RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Partner bdplayer

Mar 20, 2007, 3:21 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1445 views)
Shortcut

New River Gorge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I shot this from an adjacent route that I was jugging up and down on to get the angle. I was going for a little less of a shilloutte than I got. The colours turned out nicely though.

Thoughts?

melekzek

Mar 20, 2007, 7:48 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bdplayer] New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bdplayer wrote:
The colours turned out nicely though.

the climb and the talent are underexposed, the sky is overexposed. Methods to deal with similar problems have been discussed before, such as fill-flash, HDR, graduated ND filter etc etc...

Paul_Y

Mar 21, 2007, 2:00 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with melekzek's comments but I think your close! It's always difficult to get even exposure when you have a white sky like you had. If you expose for the climber to bring out more detail on his shadow side the sky will turn even whiter, if you expose for the sky to make it look better, the climber will get even darker. Like melekzek said there are technical things you can do to even things out. But technical things are are usually more easy to solve than developing an artistic eye.

You're obviously working on the artistic eye in this capture. I'm no expert but I like your composition. Nice scenic background with the line of the river running through it. Good feeling of elevation because of the angle of view you have chosen. Nice placement of the climber and good timing on the pose!

lhwang

Mar 23, 2007, 1:50 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I quite like the composition... the position of the sky, climber and river are great.

I'd like to see more of the climber's expression, but that's just my personal bias.

8flood8

Apr 12, 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would like to see the climbers face more as well, but i disagree on the composition.

the climber is too centered. Maybe its just the translation from the interent to my screen...

the colors are great, but im not sure if a flash would have helped you there.

i seem to remember some kind of white balance apparatus on the camera or something (sorry im such a camera noob) where you aim the camera set the balance and then take the picture.

possibly the best bet would have been to get the shot from the other side of him

**edit
to fix the composition, maybe the camera should be moved to the left (closer to the rock)

what im trying to describe is a slight rotation that would have put the climber closer to the left frame edge, but without eliminating the details of the rock, hand/foot placement etc.

(This post was edited by 8flood8 on Apr 12, 2007, 4:10 PM)

sonyhome

Apr 13, 2007, 6:28 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I like the composition as is. You're in a perfect camera setup that's rare.

I like the calming effect of the talent's position, and the gorgeous tranquile view... And the exposure that the angle brings.

I think you can fix your photo with post processing, like I wrote in a previous post if you shot raw, you can use rawshooter/lightroom to add some fill-in light. If it's good jpeg, lightroom will work too.

(This post was edited by sonyhome on Apr 13, 2007, 6:29 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook