Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner kimgraves

Jan 30, 2007, 5:52 PM
Post #1 of 31 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Gang,

After September 11th the only communications that were working were people's Blackberry devices and email. Everything else was jammed up.

In a paranoid delusion (we were all a little/lotta nuts then) I went out and bought a pair of walkie-talkies: just so if it ever happened again, I'd have a way of keeping in touch with Masha if we got separated.

Now of course this is ridiculous. No one knows when or if another attack is going to occur and so you don’t carry a radio around with you - that really WOULD be paranoid. They sit at home in my climbing equipment box looking for a use. They have more use as a toy that my grandson uses when he comes to visit that a real tool. I've taken them to the Gunks thinking they would be useful for multipitch but always left them in the car. It's a little embarrassing - a high tech solution when simple voice and rope signals should and have always worked.

But this past weekend they came in very handy.

My partner, Matt, and I wanted to climb a WI4 in the Catskills called Jeff’s Wet Dream. The problem is that you have to drop into it and then climb back up. It’s in a deep chasm that a stream runs through. It potentially dangerous to try and walk along the stream bed if it’s not really frozen – and it’s been a very warm winter here. At the top of the climb is a small (10” maybe) tree that is used as a rap point. The problem is that the runoff that creates the climb runs all around the tree so you can’t approach it without crampons – a belay is prudent as well.

The TR tree is starting to go with all the bark worn away in the back by toprope slings. We decided to build the TR anchor off a much bigger tree that was 20 feet further back from the lip. We then rapped off a second single line making for a very easy and safe process. The problem of course is that the rap started 25 feet back from the edge with another 90’ down into a narrow gorge. There was no way we were going to be able to communicate. The status at the bottom was uncertain - would there be a place to stand and top rope and would the climb be even doable with all the warm weather we’d been having? I might need to Jumar out if it wasn’t.

Realizing I had the walkie-talkie’s with me, I handed one to Matt and rapped off setting the TR as I went. The walkie-talkie’s made everything easy. No YELLING, no “WHAT DID YOU SAY.” They allowed us to work together and be very calm about the whole process.

So I’m going to use them. The last time we went to Mt Washington we got separated and I had to descend to make sure Matt was okay. The WT would have been useful there. Sometimes Matt goes one way and I another looking for the start of a climb. They would be useful there. And of course wind, distance, and corners on multi-pitch are issues as well.

Still there is a nagging voice in my head saying “it’s cheating.” But at least it’s not sport climbing.Wink

Best, Kim

(This post was edited by kimgraves on Jan 30, 2007, 6:14 PM)

krusher4

Jan 30, 2007, 5:57 PM
Post #2 of 31 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimgraves] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not cheating geez....I've used them on walls it really makes the communicating a whole lot easier.

wanlessrm

Jan 30, 2007, 6:05 PM
Post #3 of 31 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phssed: Its not cheating! :OVER: Phssed:

jp_sucks

Jan 30, 2007, 6:26 PM
Post #4 of 31 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lived in Ontario years ago and used to climb at an unknown cliff with a huge river at it's base. We used radios for every climb there as communications were impossible. Rope tugs work for the occasional issue but get really annoying if you're climbing 15-20 pitches a day.

reno

Jan 30, 2007, 6:29 PM
Post #5 of 31 (1644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Use them from time to time myself, and don't consider it cheating at all.

Some routes in Red Rock Canyon outside Vegas.... again in the Wind River Range of Wyoming.

markc

Jan 30, 2007, 6:36 PM
Post #6 of 31 (1635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I regularly carry two-way radios on multipitch routes. If I can casually call down to my partner(s), I prefer to do so. However, there are times when wind or features makes verbal communication strained or impossible. Rope signals can work, but if you add in drag you're back to unclear communication. Radios take the guesswork out of the equation. They can certainly be overkill in some situations, but I wouldn't call them cheating.

primus

Jan 30, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #7 of 31 (1602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know why anyone would even consider the use of 2-way radios as cheating. :rolleyes:

anykineclimb

Jan 30, 2007, 7:26 PM
Post #8 of 31 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanlessrm] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wanlessrm wrote:
Phssed: Its not cheating! :OVER: Phssed:

Phssed: Roger that! Phssed

excellent for use on wandering routes, windy areas, or crowded places too.

kachoong

Jan 30, 2007, 7:34 PM
Post #9 of 31 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, it's great to use them. I used to use the same pair that we used on our motorcycles on the highway... ear pieces attached to the unit on your belt. Just duct tape them to your harness... voice activated.... works great.

jumpingrock

Jan 30, 2007, 7:37 PM
Post #10 of 31 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My experience thus far is that whenever I need a radio I have left them at home or in the car, and whenever I have them I don't need them. But no, it's not cheating in my mind. It's using a tool to facilitate fun and safety by enhancing efficiency.

markc

Jan 30, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #11 of 31 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Yep, it's great to use them. I used to use the same pair that we used on our motorcycles on the highway... ear pieces attached to the unit on your belt. Just duct tape them to your harness... voice activated.... works great.

My radios have kind of crappy clips, so I have them backed up with shock cord. I can easily unclip it from the back of the harness at a belay and then reclip before setting off on the next pitch. I've never really needed them mid-pitch, so voice activation isn't a priority. I guess it would be good if you were bored.

kachoong

Jan 30, 2007, 9:45 PM
Post #12 of 31 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
I've never really needed them mid-pitch, so voice activation isn't a priority. I guess it would be good if you were bored.

Yeah, we were really bored.... but it helped me get the "slack" message across, especially since I was so used to shouting it anyway. LMAO! Didn't help when I was in the crux moves and stupid jokes were being whispered across the airwaves. "so... this kangaroo comes hopping into a bar....".

markc

Jan 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #13 of 31 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
markc wrote:
I've never really needed them mid-pitch, so voice activation isn't a priority. I guess it would be good if you were bored.

Yeah, we were really bored.... but it helped me get the "slack" message across, especially since I was so used to shouting it anyway. LMAO! Didn't help when I was in the crux moves and stupid jokes were being whispered across the airwaves. "so... this kangaroo comes hopping into a bar....".

I sometimes climb as a party of three. Voice activation would make for an icy reception after asking, "Why the hell is he leading so slow?" Of course, it's always followed with an encouraging shout like, "Looking really good, man!"

scotchie

Jan 30, 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #14 of 31 (1413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use walkie talkies sometimes. They always help with distance, and usually with wind. But sometimes you can get around a corner that blocks the radio signal.

I girth-hitch a sling to the walkie-talkie and carabiner it to either my harness or my helmet strap. And I have to use climbing tape to hold the twist-volume in the right position.

When they work (and I remember to bring them on the trip), then they are really helpful.

Partner alexmac

Jan 30, 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #15 of 31 (1369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotchie] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

beep beep (battery low) ..... wind.... cold... beep...

rhyang

Jan 31, 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #16 of 31 (1354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes you cannot hear your partner shout 'off belay', etc. due to wind noise, waterfall noise, echoes off canyon walls, etc. In those situations you either need to agree on a set of rope signals ahead of time, or carry walkie-talkies.

Some sample rope signals :

- leader tugs 4 times -> off belay
- follower tugs 4 times back -> belay is off
- leader tugs 3 times -> you're on belay
- follower tugs 3 times back -> climbing

This is not foolproof of course - what if the rope gets stuck ? How many tugs is "that's me". If I know ahead of time that hearing my partner could be an issue I will bring walkie-talkies.

shimanilami

Jan 31, 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #17 of 31 (1334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhyang] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to be the fly in everyone's vaseline, using walkie-talkies is clearly cheating. Communicating at all is clearly cheating. Just like downclimbing to a rest spot is cheating.

Not sure who said it first, but anything less than onsight shoeless, chalkless, naked free soloing is cheating ... with or without radios.

Partner kimgraves

Jan 31, 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #18 of 31 (1322 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Using Walkie-Talkie’s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
anything less than onsight shoeless, chalkless, naked free soloing is cheating ... with or without radios.

Yea, this is my issue. It's not so much "cheating" as taking me further from the ideal of "adventure." It's clearly safer. It means my partner and I didn't have to work out all possibilities before hand and agree on what we would do in what case. It just made everything really easy. It removed some of the unknown of having to drop into a place and then climb your way out.

I'm of eight minds about this.

Best, Kim

Adk

Jan 31, 2007, 1:02 AM
Post #19 of 31 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To me it's called safety, just like rope is used for safety.

Now, if you don't mind screaming at the top of your lungs spooking all the beeutiful aminals away, go ahead, I guess.
In all honesty, I do see them just as a safety item. A simple piece of gear that has saved many lives and prevented other lives from being taken needlessly.

majid_sabet

Jan 31, 2007, 1:57 AM
Post #20 of 31 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Using Walkie-Talkie?s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should take them with you all them time cause when shi* hits the fan, the only think that may work is your $10 FRS. Now if you want to go farther then get your ham radio lic then you could use hi power hand held radio which gives much more power and range to talk.

getsomeethics

Jan 31, 2007, 6:33 AM
Post #21 of 31 (1207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Using Walkie-Talkie?s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just need some super small ones with an earpiece that are voice activated. handsfree

dingus

Jan 31, 2007, 6:54 AM
Post #22 of 31 (1193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getsomeethics] Using Walkie-Talkie?s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No radios aren't cheating.

Nylon... THAT'S CHEATING.

DMT

healyje

Jan 31, 2007, 9:40 AM
Post #23 of 31 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Using Walkie-Talkie?s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cell phones are cheating - radios are simply an annoying crutch for those unwilling or incapable of communicating with a rope. And to be honest, if you're paying atttention to what's happening with the rope and you're partner at the other end of it you should be half ahead of the game to begin with...

shimanilami

Jan 31, 2007, 4:47 PM
Post #24 of 31 (1105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Using Walkie-Talkie?s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At the root of the whole "cheating" debate is the question of "style". What is cheating, really? A simple definition is that cheating is breaking the rules. But whose rules are we talking about? And what place do rules have in climbing, anyway?

One of the reasons climbing appeals to me is that there are few hard and fast rules. Admittedly, most of us agree that we shouldn't bolt cracks, nail clean routes, etc. But questions about style (e.g. "onsight", "cheating", "poor technique") really only matter to style-mongers.

Are you a style-monger? If so, your issues are your own. If not, then fuck it.

healyje

Jan 31, 2007, 4:52 PM
Post #25 of 31 (1100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Using Walkie-Talkie?s: is it cheating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Are you a style-monger? If so, your issues are your own. If not, then fuck it.

It's not a matter of cheating, but of annoying when you aren't alone at a crag. I recently was treated to the ring of cell phones for belay signalling by a party ahead of us on a route this past year and it sucked. Getting away from that sort of thing is why I go climbing. The screech of radios is similarly irritating.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook