RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

captainstatic

Mar 16, 2007, 6:28 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Red River Gorge Fundraising Challenge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Red River Gorge Climbers’ Coalition has an anonymous benefactor who is providing $5,000 in matching funds towards the 2007 Pendergrass-Murray Recreational Preserve* mortgage payment due on July 15, 2007. They have agreed to the following challenge setup to add some fun and excitement to our fundraising effort:

1) This challenge will run for four months, March, April, May, & June 2007 and the challenge amount for each month will be $1,250. That means for each month if $1,250 is raised by the end of the month then that amount will be matched with $1,250 from the benefactor. For checks mailed in we will consider the postmarked date as counting for the month in which it was mailed.

2) The individual who contributes the largest amount in each month or the person who organizes a fundraiser that raises the largest amount, whichever is greater, will be recognized as the "RRGCC Fundraiser of the Month" and will receive a gift package of appreciation. This gift package will consist of at least a climbing related DVD and a t-shirt. We are working on getting some other goodies to put in these packages and will let everyone know what they are as the packages are put together.

Home gym fundraisers were very effective last year. Having a locally sponsored slide show is another great fundraising idea. Use your imagination, have some fun, and let's make this work in continuing to secure the largest (and I dare to say best) climber owned climbing area in the US. For donation information see: http://www.rrgcc.org/membership.php.

*The Pendergrass-Murray Recreational Preserve (PMRP) is a 700-acre tract of land located in Lee County, Kentucky. As of the beginning of March 2007 the RRGCC had collected $15,914.00 towards the annual mortgage payment of $29,400 due on July 15, 2007. The PMRP is home to well over 300 routes with new lines being discovered and developed weekly. At the end of 2006, the first 5.14c in Red River Gorge was established at the Purgatory area of the PMRP when Mike Doyle redpointed “Lucifer”.

dhaulagiri

Mar 16, 2007, 9:50 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [captainstatic] Red River Gorge Fundraising Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The PMRP is really an amazing place and hopefully people will come through like they did last year to help out.

It is somewhat unlikely that it will happen in the time frame mentioned but I plan on donating any ad revenue from my blog to the PMRP.

captainstatic

Mar 17, 2007, 6:05 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dhaulagiri] Red River Gorge Fundraising Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your support dhaulagiri! Before I joined the Board of the RRGCC I had only been to the Drive-By crag at the PMRP. While Drive-By is still one of my favorite crags, the Sore Heel Hollow area has really developed into a great area too. Something for everyone there from gumby to world class climber.

captainstatic

Mar 21, 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump...

For those of you who might not know, http://www.redriverclimbing.com is an online forum where the Red River Gorge climbing community hangs out on the web. Ray & Michelle Ellington who host this site were instrumental in last years fundraising effort for the PMRP payment. One of the things they set up on the site is an online auction: http://www.redriverclimbing.com/auction.php
In addition to gear items being auctioned there were a number of services auctioned too like cabin rentals, guiding, & photograpy shoots. So if you have anything to auction put it up. As the fundraising effort for 2007 gains momentum you might want to keep checking the auction site to see what is being put up for bid.

captainstatic

May 14, 2007, 7:40 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just wanted to follow up that donations needed to meet the $5,000 matching grant were collected in less than two months! The RRGCC's Red River Reunion event brought the RRGCC to within $500 of having the funds needed for making the 2007 mortgage payment on the RRGCC owned Pendergrass-Murray Recreational Preserve (PMRP). Then a $600 grant received from Patagonia on April 30, 2007 (See: http://www.rrgcc.org/...nt_detail.php?ann=25) put us over the top on the 2007 PMRP mortgage payment and started us on our way towards the 2008 payment.

The Patagonia grant was received with the assistance of The Benchmark Outdoor Outfitters of Cincinnati, Ohio. Our sincere thanks go to all of the climbers and businesses who contributed to the 2007 fundraising effort.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook