RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

chrisb

Feb 24, 2007, 2:13 PM
Post #1 of 11 (992 views)
Shortcut

Tent condensation in MH tent
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey folks,

I've already searched and couldn't find anything helpful for my situation, so please fire away.

I was just out with a buddy for three days in the Catskills in my new-to-me Mountain Hardwear Annapurna 2 tent (discontinued...hmmm). We had some serious tent condensation problems and I'm wondering what we did wrong.

The tent is a double-wall, with a big door and a tiny rear vestibule. The only vents are: small rear window into rear vestibule, door, fly door, and a five-inch vent at the peak of the fly door (but separate from fly door).

First night was not so bad (great weather): we had rear window fully open, door open at top, fly vent open, and fly door half open.

Next night was not so good. It was snowing and blowing so we had the fly door fully closed, fly vent fully open, rear window fully open. The door was wide open when we fell asleep, but snow kept blowing onto my head, so I closed the top of the door for a bit but later realized my mistake and only half-zipped the screen. We woke to a soaked tent, nearly soaked bags (mine down, buddy's synthetic), and about 8 inches of snow burying the entire perimeter of the fly.

So, what did we do wrong (besides get a tent they immediately discontinued...)

Thanks in advance.

cb

hhelbein

Feb 24, 2007, 2:34 PM
Post #2 of 11 (988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisb] Tent condensation in MH tent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got similar problems with my MH Jet (or Mountain Jet not sure) 3 tent which is a single wall design, but also has very poor venting. Its great when its cold out, but in the Summer here in Florida, it's a steamhouse. And I don't dare touch the ceiling in the morning or all the condensation comes raining down. Too bad, its a light tent for it's size, very sturdy, and goes up easy.

(This post was edited by hhelbein on Feb 24, 2007, 2:36 PM)

el_layclimber

Feb 24, 2007, 4:28 PM
Post #3 of 11 (959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hhelbein] Tent condensation in MH tent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like some sweatshop in China is turning out crappy tents to me.

paulraphael

Feb 26, 2007, 3:52 PM
Post #4 of 11 (873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] Tent condensation in MH tent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chris, some thoughts on making it less steamy ...

1) Were you using that "sleeping bag built for two" that you insisted we use on the last climb? I understand your rationalle ... that Steve House does it, etc., but I don't see why we needed to use it when we were car camping.

2) Music. I like it in the tent also, but an entire ipod packed with Barry White? I think things would have been a bit less hot if you mixed in something lighter, like some chick-rock every few tracks.

3) What on earth is in that massage oil you use? I agree that a rub down is a great idea after a hard day of climbing, but that stuff smelled like eucalyptus, and after a while it started to burn, like ben gay. Way too hot. I'm still trying to wash it out of my patagonias.

4) And who was this you were climbing with? I was trying to call you all last week.

(This post was edited by paulraphael on Feb 26, 2007, 3:54 PM)

paulraphael

Feb 26, 2007, 5:19 PM
Post #5 of 11 (856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paulraphael] Tent condensation in MH tent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And before I forget ... you might want to consider an LED headlamp. They run a lot cooler than all those candles.

murf

Feb 26, 2007, 6:01 PM
Post #6 of 11 (831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sucks that MH built a tent that snow could blow into and melt on a windy, snowy, day. I think you should return yourself immediately.

sesser125

Feb 26, 2007, 6:38 PM
Post #7 of 11 (793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [murf] Tent condensation in MH tent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the MH Trango 2 and have had some issues with condensation on cold nights. I left the sky vent open and it seemed to work a little. To be honest I dont think there is much you can do about this. You can try calling MH and asking them, they have always be helpful over the phone and fixed any problem free, even when it was my fault. Good luck.

scuclimber

Feb 28, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #8 of 11 (734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hhelbein wrote:
I've got similar problems with my MH Jet (or Mountain Jet not sure) 3 tent which is a single wall design, but also has very poor venting. Its great when its cold out, but in the Summer here in Florida, it's a steamhouse. And I don't dare touch the ceiling in the morning or all the condensation comes raining down. Too bad, its a light tent for it's size, very sturdy, and goes up easy.

Having a single-wall tent in Florida is your main problem. Single-wall tents inherently are not that great for warmer climes because you have to rely on the breathability of a W/B fabric. That little bit of mesh around the perimeter at the base of your tent, and the vents at the top that're designed to produce a "chimney" effect probably just don't cut it in a climate like Florida. Something like an MSR Hubba Hubba with a ton of mesh is what you want.

As to the OP, no idea.

rock_fencer

Feb 28, 2007, 9:08 PM
Post #9 of 11 (712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why was snow blowing in when your fly was closed? You could try orienting the tent away from the wind. You can alo leave the mesh fully closed but leave the solid door panel open. Im surprised the tent was wet and wasnt frosty instead. I always wake up with a damp bag but thats cause im a furnace and make everything condense on my bag when its cold out.

A layer of condensation is almost always going to happen with almost every tent. You could also wake up in the middle of the night and dig the tent out if you want to keep airflow at its max.

hhelbein

Mar 1, 2007, 1:34 PM
Post #10 of 11 (685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] Tent condensation in MH tent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, airflow seems to be the main limitation of most single wall tent designs. I got my single wall MH tent before moving to Florida. I'm sure I'll be looking to replace it with a Big Agness Seedhouse SL or Marmot with a traditional fly and a lot of mesh this Summer (although the MSR Hubba Hubba looks good too).

browntown

Mar 1, 2007, 2:26 PM
Post #11 of 11 (666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking at the Hubba Hubba but opted for the SD Lightning. Both are very similar but the lightning has less mesh so I'll be able to retain a little more heat in colder climates.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook