5:18 AM
Post #24 of 29 (5200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dps wrote:
My biggest issue using my leashless tools (Nomics) on big alpine climbs is that the geometry sucks for climbing continuous 50-60 degree ice. I'll use my Quarks leashless in that situation, but why not use the leashes if I'm carrying them?
*snip*

I'm using leashless trango tools and a friend is on fusions. We agreed that the extra clearance made lower angled ice easier on bulges in particular. Never climbed a LOT of 60 degree ice, though.

dps

Jan 25, 2007, 5:48 AM
Post #25 of 29 (5185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Am I certifiable for thinking about "leashing" reactors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used my Quarks on the French Direct on Alpamayo and even the pick angle was a bit steep on that, causing me to alter my swing by the end of the day. I was sure happy for them on the crux, which had a small ice overhang on it the year I did it.

Using my leashless tools on that kind of ice would of been hell.

The ice was probably between 40-60 degrees for pitches and pitches, it's hard to say what the angle was.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook