RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

sky7high

Mar 22, 2007, 5:25 AM
Post #1 of 16 (704 views)
Shortcut

Roadside climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I see a lot of nice rocks (at least they look nice, dunno if they're choss or something) just by the road, wherever a mountain had to be cut to place it. It's funny, cause there are beautiful cracks, possible sport routes and boulders, but they are litterally by the road (Decking means getting run over by a car).

I was wondering f anyone actually cares to climb them, they look like sweet artificial crags to me...

bent_gate

Mar 22, 2007, 9:32 AM
Post #2 of 16 (676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sky7high] Roadside climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually the rocks where a road is cut into a mountain were blasted and therefore have the quality of a quarry. So the texture tends to be less than desirable. The features are unnatural, and the rock is freshly exposed and un-weathered and therefore sharp. I've actually never seen any real cracks on these cuts, but I'm sure locations can vary.

Combine that with the 18 wheelers rolling by, and the diesel fumes, you would have to be pretty desperate to consider putting it on your short list to do.

But then again there are plenty of climbers on here where all that they have is a quarry to go to. So it's all relative. One climber's chosspile is another climber's treasure! Climb what you got!

microbarn

Mar 22, 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #3 of 16 (661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While they look nice, a lot of them are choss when you touch them.

Also, most places have laws against climbing them because you distract traffic.

sweetchuck

Mar 22, 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #4 of 16 (648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it would be a bad idea to climb on these. Rock fall could really kill some people. Also they may not be as stable as they seem, and us tax payers really kicked in on these things so we can drive through mountains, we don't want no freakin' climbers pulling them down. Although I have seen some low ones 20 feet or more from the road that would be fine to boulder.

granite_grrl

Mar 22, 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #5 of 16 (630 views)
Shortcut

Re: Roadside climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some road cuts have solid rock, many don't. Regradless, I don't need my gear confinscated when the police come by.

Partner jammer

Mar 22, 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #6 of 16 (617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WIsh I could help but I've never been down to Mexico ... That said, there are some blasted walls in New England that I would not hesitate to climb if allowed. As Microbarn mentioned, in the states it is illegal to climb rock on the interstates. Back roads are different, but rarely give you much rock to climb.

mikitta

Mar 24, 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #7 of 16 (523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Roadside climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Near my home - like just about a tenth of a mile down my road - is a really NICE 15-20 foot slab. I'm not sure if it would be good climbing or not as I haven't forded the stream and gone up the really steep slope to inspect it, but I have a feeling it would be good bouldering. I would want a top rope, though because a fall would end with a nasty tuble of another 15 feet into the creek.

Now, I would love to jus go over there and do what I want - but I have to clear it with my neighbor first. it's on his property. Maybe if I sign a form for him absolving him of all responsibility he'll let me have my way :P

Ah, but for fate and my husband's grandfather selling off half the land, it would be on our property. Oh well LOL.

BUT there are a couple spots on the main road I'm going to check out. If I choose my time of day, the road is pretty well deserted and the areas I'm interested in don't face any houses - so maybe I can avoid a visit from the local sherrif.

When I'm ready to get back on the rock, that is :)

According to a climbing acquaintance of mine - there are TONS of little cliffs around like that.

I know there is one place off of 50 between Salem and West Union - there's a nice little roof, and then there is another place on that same road with some sweet craks. The rock, since it is sand stone, is pretty well weathered and dosn't look any sharper than Veedaawoo granite - which is what I learned on and climbed for 11 years :)

BUT like someone mentioned - along highways - you do have the chance of distracting drivers - and on 50, they don't need any more distractions! Since we moved to WV, there have been about 20 fatalities between Clarcksburg and West Union alone. People are just plain crazy.

God Bless,
mik

bigfatrock

Mar 26, 2007, 3:24 PM
Post #8 of 16 (466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some peeps must do it. I saw a photo (I think in Climbing) of a guy top roping a highway in-cut. There was plenty of room between the in-cut and the rode though to park a car and pull up a camping chair. But as others have said, probably not the best idea.

sky7high

Mar 27, 2007, 4:07 AM
Post #9 of 16 (400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Roadside climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all for your responses.

edited to say that there's a "back road" that has lots of great rocks, (basalt mostly, with sweet cracks, looks bulletproof to me) the thing is its so narrow I wouldn't be surprised if a car knocked you out of the rock with its mirror

(This post was edited by sky7high on Mar 27, 2007, 4:11 AM)

fixednut

Mar 27, 2007, 4:22 AM
Post #10 of 16 (386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't care if you are a gumby and there's no naturally exposed rock for 500 miles - don't lower yourself to climbing on road cuts...take up golf or something instead and keep at least a shred of dignity.

miavzero

Mar 27, 2007, 5:21 AM
Post #11 of 16 (368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fixednut] Roadside climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

An old bridge in my hometown had a perfect finger crackwhere the underside of the bridge split and widened over a number of years.I used to tape my knuckles (sharp!). After I left in 1989, the bridge was condemned and destroyed.

musicman1586

Mar 27, 2007, 6:54 AM
Post #12 of 16 (345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miavzero] Roadside climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't read most the posts, but here's my experience with it. My father works for the department of transportation, and every year they clean up plenty of wrecked cars and injured passengers when huge blocks fall off those things, and undoubtebly they've cleaned up a few climbers in their day. Based off what he's told me about their solidity and how they erode, trad gear would be useless and bolts would either pull right out of the choss, or pull out a big block on top of you, same goes for bouldering, you'd like get the entire section of the wall coming out on you. Most of these areas around here are limestone however, might differ in different rock, but I know I myself have swerved around blocks almost as big as cars after a really bad storm or the like. Its rare that you see it in that proportion, but nevertheless, those blast spots are complete choss piles.
Edit: note my father is not the one that goes and cleans up the accidents and what not, he's way up in the management of things, however many stories still make it to his office, and having worked in the business for so long he has a working knowledge of all the commonly used items and techniques.

(This post was edited by musicman1586 on Mar 27, 2007, 7:10 AM)

al_piner

Mar 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #13 of 16 (294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [musicman1586] Roadside climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What looks good from afar is usually far from good .

.....Yet I still climb choss piles .

miademus

Mar 27, 2007, 5:41 PM
Post #14 of 16 (254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well once i knew a spot like that, there is a highway which in many parts are bridges over it ao there are mostly long concrete walls, since they were old they made awesome boulders and some sport climbs up to 10-20 meters, but it's really bad to climb when cars are passing by the sound is annoying and ppl are stupid too...

dobson

Mar 27, 2007, 6:13 PM
Post #15 of 16 (237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here in Butte we have a crag called Roadside Rocks. It is a cut in the granite made for the highway. The rock is relatively solid and is host to some good sport and trad climbing, (yes the cracks are pretty good). As long as you pay attention to traffic it is safe and legal.

Phillip

areyoumydude

Mar 27, 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #16 of 16 (226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moab's most popular crag.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook