RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

retired

Mar 8, 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1219 views)
Shortcut

WTB single portaledge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looked in the classified but figured I may hit more ledge owners over here. I have a Metolius double with fly but want something lighter for soloing...old gramicci, A-5, or even (shudder) pika. Would even consider trading the double for the single for awhile...I live in White Salmon, WA. but the valley is where I will be needing the ledge, early May. Thanks and hope is wasn't inappropriate to post the WTB here.

summerprophet

Mar 9, 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [retired] WTB single portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the valley is where you are going to be, you can rent a ledge. Certainlly more cost effective than buying a second one.

here is the rental link
http://home.inreach.com/yorock1/

stymingersfink

Mar 9, 2007, 2:58 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] WTB single portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

take the double, you won't regret it. Besides, that which doesn't kill you will only make you stronger!

I have a BD Sky Lounge Single + Fly which I should probably get rid of, as I've never used it. Figured it would come in handy for a threesome, but the one time I did climb in a pary of three they brought their own ledge to the party. Being able to sleep solo in a double sky-lounge on that trip was deee-lux (!), room to really get comfortable when cooking meals, sorting gear, etc. We flagged one ledge and broke the other down each day, which meant we had a ledge handy to hang out on at each belay.

If you're really hot to own your own single+fly I suppose I could be talked into parting with mine, provided the price was right. It's never been used on a wall, so it's in great shape.

Partner holdplease2

Mar 9, 2007, 7:04 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] WTB single portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SF - If you think that the rivits on the hinge of the skylounge can handle a threesome, you got another thing comin'. ;)

For soloing, the three pounds you save by using a single won't be worth much. You'll be glad to have the ultra-bivy in your double bombshelter. Just make sure you are practiced at setting it up alone, expecially gettin the spreader bar in. Metolius says to put in the spreader bar BEFORE putting in the end tubes. Shockingly, this is a great idea.

Have fun!

-Kate.

retired

Mar 9, 2007, 3:29 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] WTB single portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice and offers. I've put the double together in a vertical enviorment plenty and that is one reason I wanted a single...it's so damn cumbersome with no partner to help plus I do think the difference would be a lot more than 3 lbs. My double with fly weighs 22 pounds despite what the metolius stats claim. My friend has a gramicci i borrowed once and it weighed 10 lbs with fly

Partner holdplease2

Mar 9, 2007, 4:16 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [retired] WTB single portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on, Retired. I can sympathize after struggling with the double bombshelter alone. In the event that you don't find a nice used ledge, here's some specs to help you out:

BD Single with Fly - $850 new - 18lbs 15oz
BD Double with Fly - $950 new - 24lbs 13 oz
(MFR specs)

Metolius Single with Fly - $850 new - 18lbs 21 oz
Metolius Double with Fly - $950 new - 21lbs 16 oz
(MFR specs)

FISH Single with Fly - $595 new - 13 lbs
FISH Double with Fly - $655 new - 16 lbs
(Weighed them myself, thats why there are no ounces)

As ledge size and "bells and whistles" have increased over time, combined with likely improved materials, they have gotten more expensive.

Its important to note that a full 7 lbs of the metolius double weight is the fly...super burley.

Its also key to note that the FISH ledges are only 6'5" long, wheras the metolius and BD are both 7' long in single and double sizes.

Finally the BD double is 5'3" wide, compared to the metolius double width of 3'9". You have got to see the BD to believe it.

Anyway, I highly recommend the FISH single, because of the vastly superior fly. It has lock-down straps for the corners, a full 10" overlap between the fly and the bed, and vapor ports. FISH is a truly elegant design, both fly and ledge.

Don't forget the FISH econoledge, which is even less expensive and a little lighter.

IMPORTANT - If you order from FISH, know that you must supply a "drop dead" date, which will be met based on my experience. If you don't supply one, you may move from "retired" to "died of old age". ;)

-Kate.

retired

Mar 9, 2007, 7:17 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah that fish can swim pretty slow at times. think i will contact them about an econo...thanks so much for all the research and typing. have a buddy with an econo and it seemed a little saggy compared to my drum tightable bomb shelter but he liked it. Oh and i like that 21 llb 16oz. stat why not 12 lbs 160 oz.

stymingersfink

Mar 10, 2007, 6:07 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

holdplease2 wrote:
SF - If you think that the rivits on the hinge of the skylounge can handle a threesome, you got another thing comin'. ;)

I think they can...

what's this "another thing comin'."? Angelic

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook