RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

kane_schutzman

Mar 26, 2007, 5:09 PM
Post #1 of 24 (1371 views)
Shortcut

Pay to hike half dome?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Seems steep to me?Cool

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lets-Hike-Half-Dome_W0QQitemZ150106248808QQcategoryZ1299QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kman

Mar 26, 2007, 5:40 PM
Post #2 of 24 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What kind of a gorby pays to be guided up a maintained trail? WTF?

hibby11

Mar 26, 2007, 6:00 PM
Post #3 of 24 (1281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This reminds me of one that was posted awhile back of someone buying a fart in a jar for 60$ People will buy anything

(This post was edited by hibby11 on Mar 26, 2007, 6:01 PM)

skinnyclimber

Mar 26, 2007, 6:15 PM
Post #4 of 24 (1253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clear plastic trashbag to protect you from rain not included in the price.

It seems to me that if you are in physical condition to make the hike you ought to be able to make it without a guide...

Hmmmmmm maybe I should start a guide service...

dingus

Mar 26, 2007, 7:10 PM
Post #5 of 24 (1194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinnyclimber] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Plastic bags for mist along Mist Trail. If you ever do the hike mid summer you'll see many doing the same.

DMT

skinnyclimber

Mar 26, 2007, 7:12 PM
Post #6 of 24 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And you can probably get your trashbags on Ebay too!!! What a deal.

chalker7

Mar 26, 2007, 7:21 PM
Post #7 of 24 (1174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinnyclimber] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Even if I were NOT the arrogant, elitist prick that I am, I still couldn't justify paying to follow someone up a hill. It doesn't make sense. It would be hilarious if the fucktard who won the auction were a member on this site and ran across this thread though.

dingus

Mar 26, 2007, 7:50 PM
Post #8 of 24 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 wrote:
It would be hilarious if the fucktard who won the auction were ...

Why is the bid-winner a fucktard?

DMT

builttospill

Mar 27, 2007, 1:57 AM
Post #9 of 24 (1034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

isn't it illegal to "guide" in a national park without a license?

There was an RC.com member a year or two ago that sold a "climbing clinic" or a "day of rockclimbing" on eBay for $70 or 100 or something like that.....in a local crag here in Utah. He got lambasted a bit as I recall. I won't post his user ID out of respect, but it made me laugh at the time.

joeforte

Mar 27, 2007, 2:07 AM
Post #10 of 24 (1025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, he got $455... just to go take a hike with some strangers. Hey, if there's ppl. willing to pay for a hiking partner, why not be the one to provide the service? $455 is more than I make in a day's work.

curt

Mar 27, 2007, 2:46 AM
Post #11 of 24 (986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hibby11] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hibby11 wrote:
This reminds me of one that was posted awhile back of someone buying a fart in a jar for 60$ People will buy anything

The jar's on my shelf and it's bound to go up in value. It's one of only three such canned farts known to exist.

Curt

kman

Mar 27, 2007, 3:00 AM
Post #12 of 24 (967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
Dude, he got $455... just to go take a hike with some strangers. Hey, if there's ppl. willing to pay for a hiking partner, why not be the one to provide the service? $455 is more than I make in a day's work.

No ones knocking the guy charging the fee. Yeah, if some one is too dunce to follow a trail, good for him for taking advantage of them hahahaha Shit, I would let some dumb ass pay me $250 to take them on a hike.

builttospill

Mar 27, 2007, 3:38 AM
Post #13 of 24 (928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's entirely possible that the guy that won it doesn't intend to pay, as well. That happens occasionally on eBay....it's a type of self-enforcement/self-policing the community tends to do. People use buy it now to get rid of ridiculous/scam auctions so others won't be suckered. Their rating takes a hit but it's worth it to them.

Not saying this is a scam, but it's possible that's what the winning bidder was doing. He might be a member of this site.

majid_sabet

Mar 27, 2007, 6:00 AM
Post #14 of 24 (905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builttospill] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to let you know
It is illegal to do any type business in National parks unless you have a permit to do so and in Yos, there is only two companies who can do such thing, and both are registered for guiding. If parks finds out, you will get you as*........ed following a fine
That also includes paying some one to sherpa your gear to base for climbing.

it is the LAW.

bent_gate

Mar 27, 2007, 9:25 AM
Post #15 of 24 (858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks to me like a classic 'bid on your own auction' Feedback Scam. That is, he is trying to build up some fake positive feedback for himself as a seller (using another ebayID or having his friend do it for him). The same person who bought the Let's Hike Half Dome <silvajeff> also bought the following from the same person:

<link> Bathroom Trim - I will come to your house & do a 4x4 room

Sure, I'm going to pay $950 for some random guy to put an unspecified trim style and color into my bathroom. Let's see, the auction started at 9:06 and two minutes later at 9:08 the bidding closed as <silvajeff> bid the full amount to Buy It Now. That was a quick discovery and purchase. You better bid on your own auction quick before someone else stumbles in and buys it from you. Then you would have to go and actually do the work. And another surprise, they left great feedback 7 days later.

BTW WTF is that in the bathroom picture anyway? Decorative trim for a cat door?

At least with the Let's Hike Half Dome bid, it took a whole 15 minutes for <silvajeff> to discover the auction and end it early by paying the full Buy It Now price of $455.

I know bidding on your own auction to run up the price is illegal. I don't know if it is if you win your own auction. Anyone want to notify the eBay police?

al_piner

Mar 27, 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #16 of 24 (812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:
It looks to me like a classic 'bid on your own auction' Feedback Scam. That is, he is trying to build up some fake positive feedback for himself as a seller (using another ebayID or having his friend do it for him). The same person who bought the Let's Hike Half Dome <silvajeff> also bought the following from the same person:

<link> Bathroom Trim - I will come to your house & do a 4x4 room

Sure, I'm going to pay $950 for some random guy to put an unspecified trim style and color into my bathroom. Let's see, the auction started at 9:06 and two minutes later at 9:08 the bidding closed as <silvajeff> bid the full amount to Buy It Now. That was a quick discovery and purchase. You better bid on your own auction quick before someone else stumbles in and buys it from you. Then you would have to go and actually do the work. And another surprise, they left great feedback 7 days later.

BTW WTF is that in the bathroom picture anyway? Decorative trim for a cat door?

At least with the Let's Hike Half Dome bid, it took a whole 15 minutes for <silvajeff> to discover the auction and end it early by paying the full Buy It Now price of $455.

I know bidding on your own auction to run up the price is illegal. I don't know if it is if you win your own auction. Anyone want to notify the eBay police?
While this does happen it wouldnt be the case in this auction . Ebay charges you a fee to place an ad and if / when the item sells they then hit you with a final value fee . These fees on a $455 auction will run about $35 . ( I recently sold a bike for $500 ) .

The REAL feedback scam is on penny , 1 cent , auctions with free shipping . This way your only paying 20 cents (the minimum listing fee ) for feedback instead of $35 .

This guy has quite a suprise coming when this money is deducted from his account or charged to his credit card !!!

Welcome to FEEbay slick ...

Partner sevrdhed

Mar 27, 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #17 of 24 (810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good theory Bent_gate, except for one problem. Generally, if you're going to have a buddy buy an item to get positive feedback, you'd want to have them buy a less expensive item. It does cost money to sell on eBay, and the items in question are both in the multiple hundreds of dollars. Thus, the fees for selling both would also be much more expensive than if it were a $0.99 item, for example.

Plus, you only get one positive feedback from each unique user. So, even though he bought two items and can leave 2 positive feedback, each persons feedback score will only go up one.

Also, it's obviously not a situation where they're bidding up the auction price, because they didn't bid. They used Buy It Now.

However, I will give you the fact that the whole thing is pretty strange. Those are some expensive items that are selling for far beyond what you would think the actual market value of the items are.

redpoint73

Mar 27, 2007, 1:06 PM
Post #18 of 24 (797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sevrdhed] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you get a free fanny pack with the guide fee?

bent_gate

Mar 27, 2007, 9:42 PM
Post #19 of 24 (711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [al_piner] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

al_piner wrote:
These fees on a $455 auction will run about $35 ...

The REAL feedback scam is on penny , 1 cent , auctions with free shipping . This way your only paying 20 cents (the minimum listing fee ) for feedback instead of $35 .

This guy has quite a suprise coming when this money is deducted from his account or charged to his credit card !!!

Agreed, I did consider that a person looking for just feedback would do a low dollar auction to avoid the fees. But I really couldn't explain the two minute Buy It Now turnaround of the confederate, unless it was specifically coordinated. Possibly he didn't consider the fees, otherwise something else is going on. With a week between auctions though, one would think he would have seen the ebay fees on the first, and not done the second auction that way.

sevrdhed wrote:
Plus, you only get one positive feedback from each unique user. So, even though he bought two items and can leave 2 positive feedback, each persons feedback score will only go up one.

That I wasn't aware of. (and possibly he wasn't either). I agree those are weaknesses in the theory. So here is a new theory:

It's part of a money laundering scheme. <silvajeff> owes <cal172> money for drugs or something else illegal. So <silvajeff> pays it to <cal172> through bogus ebay auctions for things that can't really be proved if they are delivered or not. This way <cal172> can utilize it as part of his legitimate revenue stream, and not have to hide it as cash. True this is mainly done for cash over $10,000, because banks have to report cash deposits of that size.

No matter what, any theory is better than believing someone would pay $455 for someone to hike with them up half dome! Mad

And I'm still perplexed on the professional trim on this pet door. Crazy

chalker7

Mar 27, 2007, 9:54 PM
Post #20 of 24 (695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
chalker7 wrote:
It would be hilarious if the fucktard who won the auction were ...

Why is the bid-winner a fucktard?

DMT

Because I've been dying to use fucktard in a post for some reason lately. Why does it matter to you? Are you the bid winner? LOL.

builttospill

Mar 28, 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #21 of 24 (660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or perhaps, instead of paying the final value fee, this guy will file an unpaid item report and have his fees refunded......that would solve the problem.

Wait just a few moments and we'll check in our friendly eBay seller.....just give me a few minutes okay?

builttospill

Mar 28, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #22 of 24 (613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builttospill] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No connection at all. Sorry folks.

I know, even I believed there was.....but there isn't. Someone either really is that desperate to get up Half Dome, or something else is going. Oh well.

dingus

Mar 28, 2007, 3:38 PM
Post #23 of 24 (591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Pay to hike half dome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 wrote:
Why does it matter to you? Are you the bid winner? LOL.

Maybe I am. I've certainly paid to hike Half Dome. How about you? You been up there?

DMT

chalker7

Mar 28, 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #24 of 24 (553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nah haven't made it that far yet. When I get there I won't pay to follow someone up the trail in order to get to the top. If I'm too incompetent to make it on my own I will have to accept that. Don't get too offended there slick, its RC.com and you of all members should know how people around here bust on each other all the time. I do have to admit that after a couple years of reading your posts, I'm surprised you'd admit to not being core. Peace, people...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook