RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Partner euroford

Feb 24, 2007, 4:27 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1565 views)
Shortcut

great big f'in huge pulleys
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

as far as haulers are concerned, i'm pretty damn happy with my protrax, BUT i'd sure like the option to up my efficiancy every now and then. especially if we do this summers wall as a party of three.

so then... whats your personal favorite gigantic super sweet pulley, why do you dig it so much, what do you use her for, and where didga buy it?

Partner holdplease2

Feb 24, 2007, 6:45 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [euroford] great big f'in huge pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey EF -

When I'm solo and carried waaaaay too much stuff (standard) I use a fat 4" cmi pulley with bearings.

When I'm with partners or a party of three or whatnot I use a 3" with bearings.

If I have to use mechanical advantage hauling I use the 3" or the 4" with 2" "swiftwater" pulleys in the system. Very nice, super-smooth, pretty efficient. The whole thing hangs on a little rigging plate which keeps it from torquing strangely or being inefficient. (ha ha, no laughing at the inefficiency comment!)

Both setups use a petzl basic, kroll, or handled ascender as the locking device connected loosely with some 1" webbing for freedom of movement and a couple of pins clipped in to hold the ascneder down so it doesn't ride up when I haul.

Check the efficiency rating of whatever pulley you buy. Contact yates for some recommendations if you wish. They have rescue stuff. If they don't have what they recommend in stock, they can direct you to someone who will. I got my pulleys from "OnRope". Get some with the metal drilled out of the body of the pulley, they are lighter.

Once you haul with a 3" pulley and ascender, you may never go back to your protrax. Mine sits in an "extra junk" pile now.

Hope this helps,

-Kate.

Partner euroford

Feb 24, 2007, 7:23 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] great big f'in huge pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks kate, i knew you would chime in.

arrg. i keep thinking i'm over the hump with having to buy a crapload of more gear for every climb, then i start planning things out and just cringe...

Partner holdplease2

Feb 24, 2007, 7:31 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, but that cringe can easilly convert to a smile over the joy of shopping.

Also, it helps to be grateful that your hard-earned coin isn't having to go towards something you won't enjoy or worse, to some sort of life-problem that drains you dry. Be glad its a pulley and maybe an ascender. :)

-Kate.

brooks8970

Feb 25, 2007, 2:52 AM
Post #5 of 14 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does increasing the diameter of the pulley increase the efficiency or the mechanical advantage? Why is a bigger pully easier? I thought all pullys were 1:1.

Partner kimgraves

Feb 25, 2007, 4:32 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brooks8970] great big f'in huge pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brooks8970 wrote:
Does increasing the diameter of the pulley increase the efficiency or the mechanical advantage? Why is a bigger pulley easier? I thought all pulleys were 1:1.

The simple answer is yes. Here's why. Assuming the coefficient of friction (F) of all pulleys is equal, then the friction associated with any one revolution of any pulley is equal. So the friction of one revolution of a 1 inch pulley equals the friction of one revolution of a 4 inch pulley. But the amount of rope the 1" takes up is pi, while the amount or rope the 4" takes up is 4*pi. So you have do 4(F) with the 1" pulley but only 1(F) with the 4" for the same amount of rope taken up.

Now obviously not all pulleys have the same frictional coefficient. But in general, high efficiency pulleys have BOTH low coefficient of friction and a larger diameter.

Best, Kim

moose_droppings

Feb 25, 2007, 5:00 AM
Post #7 of 14 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EF,
Decided what your wall your going to do this year?

Partner euroford

Feb 25, 2007, 5:55 AM
Post #8 of 14 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] great big f'in huge pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i figure the diamond made a great first wall, hooker should do for the second don't you think? LOL!

and kate, yeah i don't cringe too bad, i really love buying all these shiny new toys!

whoa, that RSI hollowshaft over on the yates rescue site looks pretty sweet. 3.5" pulley and a 2" dia. bearing. $62 bucks ain't bad either. any thoughts?

moof

Feb 25, 2007, 7:46 AM
Post #9 of 14 (1354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I picked up one of the RSI hollow shafts for grins and giggles. It is not as spiffy as I was expecting. The sheeve is now all plastic, it used to be aluminum with a plastic insert but apparently it was hard to manufacture. There isn't a bearing per say, but it is still pretty low in friction. It's been too wet to do much since I got it, so no actual hauling on it yet.

It is light, about the same as my protrax, and inspires much more confidence. The hollow part accepts the big petzl belay biners I've got (Williams?), so you can hand an ascender off that hole pretty easily without specialty gear.

Partner euroford

Feb 25, 2007, 3:02 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moof] great big f'in huge pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well if ain't got no real balls in its bearings i ain't gunna be buyin it.

sounds like a good concept, poorly excecuted...

so maybe instead the CMI RP106 3: pulley, bearings, 1.35lb and #81.

CMI doesn't make many larger sizes... mostly they seam to stick to around 2-3/8".

(This post was edited by euroford on Feb 25, 2007, 3:10 PM)

Partner holdplease2

Feb 25, 2007, 4:45 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey EF:

If I were you, I'd go with a 3" pully. 4 is gigantic and you have to reeeally want to use a big pulley to lug it around. Your partners may downright refuse to climb with you when you pull out your "big four inch." I discovered them when laughing till I almost cried when my friend, CB, was dragging one around.

I'd seriously call Yates for a 5 minute chat, they can give you all the reasons why/why not to get a certain model. I am super-happy with the two models that they recommended for me. They are at home in Yos (I'm in josh)

Just tell them you want a 3". The 2" is about the same as the protrax. "Efficiency" rating is key.

:)

-Kate.

Partner euroford

Feb 25, 2007, 5:25 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i'll give yates a call in the next couple of weeks, i'm heading out to Ouray for some ice in two weeks, then its time to earnestly begin hording gear for my date with a wyoming prositute.

in the meantime, i'd rather just chat you up!

justsendingits

Feb 26, 2007, 1:12 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No need for a pulley, our pilot has mad skills, and can drop a pizza on a 1x1 slopeing ledge without batting an eye.
It's more respectable doing a hooker in a push, but if it's seige warfare, and you want a bomber pulley to haul up say, a 65 lb. generator, then get this pulley.
http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsDetails.asp?id=1&id2=76

Partner euroford

Feb 26, 2007, 1:29 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justsendingits] great big f'in huge pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sweet, i'll just stock up on pizza's then!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook