Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #26 of 52 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Which osprey pack are you using?

vegastradguy

Mar 10, 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #27 of 52 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [musicman1586] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

musicman1586 wrote:
So here's a question, how do ya'll pack if you also have to carry overnight gear (tent, sleeping bag, stove, food, clothes)? I have a fairly big pack and if I have to pack my rope and rack and what not it's already pretty damn full, so is that when you move up to haul bag size, or do you just have ultra-light small tents and sleeping bags? I guess it could be done splitting up gear between partners, but just wondering how all of you pull it off.

you answered your own question. the only thing i would do specifically is to split the weight as evenly as possible....

i still havent figured out why everyone in this thread has responded by saying that they carry their rope AND rack....folks, make your partners haul some shit!

zuegma

Mar 10, 2007, 3:43 PM
Post #28 of 52 (1799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do...i bought another pack just so that my partner can carry rope, food water, and whatever else i want him to. All i do is carry the rack and draws, which usually ends up being the ligheter of the packs b/c i pack in so much food.

Partner mr8615

Mar 11, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #29 of 52 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner ALWAYS carries the beer, and he's much less likely to shake it all up if that's all he has to carry. Seems worth the trade to me.

Mark

dr_feelgood

Mar 12, 2007, 1:28 AM
Post #30 of 52 (1739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
livinonasandbar wrote:
I like to toss 2 or 3 bananas into the bottom of my pack first, in case I need a snack later on. My climbing shoes go in next, followed by all my gear. After cinching everything down tight, I'm ready to go...

I like to put the bananas in my shoes in order to save space.
Why put your bananas in your pack? That's what i have my banana hammock for.

markc

Mar 12, 2007, 2:03 AM
Post #31 of 52 (1732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
i still havent figured out why everyone in this thread has responded by saying that they carry their rope AND rack....folks, make your partners haul some shit!

Sometimes the approach is really short, so it just doesn't matter who has what. Sometimes I'm climbing with my wife, so an even division of weight isn't desirable. Most times (especially on those longer approaches), it's nice to have as even a distribution as possible.

Partner alexmac

Mar 12, 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #32 of 52 (1711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Sometimes the approach is really short, so it just doesn't matter who has what. Sometimes I'm climbing with my wife, so an even division of weight isn't desirable. Most times (especially on those longer approaches), it's nice to have as even a distribution as possible.

Repeat after me , "yes dear"SmileSmileSmile

Spliting gear works, evenly , often not if there are different people with different needs.

drfelatio

Mar 12, 2007, 6:04 AM
Post #33 of 52 (1703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a 42L Black Diamond Sphynx and it works very well as a crag pack. I organize my rack on a daisy chain and place that in the bottom of the pack. My trad draws are on a sling and go on top of the rack. Then I throw in stuff sacks filled with my harness, some webbing, cordelette, longer slings, etc. Usually my partner carries the rope, but if not, it gets slung to the top of the pack. Helmet fits on the lid under some shock cord. My stinky-ass shoes, my chalk bag, and a nalgene of water get clipped to gear loops on the outside if the pack.

iamthewallress

Mar 12, 2007, 6:12 AM
Post #34 of 52 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drfelatio] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Compressing the rope is a good thing when it's in your pack, and compressing the rack is not usually such a good thing.

Stick the rope on the bottom if you're carrying both. In addition to sparing the fussy little cables on your Aliens, you'll find that the rope is a better back pad at the bottom of your pack than your #5 Camalot.

If you need to carry bivy stuff plus your rope and rack, make two (or more) trips. Water on ropes for first trip b/c they're heavy, less appetizing to bears than your mom's snickerdoodles, and not terribly interesting to passersby to rip off. HTH. ;-)

If you're going alpine style and plan on having all that crap in your pack at once, you probably already have your packing preferences dialed...or should.

(This post was edited by iamthewallress on Mar 12, 2007, 7:01 AM)

mcolombo

Mar 12, 2007, 7:50 AM
Post #35 of 52 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IKEA bag

devils_advocate

Mar 12, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #36 of 52 (1660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
markc wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Spliting gear works, evenly , often not if there are different people with different needs.

I just don't think you understand my needs as a climber

Partner alexmac

Mar 12, 2007, 8:36 PM
Post #37 of 52 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devils_advocate] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devils_advocate wrote:
alexmac wrote:
markc wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

I just don't think you understand my needs as a climber

I pretty much understand the gear hauling needs ranging from a wheelchair bound climber (pretends to climb in reality gets hauled up) to the solo west coast trail hike.

How does "yes dear" not meet the persons needs, its the best advice when wanting to keep a wife happy "yes dear".

(This post was edited by alexmac on Mar 12, 2007, 8:37 PM)

Partner gandolf

Mar 12, 2007, 8:47 PM
Post #38 of 52 (1634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually carry the rack and trad draws- rack in the bottom, draws on top of rack, harness on top of draws, shoes on top of harness. Water in 2 side pockets. Personal stuff (tape, knife, headlamp, wallet, keys, etc) on the flap pocket and top pockets.
My partner carries the rope and sport draws.
If we need 2 ropes I replace the trad draws with a rope and my partner carries all the draws.

petsfed

Mar 12, 2007, 9:08 PM
Post #39 of 52 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When we've got a full rack, one person gets the rack, one person gets the rope. If there are two ropes, we each get about half the rack and a rope a piece. How it fits in the pack is pretty unimportant, if I don't have bivy gear. There's no way to keep a rack comfortable against your back, so don't try. Just let it settle and it'll work itself out.

If I do have bivy gear, its sleeping bag first, rack on top of that, rope under the pack lid. Sleeping pad and bivy sack (if I brought one) strapped to the side of the pack.

If we don't bring a pack, its slings and nuts on the harness, cams on the shoulder-sling, rope in a butterfly coil as a pack. Again, person with the rack doesn't carry the rope unless we've got two ropes. Survival stuff in the camelbak. Easy.

moof

Mar 13, 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #40 of 52 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For whatever reason I've got partners that always bring their rack too. It wouldn't be bad, except one guys rack is almost entirely booty gear, the other guy has a hodge podge of robot cams, and other rot gut gear. So of course I always want to climb on my rack. Now we have two racks, often two ropes...

Best piece of advice I've ever gotten was to bring a small pack. You only want just enough space to not draw attention to how little you ended up with. "Sorry due, pack's full."

I carry one of those mide sized Metolius haul packs, the ~2000ci ones. I learned long ago to never put cams on the very bottom, the lobs can cut holes through the bottom of your favorite pack. So I put all my draws, cordelletes, spare biners, etc on one 2' sling, and drop that into the bottom. I then put all the cams, nuts, and other pro on another 2' sling and drop that in next. Lastly is the harness, chalkbag, etc. Shoes and water get clipped to the outside. If needed I lay the coiled rope over the top and cinch the bag over it. Or I can leave the rope in it's bag and carry it over the shoulder.

Usually I get other folks to leave a little of their crap gear in the car and get them to carry the rope.

stagg54

Mar 13, 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #41 of 52 (1590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:

When my partner is my 4'9" 75 lb. girlfriend, that doesn't work out so well.

devils_advocate

Mar 13, 2007, 6:24 PM
Post #42 of 52 (1566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stagg54] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stagg54 wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Damn she has to be fun... to climb with I mean. Angelic

markc

Mar 13, 2007, 6:35 PM
Post #43 of 52 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stagg54] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stagg54 wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Thanks for making my point better than I did. The size difference between my wife and I isn't that great, but she has bad knees. In some instances, dividing weight evenly isn't equitable. Everyone takes the load they're comfortable with and we try to avoid bringing an excessive amount of gear. As long as your partners aren't jerks, it all seems to work out.

c4c

Mar 13, 2007, 6:42 PM
Post #44 of 52 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use plastic Wal-mart bags. Double bagged for durability.

medicus

Mar 13, 2007, 7:00 PM
Post #45 of 52 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
I use plastic Wal-mart bags. Double bagged for durability.

Do you take two to carry in one hand, or do you have to bring 4 to carry in both hands? Is there any way to sling them over your shoulders? Can they last more than one trip?

phlyfisher

Mar 13, 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #46 of 52 (1546 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moof] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just get some cordalette and tie it in a loop. Make one for your trad gear and one for your sport gear. Then you just have to toss it in a pack. Helps keep a bit of organization. It also helps when organizing at home.

ryanb

Mar 13, 2007, 7:50 PM
Post #47 of 52 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phlyfisher] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get one of these:

Sometimes i butterfly coil the rope and wear it as a backpack over my pack. Gear usually gets racked, bundled and stuffed in the pack or under the shovel flap depending on how soon i will need it and how much there is.

al_piner

Mar 16, 2007, 3:47 PM
Post #48 of 52 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
Get one of these:

[image]http://213.35.53.10/store/media/new/all/main212z.JPG[/image]

Sometimes i butterfly coil the rope and wear it as a backpack over my pack. Gear usually gets racked, bundled and stuffed in the pack or under the shovel flap depending on how soon i will need it and how much there is.
I think you'll get more chicks if you use DR_FEELGOOD's banana hammock idea .

markc

Mar 16, 2007, 4:09 PM
Post #49 of 52 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [al_piner] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

al_piner wrote:
ryanb wrote:
Get one of these:

[image]http://213.35.53.10/store/media/new/all/main212z.JPG[/image]

I think you'll get more chicks if you use DR_FEELGOOD's banana hammock idea.

Unfortunately, I was acquainted with a guy with a penchant for overly-snug sweats. His junk was regularly on display, but he was crazy enough that no one wanted to bring it to his attention. He also had the unfortunately habit of regularly adjusting himself. Disgusting doesn't begin to describe it. If you're going to rock the hammock, make sure you're doing it properly.

Partner brent_e

Mar 19, 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #50 of 52 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] How do you carry your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
kane_schutzman wrote:
So when your at the crag and have to walk a mile or two, how do you store your gear or pack it with you? I understand most people use a pack, and I will too, but even so, how do you pack it in the pack?Wink I money I spend on my gear makes me not wanna throw it in the bottem, with worries that the wires may mess up or whatever.

Stupid question, but hey, look whos thread your reading?
just toss the shit in there... it might all come out alright... if not, you get a chance to buy more...
Just sell some of your draws off...
sorry, i just gotta mess with you... makes me feel like a bigger man. I kick my dog too.

i thought you only had a cat??? do you kick your cat, Doc?!?! DO YOU?!?!?

regarding Kane's question,
sometimes in the pack, sometimes on a sling. When i had a smaller pack i'd carry gear on a sling, most times now it goes in the bottom of the pack.

Ice gear. I always pack the same.... slings in the bottom, screws in bd's sleeve thinger (screwup?), screamers and biners and stuff, soft goods, harness on top, then usually a rope under the lid of my pack. I know the heavy stuff should likely go in the top, but i don't care.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook