Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Girls: how much do we need each other out there?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbsomething

Sep 17, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #1 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Girls: how much do we need each other out there?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

GIRLS: for a day or two on the rocks, or a road trip, how necessary do you think it is to have a female peer in your party? Are you okay heading out with just a male partner (who, for the sake of discussion, is not your significant other), or being the only gal among 2 or more men? Or does being the only girl intimidate you?

Especially for women new to the sport, do you like having a woman around as you get adjusted to your wonderful new world? Would you rather be taught by a woman?

MEN: (because you are, after all, the majority in this sport) Do you like to have at least 2 women in your party, if/when you have any women at all, so they have each other? Do you think a lone girl would be intimdated, uncomfortable, or maybe a bit bored by all-male surroundings?

Be honest here

~Hillary

chakan

Sep 17, 2002, 11:04 PM
Post #2 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Girls: how much do we need each other out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my first mentor was a girl!! she was awesome.... didn`t phase me at all that she was waaaaay better than me and she always brought her girlfriend to the crags when we went on a climbing weekend. so I was the only male with 2 woman... didn`t make me feel uncomfortable at all!! They roxed!!

not sure if a lone girl would feel uncomfortable.. being the lone male didn`t make me uncomfortable.... Tho I did bring my x-girlfriend with me when it was just me and her and my male climbing partner... she was uncomfortable but it was more the height than her being the only girl.

[ This Message was edited by: chakan on 2002-09-17 16:13 ]

rock_diva

Sep 17, 2002, 11:14 PM
Post #3 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on the situation. My first climbing partner was a guy and we rarely had other women climbing with us (we did have the pleasure of climbing with Climberchic and Climbsomething). But we were good friends and knew each other well. It seemed only natural to road trip together. Now he's married so it would be uncomfortable.

I've road tripped with different guys since then... the funnest being a group in City of Rocks. I was the only female for a few days there and loved it!

That being said, I think it would be so cool to have an all-chic road trip sometime! Now that's something you don't see everyday!

[ This Message was edited by: rock_diva on 2002-09-17 16:20 ]

bigevilgrape

Sep 17, 2002, 11:15 PM
Post #4 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im always the only girl. its not a big deal for me unless the guys are a bunch of asses

rocks4jules

Sep 17, 2002, 11:15 PM
Post #5 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In all honesty, being with guys doesn't bother me at all. It is always nice to have another female along -- for conversation sake and all, but I'd rather climb and be taught by a guy. I'm heading out on a road trip this weekend to Kokanee Glacier to do some ice/snow climbing with 10 people I don't know (mostly all guys). I think there is another girl, but hey, we'll have a great time male or female! Thanks -- great topic.

Have fun and CLIMB ON!!!

Jules

thrillseeker05

Sep 17, 2002, 11:18 PM
Post #6 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first started climbing it was the girls that took care of me, they would offer advice and support. So I just wanted to start off by saying thanks.
We have a few girls in our group and I have noticed that they do like it when another female climber is with them. They work together and even get more competitive rather then just giving up because “guys are stronger” whatever ..
I think that the girls like climbing with the guys.. and don’t mind being the only one.. but when another girl is there I think they get into a groove better.. just my observation.

climbchick

Sep 17, 2002, 11:19 PM
Post #7 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm totally cool with being the only female and/or going on a trip with a guy, and that's usually how it ends up anyway. It's probably because I was such a tomboy when I was a kid. As an adult, I've always had more male friends than female, even before I started climbing. My best friend is a guy. Doesn't faze me.

Partner drector

Sep 17, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #8 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a guy... My flight instructor was a girl and it didn't phase me so there's no ego problem for me. I've yet to climb with a girl although I have no problem with it. I think that I would feel uncomfortable at first if I were the only guy in a group.

Dave

grigrigirl78

Sep 17, 2002, 11:27 PM
Post #9 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love hang'n with the guys, my 2 partners are both guys with significant others and we all get along great. I just recently found a female partner and she's just as great, so as long as I have a great partner...male or female and I'm climbing as hard as I can it's all good!

climbsomething

Sep 17, 2002, 11:29 PM
Post #10 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back to answer my own question

I think thrillseeker has a good point. I don't mind being the only girl, but when my chickie-poos Andria, Brandy and Jaimie are out there, I have that much more fun! We have taken many trips in a variety of combinations. Still, guys rarely intimidate me, on the basis of their being guys.

I am not quite a tomboy, but I am not a girly girl either. Two brothers, no sisters, and an aversion to dresses and other feminine trappings, like brushing my hair , have always made me a little less "pink." When I was younger, girls thought I was weird, but the feeling was mutual

Now, I have girlfriends, but they're not much girlier than I am. We all manage to find each other eventually

rocks4jules

Sep 17, 2002, 11:31 PM
Post #11 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice observation, thrillseeker05! I think you hit the nail on the head for this topic. So young, but yet so wise!!! Thanks.

Jules

climberchic

Sep 17, 2002, 11:35 PM
Post #12 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel like I've climbed with about 100 different people and they are 99% guys. I would love to find some regular female partners that can challenge me and teach me new ways and techniques to climb. Unfortunately, I've found that women (with the exception of rock_diva )flake a lot more than men. I love my male climbing partners now, but would like to have a all-female outing one time and see if I climb harder than what I'm climbing now.

~Erica

the_elk

Sep 17, 2002, 11:42 PM
Post #13 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was introduced to climbing by men, I always tend to go on road trips with men, I really don't mind being the only girl on road trips.
I think it has something to do with growing up with 4 brothers... I tend to have quite a lot of male friends that climb, and there's never really been an aversion to date any of them... (that said, I'm now dating a guy I've known for years).
I like climbing with guys because they generally push me harder. But I do have one great climbing chick bud who works herself, and me, just as hard as the blokes. The climbing group generally consists of her and I and the 6 or so blokes. But we are generally seen as another couple of blokes, and I actually really appreciate that.
Cheers,
Elk

rockchick

Sep 17, 2002, 11:47 PM
Post #14 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first climbing partner was a guy (my cousin) then i stopped climbing with him for a bit and was climbing with another guy, then started climbing with my cousin again and on and off ill climb with some other friends but they are always guys.
Im not in the least bit bothered about climbing with all guys.
Ive only climbed with females a few times because of personality differences, so from my experiences i would rather climb with just guys but the few females i have climbed with i really enjoyed it

So i guess in the end i'm undecided

climberchic

Sep 18, 2002, 12:08 AM
Post #15 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ski~

I don't think her post was about meant literally but was more of a dicussion starter about how much do/or don't need female companionship.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Hillary.

~Erica

Partner dondiego

Sep 18, 2002, 12:16 AM
Post #16 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went with a group of girls one time and they kept joking between themselves things that they wouldn't include me on. Also, I think that they were always looking to see if I was checking them out like we guys just can't control ourselves around chicks. Kinda disheartning. I didn't have that much fun therfore I have not repeated that trip though I have been asked to go with them frequently.

-Don Diego-

froggy

Sep 18, 2002, 12:17 AM
Post #17 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi
I think this is a great topic!
Um.... where to start?
I think it depends on the guys that I climb with, but for the majority - it is great to find women that climb as well or better than you, so you can be supportive in helping push the others limits.
The other day another female climber told me 'that watching me lead was an inspiration to her, and she is now stepping up to the plate and leading more.' With that comment it inspired me to step up and start climbing harder stuff again. Last Saturday I lead my first 5.8 pitch at Tahquitz with this inspiration, which was huge for me.
So, yes I think that women help other women reach their limits and give a very comfortable and positive environment for this. But, I have seen it go the other way too... Where some women get jealous and freak out... and some men are very supportive and easy going...
I guess it depends on the person more than the sex of the individual.

spidergirl

Sep 18, 2002, 12:25 AM
Post #18 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, living in the town over run by army dudes, its hard to find quality female climbers. i've usually been the only chick when i've gone. or rather, the only girl willing to get her nails dirty and try something scary and fun...

hey froggy! how've you been girl?!

froggy

Sep 18, 2002, 12:29 AM
Post #19 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good, how about you - it has been quite some time since I have heard from you
Climbing a lot?

climberchic

Sep 18, 2002, 12:29 AM
Post #20 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahaah...Sara!

See my reply to your post in the "lead" thread. Very true....

Partner missedyno

Sep 18, 2002, 12:31 AM
Post #21 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, my only chicky climbing friend just moved to africa for a year

it's difficult... all the climbing partners i know are guys, and i have a serious boyfriend, but we can't always climb together...

it would be great to meet up with some other climber chicks, and i'm really trying.... but girls get catty and threatened and strangely competitive....

sigh.

maiorlive

Sep 18, 2002, 12:41 AM
Post #22 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second dondiego's observation. The ladies enjoyed the "girl talk" (their words). I was warned on the drive down that since they had had to put up with testosterone talk in the past, I could expect to endure a heavy dose of estrogen:roll:. Based on that experience, I think there are women who prefer climbing with other women, at least on occassion.

Personal preference: I like to climb. Gender issues will get in the way if people make a big deal of them. I decided after that one weekend that when the supposed "gender divide" gets too much attention, it gets difficult to communicate and that's damn scary no matter which side of the rope you're on.

W

deafclimber

Sep 18, 2002, 12:59 AM
Post #23 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mostly i go out to climbing areas with some gals. my male friends prefer watching football, baseball, or other popular sports on tv on weekends which bore me to death so i bring my female partners to climbing areas. i do teach them how to do these climbing stuffs. they seem having a ball with me.

indigo_nite

Sep 18, 2002, 1:01 AM
Post #24 of 43 (7281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for supportiveness, my guy climbing friends can be as supportive as women. and women that I've climbed with can be as competitive as men supposedly are.

for a new group, yes, I'd rather have at least one other woman. conversationally, it can be more relaxing to chat w/ women but then some of my guy friends have their own style of banter which is much like stand-up comedy and enjoyable.

lately I wonder though if the climbing guys' non-climbing significant others mind when they take off for a weekend w/ another girl... I could expect it somewhat.

climberchic

Sep 18, 2002, 2:36 AM
Post #25 of 43 (7278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Girls, gurrls, chics, women, womyn...it's all the same to me.

I think any of those terms hold negative connotations if you let them. I see them as descriptions of the female gender and therefore hold power, meaning, strength, and femininity...all of which I cherish.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook