RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

fearlessclimber

Feb 18, 2007, 2:12 AM
Post #1 of 14 (3279 views)
Shortcut

what is a good shoe for aid climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there a shoe that has a good stiff midsole so that it wont kill your feet while aiding los of pitches, also is there a shoe that works for that and good for swithing from aid to free?

wallmonkey35

Feb 18, 2007, 3:24 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fearlessclimber] what is a good shoe for aid climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know how hard of free climbing you are planning on doing, but any good , sturdy aproch shoe should work. Check out the montrai D7, Its always worked well for me.

Partner holdplease2

Feb 18, 2007, 4:15 AM
Post #3 of 14 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallmonkey35] what is a good shoe for aid climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can get a pair of scarpa lite ascents, they are the bomb. I'm on my sixth pair. They are discontinued but there are still some deals online. Here's what makes them good:

* Many eyelets for laces - you can fit them very precisely
* Vibram rubber - softer C4 stuff wears too fast from jugging and repetative use around the big toe. Their vibram rubber is dot pattern but smooth around the "smearing" part of the shoe. Perfect for switching to free.
* Stiff midsole soas to reduce fitigue.

Things NOT to get in a wall shoe:

One with an exposed foam midsole. You want the rand to cover the foam on the inside of the forefoot to prevent wear. (The whole la sportiva line is like this, in the long term not good.)

Don't get the 5.10 mountain masters, they fall apart.

A clip in loop is very nice.

A boot is going to be toooo heavy. You lift your legs up and down alot on the wall. A good sturdy low-top shoe will be fine.

I hope this helps, have fun shopping!

-Kate.

miavzero

Feb 18, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #4 of 14 (3236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really like the madrock fanatic. they are stiff, have a narrow toe profile and climb exceptionally well.

Partner climbinginchico

Feb 18, 2007, 5:27 AM
Post #5 of 14 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a pair of these: http://www.akuus.com/...dart=547-168-PE06usa and love them to death.

I'll probably wear them on my first wall.

fearlessclimber

Feb 18, 2007, 5:31 AM
Post #6 of 14 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallmonkey35] what is a good shoe for aid climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ill be climbing around 10 or 11 crack on the nose, the rest of it will be aid. i think ill check out the scarpas, sounds good

flamer

Feb 18, 2007, 8:10 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fearlessclimber wrote:
ill be climbing around 10 or 11 crack on the nose, the rest of it will be aid. i think ill check out the scarpas, sounds good

If you are climbing the nose, and you climb 5.10 and 5.11 legit...than you want to be doing it in free climbing shoes.
I regularly climb walls in free shoes...generally for speed. The only exception being if the climbing is almost exclusively aid...and short bits of easy free climbing.
But for routes like the nose...where you'll hopefully be out of your aiders more than in....you should be leading in free shoes. Try something boardlasted, my favorites have always been the Boreal ace's and ballet golds.
You should also bring along a sturdy pair for jugging..avoid doing this in free shoes at all cost's!
Most approach shoes work well for this.

josh

josh

Partner euroford

Feb 19, 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #8 of 14 (3136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been very happy with my montrail d7's. great support in the aiders, pretty solid freeclimbers as well.

beat my feet to hell on the descent though. the narrow towbox is great for crack climbing and getting your toes in the aiders, but in my case descending from the diamond with a pig on my back was asking a little much i suppose.

stymingersfink

Feb 20, 2007, 1:41 AM
Post #9 of 14 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] what is a good shoe for aid climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

holdplease2 wrote:
If you can get a pair of scarpa lite ascents, they are the bomb. I'm on my sixth pair.

A boot is going to be toooo heavy. You lift your legs up and down alot on the wall. A good sturdy low-top shoe will be fine.

-Kate.
I went with pro ascent (a boot version of the lite) and love it for all the reasons mentioned by Kate.

Per her comment that a boot will be tooo heavy, I might reply: sure, it's a little heavier than the lite ascent, but it also offers better ankle support than a low-top, something I rate as important when hiking to the base with heavy haul bags, not to mention the walk-off from the top.

On the down side (if there is one) they are a little stiffer than the lite, as the nylon shank foes full length of the footbed. This makes it far more comfortable when placing one's toes against the wall, as it keeps the foot from being scrunched up. This also means the toe will wear faster on the shoe, especially if hauling over slabby stuff. I had positive resoles in J-tree give it a thick rubber toe-cap to extend the life of them, it seems to have helped.

As far as the free-climbing goes, haven't climbed harder than 5.8 on a big wall with them, but have done some 5.10 trad/sport climbs with them in LCC/BCC for practice.

Partner holdplease2

Feb 20, 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] what is a good shoe for aid climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SF - Yep, the Pro Ascents are great, totally agreed. When I do walls in winter (rare these days) that's what I wear. They do give great support along with all of the features of the lite ascent. I think they also have a gore-like material.

FWIW - I've heard many good things about the Montrails, too.

-Kate.

sspssp

Feb 22, 2007, 5:02 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've picked up a pair of evolv Docon.

http://www.evolvesports.com/DOCON.htm

I haven't tried them for aid yet, but they look pretty reasonable as a big wall shoe (and a high performance approach shoe). It is marketed as a beginner/rental shoe. The shoe is stiff, the toe box is roomy, it comes with a very durable rand/toe cap (they want to sell these shoes for rentals to beginners after all).

They aren't high tech climbing shoes, but they are going to climb better than the typical approach shoe.

Unfortunately, despite what the web site says, it does not have dot rubber on the heel (would have been nice for the approach descent).

(This post was edited by sspssp on Feb 22, 2007, 5:04 PM)

thabadcharacter

Feb 22, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

be careful sizing the montrail D7s. i sized em kinda small to perfrom better on free, but the lack of proper heel material lets the rigid outer heel cup dig into your own heel and ends p wearing through and becoming prety uncomfortable after not too long.

five ten insights have given me nothing to complain about

graniteboy

Feb 23, 2007, 1:20 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thabadcharacter] what is a good shoe for aid climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, HELL...if you actually DO climb 5.11, then the vast majority of the nose is free anyway....it's not like it's an Aid climb or anything...you can do basically the whole thing free (with a couple pendulums) to the top of texas flake, then you have a short bolt ladder, a 10c crack, then another pendulum. AFter that, half of the great roof pitch is french-freeable, then it's back to free climbing to camp 5, then one thin aid pitch, then free to camp 6. a few aid moves on that next pitch, then it's free till the final overhang.....ALL TOLD, MAYBE 350 feet of Aid on the whole damned route.

So WHY are we talking about BIGWALL BOOTS????

Use some slightly burly freeclimbing shoes. And french free everything you can.

fearlessclimber

Feb 23, 2007, 1:33 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [graniteboy] what is a good shoe for aid climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya i know i can free about 90 percent of the nose but ill need some comfy aid/free shoes for other things that are mandatory free.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook