RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

kane_schutzman

Feb 10, 2007, 7:38 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1656 views)
Shortcut

VIDEO GUIDE TO AID CLIMBING VIDEO By: Don Reid
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just ordered this in hopes of it being a good video to show me basics of bigwall and aid. Just wondering if anyone else has it and if they thought it was good or what...Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/...01&rd=1&rd=1

altelis

Feb 11, 2007, 8:12 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] VIDEO GUIDE TO AID CLIMBING VIDEO By: Don Reid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good intro, a little basic, and some things are kinda outdated. but overall, if you paid good cheap ebay prices it was worth it

kane_schutzman

Feb 11, 2007, 8:21 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] VIDEO GUIDE TO AID CLIMBING VIDEO By: Don Reid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awsome,

Now what is the best for an intro into bigwall? The most updated, understandable, with good picture?

west_coast_climber

Feb 11, 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] VIDEO GUIDE TO AID CLIMBING VIDEO By: Don Reid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i honestly think this book's got some great stuff;
http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/...ctdetails.cfm?PC=631

i recently picked up this video (http://www.mountaingear.com/...e/MG/item/640718/N/0) for cheap on ebay cause i thought the name implied that it really emphasized "clean" technique. however, i found it to be more of a general "learn to aid" video. kinda boring, but had a couple good tips in it.

kane_schutzman

Feb 13, 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [west_coast_climber] VIDEO GUIDE TO AID CLIMBING VIDEO By: Don Reid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Man,

I have watched the video three times now. Looks like a ton of work, but something I really do want to try. There are still some area's like anchor setting that I would like to learn more on.

dalfollo

Feb 15, 2007, 3:27 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the video, as it is a good intro to seeing it being done (just a wanna-be here).

The Mountaineer's Big Wall book is very good, but can be had cheaper through half.com, overstock.com and sometimes as a used book via amazon searches for around $12.

If you are looking for a wonderful book, certainly for the history of worldwide Big Wall efforts, and technique a la' 1971...get a copy of Doug Scott's Big Wall Climbing....fantastic! (temper the old-school technique newer books).

HTH

kane_schutzman

Feb 17, 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dalfollo] VIDEO GUIDE TO AID CLIMBING VIDEO By: Don Reid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys,

The video is really basic, and thats what I needed first. I just purchased the Clean Walls Video in hopes of getting some more knoweledge, and hopefully some more technical information on placements and achors. Thanks!

west_coast_climber

Feb 19, 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kane_schutzman wrote:
I just purchased the Clean Walls Video in hopes of getting some more knoweledge, and hopefully some more technical information on placements and achors. Thanks!

I dunno, i found the video pretty lacking. it covers overall systems involved in aiding, but other than "don't beat out soft rock with pitons" the video really didn't do much else. honestly, i think you can learn the most about gear placements from an hour of aiding of top rope.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook