RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

airmaster

Sep 17, 2002, 6:43 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Bloomington, IN
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Just wanted to see if there was going to be anyone around the bloomington area that might want to climb "unlikely wall" on Sunday the 22 of Sept. I am a beginner, and was hoping someone experienced could come and show me how to tie off toprope anchors and such. If anyone is interested leave me a PM or just respond to this message.

Thanks,
jason

andy_lemon

Sep 19, 2002, 5:27 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Bloomington, IN [In reply to]
Report this Post

Goto JL Waters and ask around... someone will take you with them. You might have to tip them a $20 but I doubt it. Unlikey isn't the greatest place in the world to learn how to climb.

Do you know of the area on campus were people boulder? That is a cool place, over by the tracks.

Partner greenspace

Sep 19, 2002, 3:53 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'll be in the B-town area in 2 weeks to check out "unlikely wall"....Andy, where is this bouldering place of which you speak? Definitely want to check that out too....Thanx

euphoricclimbing

Sep 19, 2002, 4:20 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey, is "unlikely wall" a good spot for outdoor? If so, how tall is the wall and what are some good routes? Any trad, or just top-rope and sport?

indy_climber

Sep 19, 2002, 4:27 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Unlikey wall is 'about' 30 ft tall. It's mostly top rope now. I believe there are a few bolted lines left. I have not been down to unlikey at all this year, the last I heard some of the bolts were needing replaced.

climbinscared

Sep 19, 2002, 5:31 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Unlikely is a good place to learn but not a great place to climb. Here is a link to the topo: http://poc.purdue.org/docs/unlikelywallmap.jpg
routes # 3,8,9,10, and 16 are fun to play around on.
Yes, the bolts are very old and many need replaced. I would back them up if you can. A #3 camolot will plug up the blast holes perfectly. Beware of the red mud if it rains.
When you go, please, park under the over-pass do not drive up the hill. It will cause access problems.

andy_lemon

Sep 19, 2002, 7:17 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Quote:Andy, where is this bouldering place of which you speak? Definitely want to check that out too....

Tenth St. and Jordan Ave. under the bridge. When I went we bouldered but some people top-rope the area. The routes vary from 10-20 feet. A crash pad should do. This is a mostly a practice area for college students... not much here but over a few beers it is a great place to swap stories. Especially in a nice college town like Bloomington.

[ This Message was edited by: andy_lemon on 2002-09-19 12:18 ]

climbinscared

Sep 20, 2002, 3:37 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hell that bridge is nothing special. If you want to mess around go to Hoosier Heights. It's only a hop, skip, and a jump or two south of the square.

andy_lemon

Sep 23, 2002, 3:29 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Please be sensitive to other people's feelings CS... being as I'm a college kid and all, that place is very special to me.

climbinscared

Sep 23, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

man that stuff is going to fall over slowly over the next few years. Some of the cool stuff has already collapsed. Needless to say, watch out for lose rock.

euphoricclimbing

Sep 23, 2002, 4:31 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Could someone give me directions to "unlikely wall," coming from michigan. I may try it out sometime. The only place to climb is southwest michigan is grand ledge, so I am up to trying new rock.

indy_climber

Sep 23, 2002, 5:32 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Take 37 south from Bloomington for about 10 miles, take the exit and park underneath the over pass. It shouldn't be too hard to spot with deep wheel ruts running up next to the side of the rock cut...in plain view from 37 south!

squeeker

Sep 24, 2002, 3:20 AM
Post #13 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

If there are so many climbers in bloomington, I would really like to climb anywhere on campus or off with some of you guys. I'm always looking for cheap ways to climb... and to be honest, I don't have the money to go to Hoosier heights all the time. So if any one is ever interested in climbing some time, please feel free to get in touch with me. My email is mmkirby@indiana.edu, and my dorm number is 857-6122. I've been climbing on and off for two years... I'll climb with anyone who wants a partner.
-Mack

tradguy

Oct 3, 2002, 10:09 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Euphoric,

Don't come to Bloomington to climb Unlikely Wall. Michigan is a hell of a long ways, and you will be sorely disappointed. If you're going to drive all the way down here, you might as well divert at Indy (or find a more direct route) and go to the Red River Gorge. It would only be an extra 2 or 3 hours, I think.

purplemonk

Nov 4, 2002, 8:41 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

red river gorge is more than an extra 2-3 hours from indy than unlikely... if you're in michigan and looking for someplace to climb, head towards yellowsprings in ohio (it's close to colombus), go up to pictured rocks in the northwest corner of your own state, head down to chicago and curve up to wisconsin to Devil's Lake up near madison- but for heaven's sake, don't come down here to bloomington to climb at unlikely. also, there's some more bouldering on the train tracks by the SRSC for b-town climbers... a lot of it needs to be cleaned, but there's one 11c toprope problem there, as well as some good traverse stuff... but not enough to get a good workout on. basically, unlikely is really just good for bouldering- like the rest of what we have out here. Hoosier Heights is what it comes down to for the better climbing in mid-indiana. ask around there for when people are heading to jackson falls or the gorge or dixon springs.

andy_lemon

Nov 5, 2002, 6:02 AM
Post #16 of 16 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

An 11c toprope? You haven't climbed it have you? Your profile says you wouldn't dare touch it...

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook