RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

iridesantacruz

Mar 11, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #1 of 4 (546 views)
Shortcut

Advice- Getting some new gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I backpack, climb and am in love with snowboarding. I am moving into the sierra nevadas this year and i plan to really gett into some serious alpine snowboarding. I've done a little bit on the east coast such as Tuckerman's and Mt. Mansfield. So while getting a little more serious im planning to get some more serious gear. I've been backpacking with an LL Bean pack i've had since i was a young teen, and using my friend's tent. So i was looking for a little adivce on some ideas for a tent and a pack. I want to buy better gear then i need so i wont have to buy upgrades in the next year or so. My real trouble in the decision comes from wanting to be able to use the same equipment winter through summer. I want to be able to backpack as well as take them into the mountains to shred some freshie freshie on a multiday trip. The worries that really made me post this question is using the same size pack all activities, wieght of 4 season tent for backpacking, and warmth from 4 season tent in the summer. So what are your thoughts?? (Also, i work at a ski shop so i get North Face at wholesale)
thanks-
chris

(This post was edited by iridesantacruz on Mar 11, 2007, 10:21 PM)

natec

Mar 12, 2007, 1:45 AM
Post #2 of 4 (507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iridesantacruz] Advice- Getting some new gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just picked up a CiloGear Worksack 60L from the advice and reviews I read here and elsewhere. You really really should look into getting the same pack if you are looking for one pack to do it all with.

blitz933

Mar 15, 2007, 4:34 AM
Post #3 of 4 (412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natec] Advice- Getting some new gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Second pimping post for Cilogear packs! I got one of his 60L's on sale when he switched over to the 2nd Gen style. It fits great (with a little tweaking, it does have a short adjustment period) and can carry just about anything! He even makes an external 'pouch' kind of pocket with staps on all 4 corners thats designed to carry your snowboard or snowshoes (might have to look around for it a bit on his site, it's difficult to find).

superbum

Mar 15, 2007, 4:56 AM
Post #4 of 4 (397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iridesantacruz] Advice- Getting some new gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow..you'vegot a lotta questions...hmmm where to start...

I recently got the Sphinx 45L by Black Diamond. You can't get that size now as they went to a 32L or a 42L size for the Sphinx. Anyway, I love the pack. Carries very well, fits well and is the perfect size. I find that 45L is JUST large enough for an overnight or two w/ climbing gear. It also cinches down extra small for those fast day trips or multi-pitch routes. If you were carrying more winter gear I would think about getting their 55L Shadow pack. Now, I dont know about being snowboard compatable....?? The only pack I've had that is designed to carry a board is a small DaKine pack w/ way too many straps and features that made it too heavy/bulky for its size.

As for tents...I'm not too familier w/ North face. I strongly recommend looking into Hilleberg tents (www.hilleberg.com) Bomber four season shelters and EXTREAMLY light w/o compromising too much strength. Many people will recommend bibler on this site...dont get me wrong they are pretty much the best tent for big mountain use...but in the Sierra you don't need such a specialized tent. If you do a buncha solo stuff, Bibler might be better as you will have room inside for gear if you are alone...but if you are raging w/ others, a Hilleberg would be better...ample vestibule space, interior space, etc. w/o the weight, and still strong.

My advice is not to get TOO specialized if you want to use your shwag year-round. But don't get suckered into getting "all-around" gear that basically sucks equally at everything...Take your board into the store and stuff the pack w/ weights, etc. and see if you can strap that bitch on there quickly and easily. Wear it around and see how it feels. Most packs are pretty good these days so just try them on. 55L is my sug. for an all-around pack size.

(This post was edited by superbum on Mar 15, 2007, 4:59 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook