RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

librik

Nov 27, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2419 views)
Shortcut

Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A climber fell from considerable height in JTree this Thanksgiving day, does anybody know what happened to him?
We were climbing on the other side of the rock and did not see the accident, we only saw the rescue arriving. Somebody told us later that he z clipped while trad climbing; he had massive injuries to his head and his pelvis. However, this is all hearsay.
I hope this person is doing all right.

timm

Nov 28, 2006, 5:56 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [librik] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Natalya,

There was a report of a free soloist falling 60+ feet in the Belle Campground (Twin Tanks?) area on Thanksgiving Day and suffered massive head trama and was airlifted out of the park. One Park employee told me that she thought that the climber later died but no one seems to be able to confirm this.

I'm not sure if this is the same accident that you are referring to. Where exactly were you climbing ??

Tim

(This post was edited by timm on Nov 28, 2006, 5:57 PM)

librik

Nov 28, 2006, 7:38 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timm] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, we were climbing at Belle. I'm trying to figure out at what rock formation we were, but I'm pretty sure that's him. God, so he died?
I don't know who he was but my condolences to his friends and family.

shakylegs

Nov 28, 2006, 8:37 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He z-clipped?

librik

Nov 28, 2006, 9:12 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shakylegs] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I said above that we did not see the accident and that all the info I had at that point came to me secondhand, including that he was trad climbing and that he Z clipped.

Partner baja_java

Nov 29, 2006, 1:54 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i wasn't at the scene, nor in the park on Thanksgiving Day. just heard it from a family friend of the injured climber who fell near the top of Diagnostics at Belle. the leader had placed 4 pieces, and was putting in a 5th piece (and hasn't pulled up slack to clip yet) when he fell. the rope however did not catch the 4th piece, and the 3rd piece did not arrest the fall before the climber hit the ground. they still don't know whether that 4th piece was not clipped, or came unclippped during the fall. definitely not z-clipping though. climber was wearing a helmet, but had landed on the right side of his head and body. very serious head injury, and same for his entire right side. his belayer happened to be a trauma RN and immediately rendered aid, along with others on the scene. they helped rescuers get the victim airlifted out within 20 mins. big thanks to everyone involved for responding so quickly. lastest i've heard is that the injured climber has come out of coma on sunday, has movement in his extremities, but hasn't spoken yet. those directly involved are likely still very concerned about his condition, first and foremost. maybe when that improves they might breathe easier and tell us what happened, when they're ready to, if they choose to. i'm curious too, like anyone else. but for now, just hoping the injured will recover fully, what his family and friends are wanting the most too

Sean

librik

Nov 29, 2006, 2:25 AM
Post #7 of 17 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baja_java] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will definitely take first aid/wilderness medicine course now. Good to hear he's alive.

chanceboarder

Nov 29, 2006, 2:52 AM
Post #8 of 17 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the update on the accident. As always it's sad to hear news of an accident and someone getting seriously injured. Best wishes to all involved and a speedy recovery to the victim.

Jason

climbsomething

Nov 29, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #9 of 17 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spooky. I was just going through some old JTree pics last night and I came across one of me on Count Dracula, the slab just left of Diagnostics. I saw the Diagnostics crack behind it and thought, hey, that was a fun little 5.6...

equada

Dec 8, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #10 of 17 (1755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was one of five that assisted in this accident. The story is that the belayer was a month into climbing
and the leader was an experienced climber( not sure how long, but his gear looked to be used quit a bit). appearently they met a work, Loma Linda Hospital. The leader (Ben) is medical student and belay (Lester)is a RN.
The scene was; rope clipped in 2nd pro @ 30', 3rd pro @ 40' unclipped, possible back clip or didn't clip, lead passed 3rd pro and took fall from 50'.
His belayer was in shock and did not assist in any medical. This guy can thank a climbing group of ski patrol and search/ rescue members from Big Bear Lake.
He fell to his head and shoulders, sustaining severe head injury, punctured lung, possible hip dislocation and fracture, coma. We have heard that he was responsive to verbal tones but could not talk or see yet.
All , including Park Rangers were not clear as to what really happened, only Ben will know what went wrong. His belay was so inexperienced he could not shed any light on the fall.
I personally think this guy made a huge mistake by trusting a newbie to belay on trad.
One month new. It ruined our day to climb. But we were all glad to help this guy fast.

easton

Dec 8, 2006, 2:17 AM
Post #11 of 17 (1708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [equada] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems unfair to blame the belayer. If a clip was missed or back-clipped, causing it to pop out, the belayer probably couldn't do much about it. Experience at belaying does not teach the ability to stay calm in an emergency, either. Not sure placing blame on anyone is appropriate. The injury happened, and we should wish the climber a speedy recovery.

Good job by whoever it was that assisted in the rescue. Props for taking the time and effort to help another.

g

Dec 8, 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #12 of 17 (1674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [easton] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank god he decked or no one would have been able to render medical assistance, given it was a noobie!

The leader is in charge. I've made decisions to let new climbers belay me up long/hard routes before, and I've judged correctly (up to now). Seeking out people who will keep you alive is just like route finding, and any failure is on you! Don't go trying to blame others for your pulselessness!

I can just see now that the injured climber is a friend of mine, and I'll have to apologize for all my poor-taste shit talking!

equada

Dec 8, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #13 of 17 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [easton] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It wasn't something you ever want to see happen, I'm not making an accusation just an opinion. and was glad to help.

somasight

Mar 30, 2007, 1:09 AM
Post #14 of 17 (1186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello everyone! My name is Ben and I was the one that fell this Thanksgiving. I do not know how I fell and forgot about 1 month of my life. All of December is gone from my memory. At any rate I suffered a brain injury, 5 broken ribs, a broken wrist, a broken pelvis and left ankel. I am doing real well right now and am back in the gym working out!

Word to the wise..... Never fall 60 feet!

Partner robdotcalm

Mar 30, 2007, 2:25 AM
Post #15 of 17 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [somasight] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ben: Welcome back and best wishes for a robust recovery.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

timm

Mar 30, 2007, 2:25 AM
Post #16 of 17 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [somasight] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ben, glad that you are ok. Park personnel were assuming that you would be fatality. I'm glad they were wrong.

Did your companions tell you what happened ??

somasight

Mar 30, 2007, 5:40 AM
Post #17 of 17 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timm] Climbing accident in JTree on Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep pretty much everybody including doctors thought I should be a fatality. I learned what happened from my belay partner Lester although he was really in shock and couldnt remember much. Anyways I cant feel any pain from my broken ankle, my ribs, or my busted facial orbital bones. The only thing that really smarts is my right wrist that I just had surgery on in oder to fix my busted scaffoid bone. My brain injury seems to be ok as I can remember everything that happens and remember past events.

God had something to do with my recovery as I just yesterday drove out to Belle campground in order to see how far I fell. I just couldnt believe I fell 50 - 60 feet on to the ground and survived. My two friends Darcy and Ryan climbed it and I watched and saw where I fell.

At any rate I am thankful and lucky to be here typing and WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WHO HELPED SAVE ME. WITHOUT YOU I WOULD BE FINISHED!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook