RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

thulani

Jan 10, 2007, 8:05 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2367 views)
Shortcut

Backpacking europe climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi. I'l try not to be vague here but I make no guarantees.

I'm heading for europe in may to spend about 3 months backpacking around. I have very little in the way of an itinerary but the countries on my list are France, Spain, Croatia, Switzerland, Norway (although I'm going to avoid sleeping there as I've heard it's horrendously expensive), Italy, Hungary, Czech republic, Germany. I plan to really get around.

So I'm interested to know where the good climbing areas are so I can focus my travel plans. Also I'm heading out alone so I would need to make contact with local climbers in order to get anywhere, so what organisations are in each of these countries that would allow me to join other climbers on meets. In SA we have the local MCSA which organises meets every weekend I was hopping there was something similar in some of the countries I mentioned. I mainly climb sport but am currently trying to get into trad by seconding so I can learn the ropes. I'm likely to be looking to do sport, DWS and bouldering (to a lesser extent, it's not really my favourite form but if there's nothing else I'll do it). Really interested in spain for the DWS. Thanks any advice about any of the countries I mentioned is welcome. Good cheap places to stay would also be appreciated.
Thanks.
Benjamin.

Partner tisar

Jan 11, 2007, 8:15 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thulani] Backpacking europe climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Benjamin!

Way to go in three months...

Norway seems to be a little off track in your list. And trying to avoid sleep might be even more expensive... Anyway, nice country and sure worth a visit.

Spain, Southern France and most parts of Italy will be incredibly hot from maybe end of June on. So you might consider placing them in the first half of your schedule. Though DWS in the Atlantic might be a little uncomfortable early may.

Consider hitting Slovenia on your way from Hungary to Czechia. Rasto (overlord) has loads of tips on that.

Since I'm not an expert on most of the countries: Germany is rather expensive to travel. Still there's a chance to get around on budget and climbing in the Pfalz, Frankenjura and the Donautal might be worth it. Take a look at the German db, I'm currently working on it.
If you hit Berlin (as I would strongly recommend) drop me a note. I'll be happy to show you 'round.

For really good global information on travelin in Europe check http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page. There are chapters for every country and even cities. Good thing to start with.

See you?

- Daniel

overlord

Jan 11, 2007, 8:40 AM
Post #3 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Backpacking europe climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if i were you, id go spain-france-italy-croatia (paklenica mostly) early on to avoid the heat, then slovenia-hungary-czech rep-germany-switzerland.

and if you do get to slovenia, drop me a lineTongue

seed1ckrunfast

Jan 12, 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #4 of 14 (2344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Benjamin!
Why travel alone, thats dangerous? Wait a year and go w/ my friends and I in May of 08. We're doing about the exact same thing. The more the merrier! Be safe though when you go. Pepper spray a big knife and quick feet!

Richard

thomasribiere

Jan 12, 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seed1ckrunfast] Backpacking europe climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why travel alone, thats dangerous
Since when? Europe is not dangerous.

overlord

Jan 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seed1ckrunfast wrote:
Benjamin!
Why travel alone, thats dangerous? Wait a year and go w/ my friends and I in May of 08. We're doing about the exact same thing. The more the merrier! Be safe though when you go. Pepper spray a big knife and quick feet!

Richard

have you watched 'the hostel'?

traveling in europe is pretty safe (offcourse there are some 'black spots') even when traveling alone. and a big knife would do more harm than good.

but i do agree, traveling in a group can be more fun sometimes. but, then again, it might not.

thulani

Jan 13, 2007, 9:44 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just thought I'd say thanks for all the advice. To the guy who said why go alone, wait for us. Dude I wish I could but if I hang around at home I might do something stupid like get a job. Then things would get cushy and I wouldn't be able to drop everything to travel. The way I see, if I leave before I let someone talk me into a normal life I might have a chance at adventure. I'm a film student and can tell you that we are highly trained to project a very unrealistic picture of the world. The audience does not want reality they want the spectacular. If I had seen hostel (which I haven't) I'm convinced it wouldn't have changed my opinions on europe. I will definitely look into slovenia. Thanks again. By this post I do not close this thread, I welcome anymore info, just thought I'd better prove I was still following.

miademus

Jan 15, 2007, 9:55 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Backpacking europe climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since when? Europe is not dangerous.
In reply to:

ribiere is right, europe is not dangerouse at all, espacially when you travel on the roads,u'll see a lot of farms and realy nice village ppl, espacialy in north france and south of germany,well infact city centres are likely bad sites,but only at nights...while your in germany try to find out where Klemm Loskot or maybe Udo Neuman is,he lives in Cologne, you should visit him,i've talked to him and it seemes he is leaving soon for some climbs on the other half of the globe....have a great time,

ps:i should probably do the same in some years.

uasunflower

Jan 16, 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good boy, nice philosophy, just try keeping at it Wink

seed1ckrunfast

Jan 29, 2007, 8:01 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey bro, thanks for the reassurance that europe really isnt that bad, but rather a safe place to travel, expecially w/ a group of friends. my friends and i are really looking forward to our trip next spring. U'll have to post the must see places once you get back so we can plan accordingly.. Take care, be safe in europe, good luck w/ your film career and stay away from those real jobs!

Richard

Imz

Jul 16, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi buddy, i will b in switzerland for a week from 29th july n would b looking for a partner, drop me a line if u r there around that time.

Cheers

seed1ckrunfast

Jul 18, 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Imz] Backpacking europe climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey bud, thanks for the reply but unfortunately all my friends pussed out on me and i cant afford the trip by my self, nor would it be as much fun so it looks as if Europe will have to live w/out me for a while.. take care and good luck!

RICHARD

Imz

Jul 18, 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries

fatoomchk

Jul 26, 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Backpacking europe climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Tisar - getting around Germany can be really cheap if you use this site: http://www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de/ (it's all in german, but is really good for hitching a lift with people)

Bejamin - yeah, I'm going to recommend that you make some time to hit Frankenjura near Nurnberg. I'm now living not far from Frankenjura and the sport climbing there is awesome. Also, you can camp so it can be pretty cheap. It helps if you have access to a car though, or can hook up with some locals for a day or 2.

good luck!

(This post was edited by fatoomchk on Jul 26, 2007, 11:31 AM)

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook