Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dakind50

Mar 29, 2007, 6:26 PM
Post #1 of 47 (5536 views)
Shortcut

NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, I am new to moutaineering and have a few questions.

My goal is to climb Denali when I turn 30. Which is in two years from now. I have done long hikes on the AT (I live in DC) and know how to camp/live outdoors for a spell without carrying my kitchen sink with me, but I want to move into greater challenges.

I am looking for a two year plan to build up to my goal. I currently play very competitive rugby and do yoga, so my fitness is pretty good. I plan on taking the winter courses at International Mountain schools this fall/winter. I am looking for both a progressive (in US only, can afford to go out of country) chart of places 'to-do' and a good progressive shopping list that I can spread out over 2 years. I have done small peaks already, Mt. Fuji and Mauna Kea. But that is nothing in comparison to Denali.

Thanks so much for reading, if there are some FAQ's I missed out there please point them to me, as I don't want to waste anyone's time..

Chris

kixx

Mar 29, 2007, 7:25 PM
Post #2 of 47 (5513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dakind50] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm writing you a "book." Look for it to be posted in a day or two.

I was in your shoes 6 years ago.

dakind50

Mar 29, 2007, 7:31 PM
Post #3 of 47 (5504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool thanks I am looking forward to it!!

olderic

Mar 29, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #4 of 47 (5491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spend some time hiking and camping in the White Mountains (NH). Do a Presidential Traverse therre and dpn't try and rush it - force your self to stay out for a couple of nights to focus on the cold weather camping.

Climb Rainier with one of the services - make sure you take the extended course that spends considerale time on glacier travel and crevasse rescue.

I assume you are going to do this with some professional service - they will give you a boatload of advice.

kane_schutzman

Mar 29, 2007, 7:44 PM
Post #5 of 47 (5490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What were your goals?

Can't wait to read it!

To the op: I am in your position now. I signed up for a course with an AAI school.I know they have seminars for Denali, but I think any training would be good. I am trying to get on a Denali in the Late 08. You probably already know this, but without much first hand knowlege I can only tell you what I logically thing. Rainier, Baker, 14,000 in CO, and do them with the huge pack, and maybe find a way to drag a sled.

dakind50

Mar 29, 2007, 7:50 PM
Post #6 of 47 (5488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the end goal is to do the trip without a service, prehaps using services on the other trips as part of the training. White Mountains is a must do I am thinking.

Being group/self reliant is one of the main goals, prehaps more then even getting to the summit. I am that way in the woods no problem right now, doing it in snow is much different I am thinking..

thanks
chris

drzaous

Mar 29, 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #7 of 47 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doing Denali unguided is somethign that I tink you will want more than 2 years prep for. i hate to be the party pooper ont his one, but I live and climb in interior Alaska, and I have been doing it for 5 years now (2 years before than in coastal Alaska). I was thinking about doing denali this spring (and have been thinking about it every spring for 3 years now), and I just don't think I am ready. A lot of people don't take Denali seriously enough. The West Butt may be a walk-up, but you need to be completely confident in your clothing systems, sleeping systems, and above all PARTNERSHIPS, before you go. if you really want to do it in 2 years, I woudl really urge that you go with a guiding service. Like I said, I hate to be the synic, and rain on everyone's parade, but people die up there, and most of the time, it's the people NOT on the guided trips. If you really want to do it unguided, my advice is this:
-Give yourself more time.
-Do an Alaska Range trip beforehand (Ruth Gorge, a couple weeks at Kahiltna basecamp peakbagging, anythignt o get yourself familiar with Alaska weather)<-WAY IMPORTANT!!!
-Get a VERY good partner, both in terms of ability and a person you can completely get along with (remember, any arguements you have now, will be exponentially multiplied when you have to spend a week tentbound at 17k feet in a storm.)
-Do as many winter camping trips for as long as you can. Most people are not turned around by technical difficulty on Denali, they are turned around by being burned out by the 'grind'=camping in the cold for weeks.

These are just ideas. If you really want to do it in the time frame you are looking at AND unguided, then give yourelf a LOT of practice trips. Plan on spending every weekend and one week a month on winter climbign trips. Being a proficient winter camper will be your key to success. Spending a lot of time on Mt. Washington would also give you a good idea of what life above 17k on Denali is going to be like (windy and cold ALL THE TIME).
I hope this helps, and like I said, I don't want to be the ass that rains on everyone's parade, but I hate reading about all the accidents that happen on Denali every year.

PS Don't be a cheapskate on gear. How much is your life worth? Get the best of everything you can. You will have plenty of time to contemplate your cost to benefit analysis while you freeze at high camp in your 'bargain' sleeping bag.

dakind50

Mar 30, 2007, 4:52 AM
Post #8 of 47 (5413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drzaous] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude I hear ya man. I am thinking about it hard believe me. My partner in the trip is also pushing us in that direction. Regarless I want to be taught on much smaller places, with much less risk to start with and to learn correctly from the start. Believe me, I know people die up there. I have been trolling forums and websites for quite a bit now. The shit is legit! As far as equipment goes I agree with ya.

Regarless I would love any training advice and or places on the east coast to learn the craft...Has anyone used/taken IMC classes....

thanks again...

wanderlustmd

Mar 30, 2007, 2:21 PM
Post #9 of 47 (5388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with the advice on New Hampshire. I grew up there and Mt. Washington can be pretty brutal; people die on that mountain every year and it's 1/5 of Denali.

I understand if this is a goal to complete before 30, but it's not like the mountain is going anywhere. If you can adequately prep in two years, then fine. But don't let it cloud your judgement.

Good advice above. My old climbing partner attempted the WB a few years ago, didn't make it due to weather, but it is definatley a great endurance challenge. You systems need to be completely dialed, as was mentioned above.

I'm sure the courses will teach you this, but make sure you learn crevasse rescue techniques. I've never done a class through IM, sorry.

divnamite

Mar 30, 2007, 2:36 PM
Post #10 of 47 (5379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just came back from IMCS mountaineering class. I had a great time, weather was beautiful. We didn't summit because we were late. The class itself was very good, in term of coverage and depth. I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot more than I imagined. I'm also a newbie to alpine and ice, personally, I don't think a three day class is not nearly enough.

dakind50

Mar 30, 2007, 3:05 PM
Post #11 of 47 (5367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [divnamite] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very nice thank you. I would not think just doing a 3 day would be enough, but a good base to start building from. Anyone know good places in backcountry VA or West VA that would be good training. Nothing on this side of the states is really going to do the altitude justice, but getting the systems down is key its seems...

unreleasedenergy

Mar 30, 2007, 3:42 PM
Post #12 of 47 (5355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in WV, Dolly sods or spruce knob in the ANF are ok.
pick a weekend and go, hike off someplace exposed and bivy, wake up early, pack up and hike until dark to another corner. bivy and hike out the next morning or repeat another all day.
some times the weather cooperates and its -10 at night.
nothing to crazy but decent for an intro to systems.

i second Mt. washington, especially the winter presi. that will prepare you better than anything else in the north east for the west butt. white outs and storms all the time.

drzaous

Mar 30, 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #13 of 47 (5314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unreleasedenergy] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Something I forgot to mention...
There is more to climbing in Alaska than just technical know-how... We have very distinct weather patterns that produce unique alpine challenges. Only through experience can one gain knowledge about thee features.. double cornicing, what incoming bad weather looks like, etc. that was my reasoning behind making a trip to the ruth or Kahiltna a year or so prior to your denali attempt. One trip will not make you an expert, BUT it will give you an idea of the type of unique mountaineering challenges Alaska can create. Also, if your going to go unguided, see if you can get a few other people to go with you. Once you hit 14k you can split up and do your own thing, but havign more people will help out on the trudge to 14k through the monster crevasses.

Seriously though. Don't underestimate the how much of an undertaking a trip like that is. Get AS MUCH training as you can prior. You literally cannot be prepared enough...

kixx

Mar 31, 2007, 2:31 AM
Post #14 of 47 (5294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In 2001 i had been doing a lot of backpacking in the Northeastern woods and then went on to overnight trips into the winter of that year. After my fist trip i could think of nothing else but winter in the mountains. It got me thinking of bigger mountains and after looking into mountaineering i decided to make it a goal to get to Denali in 2003 or 2004. All that summer of 2001 i read everything available on mountaineering, Denali, Rainier, glaciers, winter clothing and camping, mountain rescue, mountaineering accidents, and everything else i could find along the way (i accumulated a very large mountaineering and alpine climbing library in the process). i knew of 6 or 7 friends who would be interested and figured we would naturally drop out 1 by 1 until we had a core group of 3 or 4 (we ended up with 3 plus 3 porters that i'll explain later). I also realized that this was going to be an expensive undertaking, but the company i work for supports these kinds of challenges and put up the remainder of the funding after family and friends (if anyone wants a job in NYC i am a manager there now - we like to hire elite athletes - including climbers - and give you the time off for training and trips).

Our group enjoyed the learning process and was very independent so we committed to training, doing our homework and “paying our dues” so that we could go unguided, and furthermore we wanted to climb the North side of Denali on the Muldrow Glacier to get the solitude and satisfaction of following in the footsteps of the first ascent and a complete traverse. We didn't have much technical climbing experience (other than one member of the team who had spent a few years working for the NPS in Yellowstone, Yosemite, and North Cascades NP) but we knew self reliance, bad weather experience, our team, and physical fitness was far more important. We all had very strong elite athlete backgrounds (rowing, marathons, ultra marathons, and best of all we were working as movers in Boston) as well as a long history of backpacking, and these strengths are what led us to making the Muldrow our goal.

So, we knew we had a lot of work to do to get ready for Alaska. After i took crevasse rescue and winter mountaineering courses offered locally in NH we found ways of schooling ourselves on everything. We staged crevasse rescue "situations" on our local crag - hauling up haul sacks as fallen climbers. We tested all forms of snow anchors, low angle rope and rescue work, winter survival (snow shelters), clothing systems, food systems, stoves, and on and on. We spent a lot of time on Mount Washington and the Adirondack mountains in truly unspeakable conditions. We discovered things that worked and others that didn't. We made mistakes that would have killed us on bigger mountains and learned to prevent them form happening again. We could do it all in the dark, tie knots and work with ropes in our mittens, and had fun doing it. (most of the fun is getting ready for a climb IMO). I even met with Brad Washburn (RIP) and discussed the route and his long history on Denali. (he is a topic for another story)

Soon we were ready for Rainier where we spent 10 days on the mountain in winter. We told jokes and farted a lot in a snow cave while winds topped 100mph outside and the temps dove. (destroying two tents at camp Muir in a guided party, we discovered after it finally cleared.) We continued to refine our crevasse rescue and mountain rescue techniques during good weather days, then summited on the second to last day, spending that night in an open bivy at 12,000 feet under the stars (it was really cold but it felt good to know we could do it.). All the hard work and years of preparation was starting to pay off.

Finally in the spring of 2004 we headed off to Alaska. Our group of 6 included the three climbers who had become very tight and knew exactly what we were doing and why, and also a group of 3 “porters” whom we knew through some loose connections that came along to help us porter our stuff to the glacier. These other 3 guys were very close to one another, worked together for a major outdoor apparel and gear chain store (EMS if you care), and went rock and ice cragging together often. None of them had ventured past the crags in any committing way (other than one who had been through NOLS), and had spent most of their time on short top rope climbs, but they wanted to go to Alaska because.., well just because it was Alaska. I agreed to pay for their plane tickets if they would help us porter our gear the 19 miles to the glacier rather than us hiring dog mushers.

Anyway, they took it upon themselves to sabotage our trip, and I mean that in a literal sense. For reasons we can only speculate they decided that we did not deserve to do what we were doing. After getting dropped off at Wonder Lake at the end of the road in Denali NP they told us what we were doing was impossible and left us there with 30 days of supplies while they headed back to the park entrance for some day hikes. Needless to say we decided it would take us too long to shuttle all the gear the 19 miles to the glacier, requiring 2 trips (three times one way.) After a day of hard thinking by the McKinley river we decided that, without our “porters,” we were SOL and so we cached the gear and made off for the Muldrow Glacier to see how much exploring we could do with 7 days of supplies. We crossed the river 4 times in the process, and covered the 19 miles back out to Wonder lake in 1 Alaskan “day.” We saw an incredible mountain up close and personal and it still sits in my soul.

After you read this post check out the “other side of the story” which I discovered a year after the fact on RC.com. The thread from one of our sabotaging porters is linked – read it after you finish this post. It still makes my blood boil. If any of you who replied to that post are still around you better man up.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ring=muldrow;#733006

So, anyway what I'm saying is that the people you go with will make or break any endeavor of Denali proportions. The 2 guys who were perfect for Denali at the time don't have much ambition for hard alpine climbing, and since then I have moved on to new climbing partners who's interests are more aligned with my alpine ambitions (my new goal is to open new routes in places rarely visited). I've gone to Rainier again, and done a lot of alpine climbing in the Pacific Northwest and Northeastern United States with partners who are at that level (and some who weren't.) As for the “porters,” they will have bad karma for life, so if you know them, don't climb with them. In fact, do me a favor and shun them.

Make absolutely sure that you have people around you who's interests and goals are aligned with yours. Talk about it to make sure, and find new partners if they are not. It's hard to do this because you'll be afraid that if you decide not to have them with you, it'll take forever to find new partners. Relax, you can find people, and if you can't, I'll go with you. I'd love to get back up to Alaska but I'm not going to go until the right folks come along.

One of the reasons I'm against guided trips on big mountains is that you don't get to choose your partners. Also with a guided group you feel like you don't have to do all your homework and “pay your dues” because the guides will be there, and that's BS. (besides, isn't the process of self discovery the whole reason we do this???)

As you can see from my story, you can be ready for Denali in 2 years if you devote everything to it... but make sure your partners are on the same wavelength as you are. My climbing friends were ready, but 3 small, secretly selfish, and self absorbed, EMS employees from little Connecticut was all it took to throw away years of research, training, and lots and lots of money. The people you climb with are more valuable than any gear or guide you can pay for. Don't let people who are afraid of life tell you that it's too dangerous, or that you don't know what you're in for. If it's dangerous than learn the dangers and how to avoid them, if you don't know what your in for then do your homework and find out so that you do know. Sheeesh, if nobody ever researched and discovered things on their own there would be no computers, cars, crampons, dynamic ropes, moon walks, or mountaineering.

Learn from my mistakes, don't reinvent the wheel.

Lastly. I'm hoping to climb something on the North side of Denali in 2008 or 2009 if anyone is interested... drop me a line. I'm nothing if not transparent. ( I gotta put a plug in there for good partners, you can never have enough)

Climb Hard,
Kris

(by the way, if you read the linked post from 2004 you may have guessed that i am not a "kid," i do have some idea of what i'm doing, i have tied a figure 8 once or twice, and every time i have climbed on Ranier i have climbed with a permit. If anybody knows the rangers at Talkeetna you know what fools these portering clowns made of themselves by "ratting me out." i also would not mind if anybody was up for a real life Count of Monte Cristo - contact me if you live in the Northeast and you'd like to play along"

dakind50

Mar 31, 2007, 4:14 AM
Post #15 of 47 (5274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude all I can say is Holy sh*t.

I guess its the rugby player in me, but those cats would have been crawling back home, cause I would have broke both their legs. My wife is a lawyer so I would do the time. I just can't believe that. On top of that they felt it was ok to take you, at least 1500 bucks, for the plane ticket and just say fu*k it. Crazy

I have read about the route you were trying to do. The hike into it seems killer, then you start climbing up...Thanks for the info.

The time it takes for the learning is going to make this tougher. My fitness is great, but I am basically trying to go from good AT hiking experiance to a expert level experience in a very short amount of time.

Prehaps I need to give my self more.

Denali will be there long after me...

Regarless thanks for sharing, prehaps we can hook up at some point after I take some classes...I don't want to be a liablity....

peace
chris

gargrantuan

Apr 1, 2007, 4:45 AM
Post #16 of 47 (5178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kixx- i guess i'll be the one to say it.......they were right to bail on you. i wouldn't have wanted your deaths on my conscience either. you have obviously learned a lot since then and i would hazard a guess that the lessons you elucidated in your post have kept you alive.

dakind50- get a guide, you're obviously a punter.
honestly, i think it is great you have set yourself a goal and are searching for ways to achieve it but the best way to do that is with an AMGA/ACMG certified guide. they are the partner that knows the weather patterns, has the experience, and the judgement to keep you safe. if you REALLY want to summit Denali in two years being guided is the safest and most reliable option.

i question how much experience and "mountain sense" a person can accrue in two years, courses or no. the reality is that you have ZERO knowledge of what it takes to climb at altitude, ZERO knowledge of Alaskan weather, little experience in the alpine, and little to no technical ability.

i don't want to shit on your dreams, because we all need dreams, but i think you need to curb your ambition. why climb denali? why does it have to be in the next two years? people who go to the mountains with strict timelines, specified goals, and little patience end up dead.

i hope you climb denali one day, but i hope you realize that alpine climbing is life long pursuit and that getting to the top isn't nearly as fulfilling as the process we undergo to achieve that end.

atg200

Apr 1, 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #17 of 47 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gargrantuan] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

have to agree with gargrantuan. bailing on you after getting there is pretty lousy and for that their karma sucks, but i wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near that scene either.

anyway, i also agree that 2 years isn't long enough to build up enough mountain sense. folks that go up there without a solid base usually do fine, but if the shit hits the fan they end up dead or needing a rescue. kinda like the gumbies who decide they can climb a wall after reading about it on the internet.

anyway, you just can't get prepared for that sort of thing on the east coast. sure, the weather sucks in new hampshire in the winter, but without altitude and glaciers it is just a different sport.

a good plan is the following:

1. hike up a bunch of 14ers in a place like colorado. it'll get you fit, you'll start to get used to higher altitudes, and you'll learn an awful lot about mountain weather.

2. go to mexico and climb the volcanos. they are an easy way to get up to 18K without having to deal with difficult glaciers or much in the way of objective hazards. do the ayoloco glacier on ixta instead of the standard scree slog.

3. go to the cascades and climb a bunch of mountains. dial in your crevasse rescue skills. get away from the cattle trench routes on the volcanos so you have to do some route finding.

4. go to colorado in the winter and suffer in the cold. take some avy courses before you do it.

5. for your final exam go down to ecuador and climb some volcanos. they are 19-20K and will have route finding and crevasse issues, but the nice thing is they are day climbs from the huts and its cheap. its also a good way to see if you really like feeling sick and cold and tired while doing the hardest work of your life.

it'll probably take you 5-6 years to go through this list if you are in a hurry. that is a good thing - it takes time and mileage for most folks to get competent. short circuiting the learning curve is fine for cragging, but it is a good way to end up in a bad way if something goes wrong in the mountains.

tallnik

Apr 1, 2007, 8:32 PM
Post #18 of 47 (5085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Combine this post above with the winter camping in New England (or even better, drive in to QC for some 'real' cold weather - unless you do Mt. Washington that 'little mountain' can be HARDCORE. Once was up there is +5C in the valley that night saw 105mph winds, -40C windchill and 10ft visibility. In OCTOBER!).

Cheers,
Nik

kixx

Apr 2, 2007, 4:32 PM
Post #19 of 47 (5025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gargrantuan and atg200,

i believe that if you guys and anyone else on your side of the fence knew me and the folks involved you might think differently on your opinions. i'm not going to be able to change your minds about my specific situation, or the ability of a party to safely complete an expeditionary climb ofter two years of preparation. But i would like to argue my case a little further since this is such a strong philosophy of mine.

Climbing big mountains takes special people who can feel comfortable in that environment. It takes true grit and a hard @ss personality which some people have and others don't. i can think of at least 6 situations i have witnessed and countless others i have read about where a person has mentaly "lost it" on a mountain when pushed past their comfort zone. When this happens people die. The biggest mistake a mountaineer or alpinist can make is to look past the warning signs and take along somebody who just doesn't have "it."

Now, i'm not claiming to be a fearless bad@ss. i could not complete a 1 mile open water swim without "freakin out." If i was 8,000 meters up, on a grade VII, 100 ft above a belay with only a sketchy pin i would "freak out."

In other words i know my limits and i owe it to everyone else to trust that they know there's. i firmly believe that it is 90% peer pressure that gets the wrong folks into the mountains and gets them hurt or killed after they "freak out" from the psychology of never having wanted to be there in the first place. i violated the peer pressure rule before and never will again. (i did not pressure the sabotaging porters, they wanted to go so they could sabotage our trip behind our backs)

i also understand that a mental break down is not always the reason behind an accident in the mountains. Gumbly parties have not set running belays and the whole team ended up at the bottom of Denali Pass, people have died of AMS because they did not understand what was happening to them, people have walked into unstable snow and been swallowed by avalanches, stood too close to a cornice that broke, allowed too much slack in a rope to prevent an otherwise harmless crevasse fall, and on and on. These accidents are a result of a lack of educating themselves, not a lack of experience. All the information you need to avoid these types of accidents is out there waiting for you to find it without having to go out and experience it yourself. We don't need to reinvent the wheel - others have gone before us.

I always refer back to the first ascent of Denali by the sourdough boys. A bunch miners with no climbing experience who went from 14,000 feet to nearly 20,000ft in one day. They all had true grit and they knew it. Granted they were familiar with Alaskan weather, but they also did not have the climbing knowledge that is available to us today. In fact they knew so little about mountaineering most of the climb was improvised, but they had enough bad @ss in them to get away with it.

So my preparation routine is this:

1. Research Research and Research. Somewhere between personal written accounts, stories told to you personally be people who have been there, and scientific research lies the truth of what you will experience.

2. Evaluate
Do I really want to do this?
Do my partners really want to do this?
Do I and all of my partners have the psychological strength to get through this?

3. Practice Practice Practice
Use your research to create a methodology to use the resources you have available to practice specific details to perfection. Anticipate any kind of worse scenario you can and practice for it somehow.

All of this can be done without going to Alaska, or the Himalaya or wherever your goals are, but only if your research has left no stone unturned in you quest for knowledge. The lists of "to do's" cited above are good suggestions and there are many more good suggestions out there for practice (getting experience) but none is the be all end all.

4. Evaluate again.
Decide as a team "are we ready yet?
If no, then advance your practice to get you to that level or lower your objectives (or even get a guide). Your practiced skills must meet with the requirements of your objective.

For me this process of self discovery is 100% the value of climbing.

When devoted to this process any objective can be met in two years or less.

Example - i am not very devoted to climbing Everest, so i would get hurt or killed on that mountain without years and years of experience.

We were ready for Denali in the spring of 2004, and it was all taken from us... i can't believe that can be found acceptable. If you don't feel safe with somebody then you need to tell them and bail ASAP. i ignored the signs that these guys didn't have what it would take and i paid dearly for that.

But, why would any body be so selfish, jealous, elitist and convoluted to think that is would be a good idea to pretend you were along to help when really you planned on sabotaging them? The porters believed it was for our own safety and that is totally F'd up. They couldn't even cross the darn river.

Some got it and others don't - just know where you are and don't judge others is all i'm asking. If anybody wants to come to these forums with a big objective in mind then trust that they know their limits and provide the best information you can.

dynosore

Apr 2, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #20 of 47 (5015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

1) they scammed you by pretending they were going to porter for you

2) Sounds like you've never been anywhere near 20000 ft., picking a route where finding out you can't handle it leaves no retreat options is bad judgement on your part. Tackle the West Buttress first, then you'll know how altitude affects you. Sorry, you were getting in over your head whether you realize it or not. I've been climbing about as long as you, and started in my late 20's, you should have many good years of climbing ahead of you, don't end up DEAD because you were impatient or have some arbitrary goal.

atg200

Apr 2, 2007, 5:04 PM
Post #21 of 47 (5007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

could be kixx - there are a handful of folks out there that can get ready for something big in that amount of time. i think that they are rare, and most likely wouldn't be popping on to this forum to ask for information though. my plan is a good one for normal folks, and not a bad one for mutants just starting out either.

anyway, your porter's karma is definitely in the toilet and it was an awful move on their part to bail after getting there - if they felt so strongly they are cowards and bastards for not bailing on you before getting there. it doesn't change the fact that i wouldn't have wanted any part of that scene though.

you can be an elite athlete and done all the research in the world, but without loads of mileage, years of familiarity with the equipment and systems so the mechanics are ingrained, and most importantly without having gone through all of the epics and fiascos that invariably happen while learning in a smaller environment, an accident is still a wild card.

you might be one of those rare folks that are capable - i don't know you, so who am i t say? i just think it is a mistake to encourage that path with someone you don't know posting up a newbie question on the internet.

divnamite

Apr 2, 2007, 6:55 PM
Post #22 of 47 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a newbie to this as well, I also want to climb Denali. I'm trying to follow this chart http://www.mountainmadness.com/about/lyd.cfm I assume you can't go out of country to just climb, although Mexico is probably just cheap. So instead of Peru, Bolivia, Kilimanjaro, try replace them with Mt Rainier or Mt Whitney or other tall peaks in the US (concentrate on more technical route if possible).
As for your shopping list, almost all of the guide services provide some suggestion list for you, you can just cross reference those lists and sort out the basics. I'm no marathoner, shit, I'm an urbanite from NYC. I personally don't think I can do it in two years, if you are hardcore like kixx, you can probably do it. My view is simple, Denali isn't going anywhere anytime soon, just take your time, it's not like Denali asks about your age when you climb it. BTW, go with a guide service, I know the importance of self-reliance as a scuba diver, but unless your team is good and strong, going with a guide is the best (safe) way to go.

atg200

Apr 2, 2007, 7:36 PM
Post #23 of 47 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [divnamite] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

why wouldn't you want to go outside the US to climb? mexico and ecuador are going to be the same if not cheaper in cost to climbing in the cascades if you aren't a local.

whitney will do nothing to prepare you for denali. i think it is a very good idea to go to ecuador and do a climb that is along the lines of summit day on denali without having to worry about the big expedition part of the trip. there just isn't any substitute for going to high altitudes other than prior experience. i can go to 14K anytime without much trouble, 17K i feel it, and 20K gets hard.

drzaous

Apr 2, 2007, 8:47 PM
Post #24 of 47 (4943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seriously, listen to all the people who are agreeing that it's a bad idea. Or just suck it up and get a guide. Getting guided up after a 20+ year climbing career that included all the pre-requisites and experience involved in 20 years of climbing...now THAT would be lame. There's no shame in being guided if you've only been going at it for 2 years. There's SO much more to mountaineering than the equipment. Its not like sport climbing, and it's not even like trad climbing. You have to KNOW your environment, INTIMATELY, to not be cheating death on Denali.
As I've stated. Every Fall, I get an itch to climb Denali. By december, I've realized I'm just not ready, and this is after 5 years of climbing in Interior Alaska and a further 3 or so at home in Anchorage, it regularly gets -30 to -50 during an average mid-winter trip up here, and I'm still scared shitless of the weather up there...

dakind50

Apr 2, 2007, 9:31 PM
Post #25 of 47 (4923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drzaous] NEWBIE POST: Denali in summer of '09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do want to say thanks to all. I have already read much but, and I don't know what you'll think of this.

Reading things for me (accounts of blah blah blah, tips on this or that) in books make it seem easy or do able.

Thus I asked questions from folks here to get a 'real' account of what should be done or how hard something is.

I can't really leave the country for the next two years because (and I have been planning on starting/trying this for a bit now) but I all of sudden have child on the way, thus doing long long trips is out of the question for about 2 years. So its just weekend/long weekend things until then.

Bascially I want to enter my 30's much better then I did my 20's. Which was something at 20 I didn't think would happen or as my thinking went, how could I possibly be in better shape later in life ;-0

What is a good goal then for 2 years out? Something certainly hard but something I can learn the skills to do before hand then do unguided.

I agree with most here that the point of doing something like denali is meeting the moutain on its terms.

Also please don't flame I am only looking for answers with respect to the sport and the mountain. I read a lot of threads on here with cats that the holier then thou 'tude. I see it all the time in rugby. They are also the first ones with a neck injury....

thanks and keep the info coming its been great!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook