RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

TBlake84

Feb 20, 2007, 1:12 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Pack Help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, I am starting to acquire gear for a trip to Denali in Spring of 2008. I am looking to get a new pack first. My old one is an external frame and is overdue for a replacement. I have narrowed it down to two packs, the Gregory Palisade and the Osprey Crescent 85. Both are the same volume but have quite different harness systems. I was hoping someone here had experience with either on alpine skis or towing a sled and how the loading felt. Right now I am leaning towards the Osprey but I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

anykineclimb

Feb 20, 2007, 1:50 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TBlake84] Pack Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stupid question, but did you try each pack loaded?

as for packs, for something like that, I'm a big Mystery Ranch fan

hornboy101

Feb 20, 2007, 2:11 AM
Post #3 of 13 (1097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, ditto on previous. Which feels best... that is the golden question. Myself I am a fan of the Arc'Teryx Bora, though that is just me and what fits me... If I had to choose one of the two you had, and both felt the same... being perfect... I am partial to go with Osprey. Though... they are both great packs... so what ever feels good... do it.

crimpstrength

Feb 20, 2007, 2:41 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out cilogear. I also use/have used arc's bora, gregory's alpinisto. The bora is 80 liters and the alpinisto is 55 liters. No complaints from any of them

TBlake84

Feb 20, 2007, 1:24 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpstrength] Pack Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I didn't really make clear what I was looking for. I have tried each pack loaded and they are equal considering what I can tell. I am looking for insight as to things that aren't so readily available, like durability, customer service and features.

puck1340

Feb 20, 2007, 3:08 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cold cold world makes a pretty good pack from what i hear the packs are super durable lightweight. i'm actually thinking of replacing my old pack w/one. problem is that they are a small company, so you may have to work a little to find one.

www.coldcoldworldpacks.com

jeremy11

Feb 20, 2007, 3:41 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://cilogear.com/packs/75liter.shtml

the pic is a 60L Cilogear Worksack, of which I abuse and love version 1 (that is the new and improved version 2)
the link is to the new 75L version, which is the 60L with a bigger bottom section for a winter sleeping bag.
Everybody on Denali will have Gregory's and Osprey's. Climbing is really about style, so get a Cilogear and achieve instant SUPER COOL STATUS
They also happen to be amazing packs built for real climber's actual needs, highly customizable through the unique strap system, and have EXCELLENT customer service - I email the owner directly and he fixes any problems in YOUR favor, big time.

kixx

Feb 20, 2007, 3:52 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out these reviews http://www.psychovertical.com/?hybridexpedition

Also, from my experience, there is no pack that pulls sleds well, fits over your harness well, has enough capacity, is light enough, and is comfortable enough. I've tried many and nothing fits the bill that is available commercially. However, I've had the best luck with the Arc T Bora. I have not found that durability is really an issue anymore. The biggest factor is empty pack weight.

If I were you I would learn to use a sewing machine, strip that big mother down, and make it fit perfectly, AND be able to do everything you want.

Also check out your home town boys http://www.wildthingsgear.com The Alpinista will serve more purposes than just expeditions.

After struggling with big loads on big mountains I've totally changed my frame of mind and I go much lighter - even on expeditions. The draw back of a lightwieght style is that you need to spend the time to learn your gear well and know how to use it to its full potential. I will never pull a sled again... ever.

laurelja

Feb 20, 2007, 9:35 PM
Post #9 of 13 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to Denali last year with an Osprey and must admit that I have found the suspension to be the bomb. I think their belt is great and carries a dispersed load well from the sled. If you really want to make a good choice, try the loaded pack on with your climbing harness. The pack is important but the fit with the harness can make or break you. I found that there was a lot of fine tuning once I loaded the pack, put on my harness and than put the sled onto the pack. Lots of potential for multiple layers of material rubbing and chaffing.

laurelja

Feb 20, 2007, 9:41 PM
Post #10 of 13 (944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] Pack Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto on the light gear...worth every investment to buy a lighter sleeping bag, exped down matteress and watch the weight on food and cooking accutrements.
As far as pulling a sled...to each his own. One day I actually did a load carry with ALL of my load on my sled attached to my harness, did not wear a backpack, but put it all on the sled and let my shoulders and hips take a break and let the legs do all the work.

evanmfreeman

Feb 23, 2007, 4:09 AM
Post #11 of 13 (866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you can afford it, there is only one answer: McHale.

his packs are so far above anything else on the market that after wearing one you'll want evangelise about them.

he now has full spectra available, so for the same weight you can have a pack durable enough to haul up el cap.

Partner brent_e

Feb 27, 2007, 4:30 PM
Post #12 of 13 (786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [evanmfreeman] Pack Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cilogear makes a nice pack. weight is good, fit and finish is good. Adjustable to a great degree, very customizable, incredible customer service and an awesome owner.

there new packs looks awesome, too.

Partner alexmac

Feb 27, 2007, 7:48 PM
Post #13 of 13 (750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TBlake84 wrote:
I guess I didn't really make clear what I was looking for. I have tried each pack loaded and they are equal considering what I can tell. I am looking for insight as to things that aren't so readily available, like durability, customer service and features.

I'd bet my life on the Arc'Teryx packs, wear fine, pitch them off mild drops, dragged them through some dam good storms, dirt, sand, etc.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook