RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

brandon_foto

Feb 4, 2007, 2:45 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1077 views)
Shortcut

Want to get into Big wall aid
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

want to get into big wall and Alpine climbing. I am trad/sport climber about 5.8trad and 5.10 sport. I have a full trad and sport rack. I want to get into aid climbing then later alpine. I live in Texas for now and might be moving to Cleveland,ohio for school. are there steps I can take now to help me progress in my goals. I have a BD Blizzard harness. Been thinking about getting a Yates shield harness for big walls and climbing photography. I was wondering is it better to just get more of an all around alpine/trad harness or a Shield is the way to go. What other things i need to do as for conditioning or training. Sorry about posting this twice I just want info from people of both disciplines.

giza

Feb 4, 2007, 4:22 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brandon_foto] Want to get into Big wall aid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, you won't want the Yates harness if you're doing anything in the alpine - it's heavy and bulky. Just use a regular harness for the time being.

More importantly, heed this advice from Tradgirl.com:

A good friend (and strong free climber at that) recently expressed interest in getting into aid. I gave the beta I had, then sent him the following disclaimer:

1) Aid is addicting. You can expect the addiction to begin slowly, then grow rapidly to horrible proportions in no time at all. Like otheraddictions, you'll enter a period of denial and bury your depression in another aid lead.

2) Aid is expensive. Expect to spend loads of money on nuts, biners cams, etc. Till you have at least 5 sets of each. You will have to buy all thetrick goodies. If you aren't one already, you will probably become an ice climber which of course means you will need MORE GEAR. And a bigger truck to haul it all around in.

3) Aid is slow. Your speech may begin to take on a southern drawl. You may be sweating through an A4 section, only to look down and see your partner sleeping at the belay. Go up to point 2 above and add a Gri-Gri to the list.

4) Aid is infectious. It gets in your blood, then other forms of upward mobility are contaminated. You no longer worry about grabbing gear on free routes, using bolts for footholds on sport routes, etc.

5) Aid breeds complacency. You no longer care if your partner takes 4 hours to lead a 60' pitch - or if your lead takes 7 hours. You'll quit working for a redpoint on a hard sport route and instead, like the French, celebrate getting to the anchor regardless of how you got there. You'll watch the sand trash your gear and instead of being bummed, you'll lookforward to buying more gear.

6) Aid changes your outlook. Short routes become intolerably boring. Everything in life begins to look different. Part of that is probably because your body begins to take on sort of a forward curl and you find yourself often staring at your feet.

The bottom line is that you should avoid aid climbing unless you look forward to being a broke, infected, complacent, slow-moving gear junkie with a monster rack (sing along) with a faraway gaze in your eyes and a bit of a drawl.

(This post was edited by giza on Feb 4, 2007, 4:23 PM)

moose_droppings

Feb 4, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...6;page=unread#unread

Partner tattooed_climber

Feb 4, 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Want to get into Big wall aid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well said steve

rockprodigy

Feb 12, 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #5 of 5 (851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brandon_foto wrote:
are there steps I can take now to help me progress in my goals.

Yes, get outta texas and don't go to ohio.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook