RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

maltek

Sep 27, 2001, 4:20 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Topo in rc.com
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know if this have been discussed in the past and I know that there is route descriptions...
But It could be nice to have complete site topos. I really beleive that this informations is for the community and is a kind of informations that should be on a site le RC.com. I am ready to help the admin if you want.
If you don't think, do you have good suggestions of web site. I know DrTopo.com, but is there any other one.

JM

fiend

Sep 27, 2001, 5:31 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Topo in rc.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This could possibly work. We may be able to set up a Topo upload similar to the Photo submission. They could be easilly linked to the right area from the submission area.

I think one of the big problems is that they would have to be done by users. I don't think we would want to meddle with copyright problems of people copying topos from guidebooks.

maltek: give us some time to think about this and we'll see what we can do.

Anyone else willing to submit or help out with topo map design?

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Sep 27, 2001, 5:47 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This has always been a thought of mine to allow users to upload topos and or photographs of the climbing areas. There are a couple issues.

1) Copyrights; as fiend says we can't go photocopying other people's work without their permission.
2) Disk space; there are currently 1500+ climbing areas with potentially hundreds of routes in each one. If we made a topo of each one we would far exceed our disk space. We need to make sure these are as small as possible but still are useful.

Other than that, the reason I allow you to attach a photograph to a climbing area and section is for this exact reason. In fact I will automatically show your topo on the section.

The only other thing above and beyond this is to be able to compress all of the Area information into some sort of PDF or othewise easy to print format. Other than the Print Me link on the left, I don't have any plans for this.

maltek

Sep 27, 2001, 6:08 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I understand the copyrigth issue, but from waht I heard and it makes a lot of sense, we from book:

Can use:
1) the route difficulty degree (5.8, 5.10d, etc..)
2) The name of the route
3) Length, number of bolts, sports, TR

Can't use:
1) Descriptions
2) Photo or drawing
3) Appreciation of the route
4) Quality of protection

As far as disk space, if we do it in PDF format, it's for sure smaller than any digital pictures in any format. And, for a great part, the topo are only writings (black and white).

And, I think that people will agree to trade a picture for the TOPO.

I think that the benefit for the community is really important.

But you are right, people must be informed of what they can use from book, and what they CAN'T, and some sort of check will have to be done to make sure that nobody brake this.

JM

[ Ce Message a été édité par: maltek le 2001-09-27 11:10 ]

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook