segmented wall rack (3+ loops each side) 6 / 67%
9 total votes

AveryNelson

Mar 12, 2007, 3:59 PM
Post #1 of 3 (829 views)
Shortcut

Big Wall Rack Poll: Simple or Segmented
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Free climbing, I prefer using a segmented gear sling. As I've started aiding, I find I'd also prefer a segmented wall rack (versus something with one or two loops on a side). I've seen similar sentiments in prior threads, and after talking to a wall rack manufacturer was curious how a poll would fare. I figure this may provide them some good feedback.

For the aid climbers... do you prefer:
a) simple wall rack (1 or 2 loops each side)
b) segmented wall rack (3+ loops each side)

(This post was edited by AveryNelson on Mar 12, 2007, 7:10 PM)

summerprophet

Mar 12, 2007, 4:23 PM
Post #2 of 3 (791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AveryNelson] Big Wall Rack Poll: Simple or Segmented [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer a simple wall rack, so I can gather the entire rack and toss it behind me for the occasional free move. That being said, I also look for a full strength rack for the occasional frog step move and small loops at collarbone level for storing items I expect to use repeatedly (keep the small nuts handy while cruising a seam or keep the etriers up high if I am on a slab to prevent them clipping a piece of gear)

That being said, I am not a huge aid climber. I am not hammering pins, or setting new routes, just cruising the classics like so many before me.

stymingersfink

Mar 15, 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #3 of 3 (706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AveryNelson] Big Wall Rack Poll: Simple or Segmented [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when you mean 3 loops, do you mean a single loop with 3 individual pockets, or three loops which hang progressively lower?

Two loops per side, one above the other (Misty Big Wall Chest Harness) is what I like, for the reasons stated above : it's easy to throw the bulk of the rack around back and out of the way when necessary. In addition to this, its possible to pull the bulk of the rack around front when you have to reach that one little-used item you rack all the way around back to keep it out of the way.

The segmented racks suck for this, IMHO. I've used a friends Metolius gear sling (segmented style) once when free-climbing - hated it. Later when i purchased a full rack from a retiring climber it came with one. I sold it immediately. They work for some people (must, or they wouldn't make them), but they're not for me.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook