RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

nelsras

Sep 22, 2002, 10:18 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2093 views)
Shortcut

New BD Viper ice tools?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just curious what people think about BD's new tool the Viper. It looks a lot like a cross between the Rage and Cobra. I've swung a pair in the store and they feel nice. Anyone had a chance to demo them yet? You can check them out at http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/alpinism/icetools_viper.html

coconutz

Sep 23, 2002, 3:24 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2093 views)
Shortcut

New BD Viper ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for what I understand they are a better "hooking" tool. They made it with more clearence than the cobra to help with it. Because of the extra clearence it is supposed to be better to use leashless that the cobra. Also thay have added a little pommel(sp?) stop for your pinky.
The Cobra is still in the BD line. They say it is a better "pure swinging" tool. Better balanced I guess and is supposed work better for people who only occasionally climb mixed routes. BD also says it is not as "stiff" as the Viper. The only thing I can think of when I heard that comment is that the Viper "feels" better on rock. You could liken' it to wearing slippers (viper) or wearing some stiff board lasted crack shoe (cobra). I know I streched that one a little thin but you get the idea about the "feel" comment

pbjosh

Sep 23, 2002, 3:35 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I demo'd some Vipers last winter - they're pretty nice, remind me of a cross between the Quark and the Cobra - a little bit "bigger" than the Quark but more hooked and lighter weight than the Cobra. I think they'll make a fine mixed tool, but I'll stick with my Quark's for mixed (finer point on the pick and I LOVE the Quark grip) and my Cobras for ice (love the swing). But then again I already gots 'em and don't need the Vipers

josh

beyond_gravity

Sep 23, 2002, 4:10 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New? I thought the Viper was taken off the line a few years ago and turned into the Cobra?

petsfed

Oct 15, 2002, 5:44 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Black Prophet was phased out of BD's line last year, but the only other axe/tool phased out was the Arc Light to make room for the far better (imo) Raven.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook