RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

basilisk

Mar 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #1 of 11 (6505 views)
Shortcut

Tension Traverses
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

in short, what are they? i did a search but it only came up with some nonsense from Flamer.

FOTH says:
This is a simpler technique, useful for short traverses. The leader takes tension from the belayer and then leans to the side and uses friction on small holds to work sideways.

can anyone offer a better description? i'm having a hard time visualizing this

Partner holdplease2

Mar 11, 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #2 of 11 (6495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] Tension Traverses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Basilisk:

Imagine a situation where you and your partner are at a belay, and the crack or system you are starting to climb really begins about 12 feet right of the belay, and maybe down a little.

If you didn't have any help from the rope, the moves look to be about 10a/b or whatever. The holds are slopey and kind of point to the side. No fun.

Now, if your belayer keeps the rope tight on your harness, you can kinda weight the rope and kinda scoot yourself to the right using the available footholds, which seem much more positive when you can pull on them sideways, with a little of your weight on the anchor, thanks to the belayer. Now the moves "feel" much safer and only really require the skill of a 5.7 climber.

You can do the same kind of thing up higher on a pitch. You place a piece of gear when you have to move to one side or the other. You climb down a few (5-6 feet below it) and call for tension. Now, with the help of the rope, you scoot over to the feature you are trying to attain. The belayer feeds you slack very carefully and slowly on demand to help you as you move across.

:)

-Kate.

flamer

Mar 12, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #3 of 11 (6437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

basilisk wrote:
in short, what are they? i did a search but it only came up with some nonsense from Flamer.

...hmmm so I was curious as to what you were refering as it seemed you started your post by being insulting to yours truly. So I also did the search....sure enough "nonsense " is how I would describe what came up as well!!

Those posts were part of a thread concerning 1 route in particuliar....which is the Reg. route on Half dome...The rest of the thread must have gotten nuked when the big change over happened...rendering what i said nonsense! But whatever you do don't jump!

josh

basilisk

Mar 12, 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #4 of 11 (6409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] Tension Traverses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, it wasn't meant to be an insult at all. glad you realized as such

thanks for the info Kate, that's much better than anything else i've found. i think i'll have to see someone else do it before i can truly understand it though

the reason i asked is because i read about the technique being used on the first ascent of a mixed climb at Lake Willoughby. it sounds even more sketch in that context!

Partner holdplease2

Mar 13, 2007, 3:33 PM
Post #5 of 11 (6374 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Basilisk:

It was probably noted as information on the "FA" because its not typically considered a free technique, because it involves the "Aid" of the rope.

Anyone encountering this section of climbing hoping to send it at the grade listed in the guidebook would likely find the moves harder than the listed grade if they didn't know about the tension traverse.

It also gives future ascentionists an opportunity to raise the bar even higher by attempting to free that section without weighting the rope.

All said, tension traversing isn't typically sketchy unless you swing back into a headwall or side of a dihedral if you fall. Or if the rope is stretched across something sharp. :)

-Kate.

irregularpanda

Mar 13, 2007, 7:58 PM
Post #6 of 11 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] Tension Traverses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the description, but I'm curious, what about the belayer? I suppose they could just jump and swing.....but uh?

Partner cracklover

Mar 13, 2007, 9:50 PM
Post #7 of 11 (6313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] Tension Traverses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

holdplease2 wrote:
All said, tension traversing isn't typically sketchy unless you swing back into a headwall or side of a dihedral if you fall. Or if the rope is stretched across something sharp. :)

Or if you're soloing, and using your hands to try to feed rope out of the grigri under tension, while sticking to the rock with one elbow and one thigh, and it's getting to be a ways out from that crappy high piece.

But then I get sketched easy.

GO

Partner cracklover

Mar 13, 2007, 9:52 PM
Post #8 of 11 (6309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Tension Traverses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
Thanks for the description, but I'm curious, what about the belayer? I suppose they could just jump and swing.....but uh?

The second, you mean? They'll probably lower off the high piece. Though, I suppose, if there's a piece at the other end of the traverse, they can do a tension traverse too, just with the tension coming from the other side.

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Mar 13, 2007, 9:52 PM)

iamthewallress

Mar 13, 2007, 9:57 PM
Post #9 of 11 (6304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Tension Traverses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most tension traverses that I've done have been 1. grabbing the rope near the anchor and leaning far off to the side, or 2. basically small and really slow penjis.

Sometimes a little back tension on a regular traverse can help you keep your balance while you reach for a placement or a hold too. In those cases, I haven't really been moving against tension the whole time though.

flamer

Mar 13, 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #10 of 11 (6302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Tension Traverses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:

...the belayer...whom I'm assuming has taken on the role of "cleaner" or "second"....will generally lower out from the tension point. There are a number of ways to do this, however tension traverse's aren't generally too long. Thus the "deucy" method is the way to go.

Start by mvoing your top jug over the tension point. Next I like to go to the knot on my harness and pull out several arm lengths of rope, creating a bight. Now pull the bight through the webbing/biner/lower out ring in the tension point. Pull this until you are holding your weight, with the rope, from your harness, and onto the tension point. Now remove your bottom jumar. Now slowly feed the rope with your hands so that you lower away from the tension point and into the plumb line of the rope. Once there slap your bottom jumar back on the line and pull the remaining rope through the tension point(remember it was a bight).

It's alittle confusing to describe, but actually quite simple.

josh

johngo

Nov 5, 2007, 5:21 AM
Post #11 of 11 (6166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] Tension Traverses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Huber brothers on the recent speed ascent of the Nose. They use a tension traverse to get past the King Swing in about 2 minutes!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RbT0ZySrTg4

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook