Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

qwert

Mar 5, 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #1 of 32 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Underwear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Am i the only one that is having a hard time finding "outdoor" underwear, especially drawers?

[rant]the only stuff that fits and is comfortable is normal cotton stuff, but it sucks for everything where i get sweaty and cold easily.
Apart from the still unsolved smell problem with synthetics, all stuff i have tried so far fits terrible. either it are boxer shorts, or a as wide as some, but no thanks, i prefer it when my stuff is kept away from my harness.
or they are cut thight like hell. maybe this is nice for guys who have a fetish for wearing womens panties, but for everything else it just sucks when only one nut fits into the pants, and the other one is squeezed to the outside, just like my friend when he decides to move a bit.
and whats the deal with that stupid doubling of the fabric in the areas where i sweat the most? why whear something made of quick drying fabric, when its used doubled at "strategical" areas so that they stay wet and sweaty all the time?
its functional underwear, so i wont die of embarrasment if its a bit transparent, so no need to double it up.[/rant]

so has anyone found some that fit? doesnt neccesary have to bee of "climbing" brands like patagonia, just hase to be quick drying and functional. i would gladly whear puma or nike, if it would work.

qwert

rhythm164

Mar 5, 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #2 of 32 (1826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try the patagonia active classic boxers, your balls with thank you.

overlord

Mar 5, 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #3 of 32 (1821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i prefer brief for climbing. boxers just cant keep my package away from the leg straps for some reason.

i have some briefs from jockey that are just right for the job. cotton. i think ill give some active briefs a try if ill have some $$$ to spare.

dr_feelgood

Mar 5, 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #4 of 32 (1819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
i prefer brief for climbing. boxers just cant keep my package away from the leg straps for some reason.

i have some briefs from jockey that are just right for the job. cotton. i think ill give some active briefs a try if ill have some $$$ to spare.
try underarmor boxer-briefs...

hhelbein

Mar 5, 2007, 1:41 PM
Post #5 of 32 (1796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Patigonia capilene boxers and briefs (and long underwear). It is expensive, so get it on sale. Moosejaw.com currently has this stuff for buy 2 get 1 free. GoLite briefs do the job too. Both have gotten me comfortably through some miserable adventure races.

nilregrets

Mar 5, 2007, 2:29 PM
Post #6 of 32 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hhelbein] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Duofolf boxer briefs work well. soo so soft. they double up in some areas but i think thats so it doesn't wear through. buy it cheap at campmor.com

basilisk

Mar 5, 2007, 2:50 PM
Post #7 of 32 (1734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilregrets] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://ibex wool

comfy, wicking, and doesn't smell. unstoppable

redpoint73

Mar 5, 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #8 of 32 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hhelbein] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For tops and pants, the Patagonia Capilene are nice, and the REI MTS line (I wear the midweight for winter stuff) fit me well, seem to wick well, and are a good value.

If smell is an issue, try the Smart Wool line, wool is more odor resistant than synthetics.

On rock, I usually just wear cotton boxers. If I am going to be in a situation where wet drawers could be a life threatening issue, I have some Patagonia Capilene boxers. They also have boxer-briefs and briefs for your preference.

alpinismo_flujo

Mar 5, 2007, 5:45 PM
Post #9 of 32 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"drawers" I thought that was funny. haven't heard them referred that way since I was a little kid....

I am pleased with Ex-Officio's Boxer Briefs. Keeps the "bean bags" supported nicely, fights odor and is not cotton.

I use these for cragging, traveling, alpine. Cool

anykineclimb

Mar 5, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #10 of 32 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
overlord wrote:

this is what I pretty much always wear

scrapedape

Mar 5, 2007, 7:25 PM
Post #11 of 32 (1624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MEC Silkweight Classic Briefs

Not pretty, but functional.

redpoint73

Mar 5, 2007, 7:50 PM
Post #12 of 32 (1593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anykineclimb wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

this is what I pretty much always wear

Anything particularly special about the Under Armour brand? It seems to have gotten very popular. Is this due to superior wicking, fit, durability, or some other feature? Or is it more b/c of their association with pro football and other sports teams?

phugganut

Mar 5, 2007, 8:04 PM
Post #13 of 32 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My prefered choice in undergarments is cheaper, easier to find, easier to remove quickly (oh yeah!) , breathes MUCH better than anything else, doesn't hold odors or moisture, and is 100% natural. Just go commando all the time. Problem solved. Underwear is redundant, unnecessary, and superfluous. Save that $30 you were gonna spend on fancy techno-underwear and put it towards something useful. Just my 2 cents.

slowhand

Mar 5, 2007, 8:25 PM
Post #14 of 32 (1551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phugganut] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear these they make your package look huge.

http://www.aussiebum.com.au/en/underwear/index.php?modelid=355

You never know when you might lose you pants. You gotta look good.

qwert

Mar 5, 2007, 9:49 PM
Post #15 of 32 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phugganut] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phugganut wrote:
My prefered choice in undergarments is cheaper, easier to find, easier to remove quickly (oh yeah!) , breathes MUCH better than anything else, doesn't hold odors or moisture, and is 100% natural. Just go commando all the time. Problem solved. Underwear is redundant, unnecessary, and superfluous. Save that $30 you were gonna spend on fancy techno-underwear and put it towards something useful. Just my 2 cents.
if its ok for you, then do it, but (most of the time) its not for me.
as said i prefer it when my goods are stored safe and away from my leg loops. i only have heard the storys about the pain a nut under a leg loop causes, and it was to much for me to take Frown
and it can be quite uncomfortable apart from the not in leg loop situation.
there are indeed situations where underwear inst needed, but imho climbing and most other outdoor sports (apart from biking) arent among these.
slowhand wrote:
I wear these they make your package look huge.
http://www.aussiebum.com.au/en/underwear/index.php?modelid=355
You never know when you might lose you pants. You gotta look good.
maybe this kind of underwear is a godsend for those who really need it, but no thanks, i dont need it. apart from that i think they look really ugly.

any other suggestions? my main concerns are fast drying and breathable.

qwert

sactownclimber

Mar 5, 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #16 of 32 (1509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a pair of REI boxer-briefs that are da bomb. Keeps my boys out of the way, but is still comfy like a pair of boxers. I've worn them several days in a row on while backpacking, and have had no issues with the smell . . . though that could be three days worth of BO overpowering anything else :-)

I'd like to get more, but I'm cheap, I'll only pay for something like that when it's on clearance.

iamthewallress

Mar 5, 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #17 of 32 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sactownclimber] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the first post that I've seen that would support the case for making a Men's Room.

Good luck finding the perfect pair of undies.

stymingersfink

Mar 5, 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #18 of 32 (1455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
This is the first post that I've seen that would support the case for making a Men's Room.

Good luck finding the perfect pair of undies.
as the wisdom goes wallress:

Don't sweat the petty stuff...

and don't pet the sweaty stuff!Shocked

Besides, I thought everyone agreed that aside from the ladies room, the entire site is a mens forumSmile

ter_bee

Mar 5, 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #19 of 32 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
Besides, I thought everyone agreed that aside from the ladies room, the entire site is a mens forumSmile

Who is everyone?

This is an adorable thread.

ryanb

Mar 6, 2007, 5:45 AM
Post #20 of 32 (1402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ter_bee] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a harness with ajustable leg loops and keep them tight enough to keep the junk out.

Failing that your best bet is probably your basic, ultralight, nylon mesh man thong.

kjohnnytarr

Mar 6, 2007, 5:56 AM
Post #21 of 32 (1393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why where them at all? I don't.

bent_gate

Mar 6, 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #22 of 32 (1350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

UnderArmor is primarily Nylon and (with a small amount of stretchy lycra to make it cling) and so is ideal for aerobic activity. It dries a little faster than Polyester underwear and feels cooler (though it may just be the lighter weight of nylon). Most people, including myself feel nylon is the best underwear for Summer weather, especially if you are in conditions where you are constantly sweating. Most other underwear is primarily Polyester which also does a good job of wicking and keeping you dry as well. However, Polyester also does a better job of insulating which is not as desirable in the summer. Polyester is great Fall through Spring, and is great for when your sweating varies between activities.

There are other generic brands of Nylon active underwear other than Under Armor, but UA pays money for NFL recognition, and if a store is going to carry just one nylon line, it is going to be Under Armor. It can actually be difficult to find generic Nylon underwear in stores these days. Polyester is the choice in all of the Outdoor brands. And between the two fabrics, it's best for three out of four seasons, so most people just use it as their one solution for active underwear year round. You can also use the nylon year round, but you lose a minor amount of insulation. But this is usually made up for by the insulation of your main layer anyway.

Another advantage of Under Armor is the cut. UA does a good job of shaping their underwear to make room for your man package.

But even the best underwear will have binding issues at some point when worn under pants, and then a harness. (some types worse than others). There is only one system I have had that has never had any binding issues, and that is going COMMANDO! In the summer, there is nothing better, and once you go commando, you will never go back! Superior ventilation and no binding! If you are on daytrips where you can change pants for the next day, this is the way to go. If its a mulitday backcountry trip though, forget it. It will get pretty nasty.

boredatwork

Mar 6, 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #23 of 32 (1325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the Ex-Officio Boxer Briefs. I have used them now for about 2 years and I love them. I work out in them, climb, or pretty much anything active. Wore them 5 days straight on a Sierra's trip and had no odor. Good stuff.

redpoint73

Mar 6, 2007, 5:28 PM
Post #24 of 32 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the well-written answer to my question. I've been wondering for a while why all the cool kids on the block are wearing the Under Armour.

billcoe_

Mar 6, 2007, 6:48 PM
Post #25 of 32 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Underwear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys wear underwear?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook