Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

postin7

Mar 1, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #1 of 30 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Crash Pad
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would like to get my own Crash Pad! But I don't know with to choose. What do you think is the best Pad now? Any tips? Thanx.

vegasguy

Mar 1, 2007, 7:41 PM
Post #2 of 30 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [postin7] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do some research there are tons out there. You might want to narrow down your search. ie high ball, pockets, straps, foam, etc. Check out the sheet i attached it might help. I would check out the impact.
Attachments: crashpads.xls (14.5 KB)

hibby11

Mar 1, 2007, 8:03 PM
Post #3 of 30 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Organic....Custom made to your liking with great customer service.

H

vegasguy

Mar 1, 2007, 8:33 PM
Post #4 of 30 (2582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hibby11] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have heard alot of people hype these pads up. While still having never climbed with one I have this statement. The size to weight ratio is nothing to brag about. It is the same size as the cheap bastard, while not small, there are larger out there.

contactclimbing

Mar 1, 2007, 9:08 PM
Post #5 of 30 (2557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegasguy] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cheap bastard....enough said!

GO ORGANIC!!!!!!!!

asc_climb

Mar 1, 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #6 of 30 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [contactclimbing] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

organic full pad...no question.

mushroomsamba

Mar 2, 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #7 of 30 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asc_climb] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shop around you'll find theres alot to choose from

vegasguy

Mar 2, 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #8 of 30 (2508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [contactclimbing] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was using it for size comparion because it is quite small. I would never use a cheap b or recommend it for that matter.

unrooted

Mar 2, 2007, 1:14 AM
Post #9 of 30 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegasguy] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would also suggest looking into the organic pad, it is actually very similar to the older, perfect, metolius pads. The recent climbing mag review, in the one with sonny trotter on the cover, rated the organic best. I know better what not to buy, the cheap bastard and the mad rock pad are both crap, the foam gets horrible in a relatively short period of time. make sure whatever you get it has good foam.

Oh and the construction on asana pack works pads are HORRIBLE!

you might want to look at misty pads, they are always really nice pads.

petsfed

Mar 2, 2007, 2:29 AM
Post #10 of 30 (2468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hibby11] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hibby11 wrote:
Organic....Custom made to your liking with great customer service.

H

Totally. Josh is an awesome guy. As soon as I have the time, he was gonna loan me a pad to review for this very site.

The pads are not cheap but they are of incredibly high quality.

jaboyd510

Mar 2, 2007, 1:31 PM
Post #11 of 30 (2431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Misty Mountain. Super High quality shell and foam. You can even buy replaceable foam when it wears out in 5-10 years. Schweet!

dhaulagiri

Mar 2, 2007, 1:40 PM
Post #12 of 30 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a revolution pad and like it a lot. From the sounds of it Organic might be even better but I don't know anyone that has one for comparison.

miavzero

Mar 2, 2007, 2:15 PM
Post #13 of 30 (2418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dhaulagiri] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My old pusher pad passed the test of time, but my new Organic pad is hands down the best pad I have ever used. Don't get sucked into paying $60 less for a pad that will last a third as long. Organic's rubberized foam will not break down like traditional foam.

tellicomtnman

Mar 2, 2007, 2:18 PM
Post #14 of 30 (2415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miavzero] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second (or third) the vote for Misty Mountain - bomber pads with great foam and great service.

unrooted

Mar 2, 2007, 4:19 PM
Post #15 of 30 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dhaulagiri] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dhaulagiri wrote:
I have a revolution pad and like it a lot. From the sounds of it Organic might be even better but I don't know anyone that has one for comparison.

My gym uses revolution pads (in the gym size of course), they have only been open one year, but they appear to be holding up. I'm surprised though because there holds break all the time.

dhaulagiri

Mar 2, 2007, 5:15 PM
Post #16 of 30 (2380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unrooted] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unrooted wrote:
dhaulagiri wrote:

My gym uses revolution pads (in the gym size of course), they have only been open one year, but they appear to be holding up. I'm surprised though because there holds break all the time.

Good to hear about the pads. I agree on the holds, shit is fragile.

Partner gunksgoer

Mar 2, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #17 of 30 (2370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definatly get the cheap bastard. They might not have the frills and blah blah blah but they are beasts. I have one and its really burly, its thick and solid so i can just throw it down on talus and it basically creates its own floor... the price is also right. Compared to the mad pad at the same price i think its better, and while it might not be as plush as my other pad (45% more money) it performs just as well. Most of the other, more expensive pads that are the same size work fine, but I see no reason to pay alot more money for something i wont be any more satisfied with.

petsfed

Mar 2, 2007, 6:20 PM
Post #18 of 30 (2350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunksgoer] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunksgoer wrote:
Definatly get the cheap bastard. They might not have the frills and blah blah blah but they are beasts. I have one and its really burly, its thick and solid so i can just throw it down on talus and it basically creates its own floor... the price is also right. Compared to the mad pad at the same price i think its better, and while it might not be as plush as my other pad (45% more money) it performs just as well. Most of the other, more expensive pads that are the same size work fine, but I see no reason to pay alot more money for something i wont be any more satisfied with.

Its just the durability difference. Its why the fat bastard (which is actually not as thick as the cheap bastard) costs so much more. They just use higher quality foam so you can go longer between replacing the foam.

diophantus

Mar 2, 2007, 7:08 PM
Post #19 of 30 (2337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tellicomtnman] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tellicomtnman wrote:
I'll second (or third) the vote for Misty Mountain - bomber pads with great foam and great service.

I have two pads, a mad pad and a misty stealth pad. I prefer the misty pad, it has all the functionality I want without all the gimmicks I don't need. All in all I don't think the differences in foam really matter unless you are doing really highball stuff. You should try out a few different pads, borrow them or go bouldering with other people and see what you prefer.

unrooted

Mar 2, 2007, 8:30 PM
Post #20 of 30 (2319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [diophantus] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

diophantus wrote:
tellicomtnman wrote:
All in all I don't think the differences in foam really matter unless you are doing really highball stuff.

The difference in the foam has to do with how long it takes before it starts turning to crap, mad pads turn into mushy crap super fast.

diophantus

Mar 2, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #21 of 30 (2298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unrooted] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unrooted wrote:
diophantus wrote:
tellicomtnman wrote:
All in all I don't think the differences in foam really matter unless you are doing really highball stuff.

The difference in the foam has to do with how long it takes before it starts turning to crap, mad pads turn into mushy crap super fast.

That's assuming the shell will last that long. The shell tore on mine first, if you're lucky the straps won't rip off before the foam becomes completely useless. Like I said, I prefer my misty.

cmacblue42

Mar 2, 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #22 of 30 (2292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [diophantus] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want something cheap, but excellent, the cheap bastard is the way!! Same thing as fat bastard w/o bells and whistles, which you dont need. Of course, the pagan pad with the goat on it is the same ting w/ an inch less of foam (same as old metolius large pad0 for like 90 bux!! If you want a pad in the category of "giant" wait for REI to have a 20%off sale, and buy the behemoth at about 200 bux. Or, if you have the cash, the flashed pads, but you will have to find a dealer.

edl

Mar 4, 2007, 7:54 AM
Post #23 of 30 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmacblue42] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would also submit a vote for Organic: Great construction, great foam, and a personal touch because you get to choose the colors, and the customer service is top notch. If you want to buy something that will last, go Organic.

hugin

Mar 4, 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #24 of 30 (2209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb on a CHeap Bastard, and it's a fine pad. I bought that one, too, because I only had so much to spend and I wanted to be able to buy a second to stash at my in-laws place in Colorado. I got a Mad Pad there, and while I haven't seen durability problems, I've only been out with it a couple of times. I would suggest the Cheap Bastard first.

If I had to do it over, though, I would get something thinner with a higher quality foam. I'm already feeling some softness in the Cheap Bastard (it's about a year old), and it's so thick that rolling your ankle on it is a real danger, as opposed to just an annoyance.

I would be interested if anyone has done the research to collect the technical data on the foam the various manufacturers use. Anyone?

cmacblue42

Mar 5, 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #25 of 30 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugin] Crash Pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your foam is getting worn and bottoms out when you fall, or, if you are highballing (bishop) MEC sells a plastic sheet you could put in your pad to spread out the force of the fall (like the closed cell foam) for about 3 CAD (which is ?? USD). It is a rather cheap way to extend the life of your foam.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook