Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Kendall Cliffs
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sourpuss001

Jan 29, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Kendall Cliffs  (North_America: United_States: Ohio: Northeast_Ohio)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering why there is no climbing/bouldering at Kendall Cliffs. I realize the the Park system wants to preserve natural beauty, but climbing can be incoperrated with little damage. In NE Ohio there are so very few spots to practice/ train at so why not at this park.

The local climbing store (less than 2 miles away) does not seem to help with the issue. Maybe they can start by getting an Access Fund donation box like most climbing stores have. Maybe donate some cold shuts or bolts, start a petition to open climbing at VK. Is it $ out of there pocket?

I realize that Ohio not the best climbing area, but if we have this area lets utilize it to our (climbers) benefit.

Any answers or is the climbing community null/ void in this area???

Stash

ochossyone

Jan 31, 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #2 of 2 (2926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sourpuss001] Kendall Cliffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My understanding of some of the climbing restrictions and reasoning for area's in Ohio being closed to climbing is
1. the area holds rare native plant species that grow on and around the rock outcroppings
2. the rock is chossy and not very viable rock for climbing
3. There is an illusion of liability and the typical "idiots will sue us" clause
4. the misconception that climbing and climbers pose a threat of serious impact on an area. i.e. chalk, chalk, community trails, vegetation removal and/or trampling, etc...
Personally I have been to Brecksville, Nelson Ledges, and other little climbing areas in the state and I think the best way for our climbing community to win the war on access is to organize cleanups, stay away from trailside climbing as to cut down on the visual impact of climbing, use minimum impact when it comes to establishing and cleaning lines, and most importantly let the powers at be see that climbers are a positive influence on the environment. That we love to climb and we take some ownership of our local crags.

I don't think donating bolts, cold shuts, and/or donating money is the BEST way to change policy. I think it is a good cop out on really doing some good to change policy, not to mention a lazy a** approach.

Being a good stuard of the land and changing opinion through action I think is the way to maintain access we already have and gain access to the limited resources Ohio has to offer the climbing community.

Peace.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook