RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

kane_schutzman

Mar 6, 2007, 2:34 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1736 views)
Shortcut

Vertical Anchor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How does one make an anchor in a Vertical crack? Where the peices of protection are above one another, none of this perfect side by side shit I see in some of the pictures on here.

zuegma

Mar 6, 2007, 2:40 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] Vertical Anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you could use the rope and place a clove hitch on each piece, or if they are close you could use a cord-o-lette or extened the highest pieces with slings and tie a cord-o-lette or whatever type of anchor you use.

billl7

Mar 6, 2007, 3:19 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

According to the new Long/Gaines Anchor book, the Equalette excels at equalizing placements in a vertical cracks. Even so, most photos of it are gonna look a little like a mess of spaghetti.

billl7

Mar 6, 2007, 4:33 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You asked how you build the anchor. If you were building with an equalette ...

Take a look at this perfect side-by-side shit of the equalette. (I can't take credit for the picture - it came out of a recent massive thread with Sliding X in the title.)

Notice 3 things: i) the cord is one big loop, probably joined with a double fishermans; ii) the cord is attached to the 4 biners above with clove hitches; iii) the 2 biners at the bottom are each attached to one strand and their sliding left or right is limited by overhand or figure 8 knots - the limiter knots.

So that's the horizontal side-by-side shit you mentioned. Since I don't think a picture of it vertical will look all that great, here's a description of how to build it (credit to the Long/Gaine's new anchor book - an inexpensive but very good book to buy IMHO).

a) clove hitch in to the lowest piece first such that the limiter knots will be a little below this;

b) clove hitch into the other pieces such that when the 2 bottom biners (lockers) are oriented in the direction of pull they are roughly in between the limiter knots and so can slide/equalize as needed.

c) adjust the clove hitches to equalize between individual pieces when load is in direction of pull;

If you need one side/arm of the equalette to only go to one biner rather than two (e.g., for a three piece anchor) then tie off a bite in that arm with an overhand; this should make 2 small loops to hook into the biner.

Build it in your kitchen first. If the Equalette really turns you on then make a contribution to Long/Gaines/the publisher and buy the book. Lots of other good details in there.

Bill L

kane_schutzman

Mar 6, 2007, 4:41 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Vertical Anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks alot man, you hit the nail on the head. I think I ll try and build one right now, with cord though.

Been looking at the book, and I think I ll buy it now!

Thanks

(This post was edited by kane_schutzman on Mar 6, 2007, 4:43 AM)

coastal_climber

Mar 6, 2007, 5:10 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Place two pieces of pro, and use webbing and equalize it, then build the rest.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook