RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

wes_allen

Feb 22, 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3314 views)
Shortcut

New Canon dSLR, 1D Mark III
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://web.canon.jp/...s1dm3/swf/flash.html

Oh yeah! Pretty much everything I could want in a body. Glad I didn't go ahead with the MarkII N, and waited. Will be on the pre-order list for this for sure!

(This post was edited by wes_allen on Feb 22, 2007, 10:55 PM)

bigfatrock

Feb 22, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] New Canon dSLR, 1D Mark III [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I too am glad I waited. I still have to see how the tax man treats me this year. I have a bad feeling I will owe quite a bit this year. If not I am likely going to splurge on this. Canon also put out a new 16-35mm and 580ex as well. The anti dust feature sounds awesome, especially since I plan on shooting a lot more climbing and outdoor stuff. It sounds to good to be true.

pico23

Feb 23, 2007, 5:54 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep on the PopPhoto site as well.

nice looking rig.

10FPS and live view, Olympus abandoned live view, so i suprises me it would end up on a pro camera. To me though it's really not useful, unless, the LCD can be flipped, such as for ground level macro or odd angle shots. I think thats why it wasn't very well received in the Oly bodies.

On a similar note to the 10FPS, Sony produced a CMOS that records full speed film (video) but can extract full resolution images, no missed frames or blurry picks.

I always thought that one day (about 10 years from now) cameras as we know them would disappear, and we'd be essentially shooting super high resolution video that we extract stills from. The Sony chip reinforces I will be right.

Paul_Y

Feb 23, 2007, 6:32 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] New Canon dSLR, 1D Mark III [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use to use live view (live image seen on a tv monitor) when working with clients while setting up shots. The framing and angle and so forth could be discussed more quickly than with shooting and viewing the still on a computer. As an added bonus, When using hot lights (video/film lights) it is just like shooting video. You can see exactly what the shot will look like before you shoot it. Can save a lot of set up time.

(This post was edited by Paul_Y on Feb 23, 2007, 6:46 PM)

wes_allen

Feb 23, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] New Canon dSLR, 1D Mark III [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The big thing for the live view, I think, is for remote shooting. Wired in a studio, or via WiFi on site - something like from the backboard of a b-ball game, etc. And for help with manual focusing, since you can really blow up the image in screen. The FPS and mpix are neat, but all the other "little" things are what really blow me away. That and the ISO 6400!

Some PJ's are already just shooting video, and extracting, or, at the least shooting both still and video, so I don't think you are wrong about that at all. Hard to say if there will still be anyone doing still in ten years, but you just never know.

pico23

Feb 24, 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That makes sense about the live view. I still think it would be more useful (but less sturdy) with a swivel or at least tiltable screen. Heck for the $4000-5000 the M3 is going to cost, make the screen user replaceable.

The 6400 does blow me away. probably the biggest achievment if it's usuable.

wes_allen

Jan 4, 2008, 5:49 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, after watching all the AF issues with this body, and feeling like they were fixed for the most part, I took the jump a week ago, and got a new, blue dot one. Shot a wedding, a UK basketball game, and a few other random things, and I am happy for sure. After so much negative internet chatter, I am not 100% confident in it yet, but moving that way. Going to try to give it a workout this weekend to make sure ai servo is good. I know the nikon D3 looks pretty rad as well, so if you are a nikon person, welcome to the full frame and usable high ISO world!

Just messing around tonight, you can see noise in the 6400 on the full sized images, and esp. at 100% crop on a 23" display, but 3200 is really clean. Maybe a stop better then my 5d, though would need to shoot a bit more to say for sure.

ISO 3200:

ISO 6400

pico23

Jan 4, 2008, 6:52 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wes_allen wrote:
So, after watching all the AF issues with this body, and feeling like they were fixed for the most part, I took the jump a week ago, and got a new, blue dot one. Shot a wedding, a UK basketball game, and a few other random things, and I am happy for sure. After so much negative internet chatter, I am not 100% confident in it yet, but moving that way. Going to try to give it a workout this weekend to make sure ai servo is good. I know the nikon D3 looks pretty rad as well, so if you are a nikon person, welcome to the full frame and usable high ISO world!

Just messing around tonight, you can see noise in the 6400 on the full sized images, and esp. at 100% crop on a 23" display, but 3200 is really clean. Maybe a stop better then my 5d, though would need to shoot a bit more to say for sure.

ISO 3200:
[image]http://www.radicalangles.com/photos/albums/userpics/m3gym001.jpg[/image]

ISO 6400
[image]http://www.radicalangles.com/photos/albums/userpics/m3gym006.jpg[/image]

It's kinda funny because when the 1DM3 specs came out I don't think anyone imagined it but the D3 blows this away...it's almost improbable that Nikon didn't only match what seemed like an impossible camera to match but just blew it away, and the best part is (if you are a nikon shooter) there are 2 (as in two) more D3's on the way. Actually let me rephrase that. There is a FF model coming out above the D3 (i assume the D3X ) and a FF model below it.

So the D3 is meant to compete with the 1DmIII and you guessed it, a challenger for the 5D and 1Ds.

Nikon dragged their ass but they really put out a killer product line. Now they need to fill out the lens lineup.

A trusted source who has more money than god, and owns just about every DSLR/SLR ever made (no joke) said he sent back the 14-24 2.8 Sharp as a prime Nikon because the flare was so bad it was impossible to avoid. He did say the lens was sharp, just not usable. Perhaps a bad copy?

Anyway, once the M3 AF issues are fully resolved (according to Rob Galbraith who is working with Canon they have not been resolved fully, just improved) both Nikon and Canon shooters will pretty much have some impressive rigs to shoot sports with for those who have $4000K to spend.

Oh, if you're a Canon person (and I'm just messing with Wes on this) keep in mind the FBI just bought a stockpile of Nikon D3s because of the ISO 26,500, maybe in 18mos you'll have that too if Canon doesn't rush the M3N or M4....

(This post was edited by pico23 on Jan 4, 2008, 6:54 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook