RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

bkboyd

Apr 2, 2007, 8:10 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2257 views)
Shortcut

New Priest Draw guide
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone seen the new e-guide to Priest Draw? It is an $8.50 download, available at:

http://www.boulderingtopo.com/...7&products_id=44

Unlike Supertopo, I couldn't find sample pages to view, info on the number of problems covered, etc. I'm curious to hear the opinion of anyone who has seen it.

BoulderingTopo

Apr 3, 2007, 4:33 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bkboyd] New Priest Draw guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

By tommorow morning you will be able to see more info on all of the eGuides. We will change the descriptions to supply what you are looking for and we will try to get up a sample page. In the meantime, check out the why buy page http://boulderingtopo.com/whybuy.html

This shows some of the main features. Thanks for the interest and please feel free to post more questions or contact us at info@boulderingtopo.com

arsenalcrater

Apr 3, 2007, 4:56 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bkboyd] New Priest Draw guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm...seems like a mighty sum. I have bouldered at Chuffalo Park, Priest Draw, Super Roof, School House Draw, Bird Sanctuary, West Elden, SF Peaks, Gloria's, and many other areas around the People's Democratic Republic of Flagstaff. I have found problems that are easy, do-able, hard and imposible (mutant), without the need to pay homage to a bouldering guide of such expense. I remember the first bouldering guide I bought for Chuffalo; a fold out copied piece of paper (John Matsen?) at a cost of a whopping $.75, which was plenty adequate considering he was bouldering there that day I bought the "guide" (very friendly, helpful guy). Maybe I am missing something here?

BoulderingTopo

Apr 3, 2007, 6:29 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [arsenalcrater] New Priest Draw guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We have also climbed at all of those areas and we don't really need a guide either. We understand where you are coming from. We have had an overwhelming request for info on all these areas from friends in town to people traveling from all over the world. We decided to make guidebooks to fill this void. Some want guidebooks, some don't.

asuclimber

Apr 3, 2007, 6:38 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [arsenalcrater] New Priest Draw guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems too expensive for a small area. Not to mention you have to print and assemble the thing yourself. I'd go with the free Dr Topo Version instead. Also, I think Marty Karabin makes a $2 pocket guide for Priest Draw which you can get at AZ Cliffhanger http://www.azcliffhanger.com/ (in the phoenix rock gym), or at REI, and a couple places inFlagstaff too I think.

BoulderingTopo

Apr 3, 2007, 7:06 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asuclimber] New Priest Draw guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The old Buffalo Park foldout has been out of print for years. We are trying to fill a void made almost 8 years ago when he moved away from Flagstaff and it became difficult if not impossible to get his foldouts. The new eGuide for Buffalo Park is $4 and is full color, 16 pages and shows 50 problems.

Marty Karabin, in Phx, doesn't have Priest Draw guides. He approached us looking for guides last month. We are working with him to get these guides in a format he can sell. The Priest Draw eGuide is 66 color pages with over 200 problems (Priest Draw and Howard Draw). The Dr Topo eGuide covers only a few walls.

Check out the guides http://www.boulderingtopo.com

(This post was edited by BoulderingTopo on Apr 3, 2007, 7:08 AM)

climbsomething

Apr 3, 2007, 7:41 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BoulderingTopo] New Priest Draw guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I bought all 4 guides, and I think they look great. I'll be buying all the rest, too. I'm a guidebook ho and I am not ashamed!

asuclimber

Apr 3, 2007, 8:10 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BoulderingTopo] New Priest Draw guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool. Sounds like a decent deal, and a lot more info than available elsewhere. Thanks for the additional info.
I just have to say, I still would be hesitant to purchase a guide to Priest Draw (even if it has 200 problems) for $8.50, if I have to print it myself. It won't be durable like a book, and yet you still are asking book prices. Many of the Karabin guides, have way over 200 problems, and cost only $2. These are much easier to justify buying as the price matches the durability.
Nonetheless, good luck with your business.

climbsomething

Apr 3, 2007, 8:20 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] New Priest Draw guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyway, the OP wanted opinions on the guides.

I had visited all of the areas before, but I had no idea what I was doing. Some people embrace this kind of no-beta climbing and exploring. I don't. (I guess I'm part of the demise of climbing.) And I have money I'm willing to spend to mitigate the confusion and frustration of wandering around looking for problems to suit my limited climbing abilities.

I like to know where the moderate problems are, how many there are, if they're choady, if they're highball, etc, before even going out. I like being able to refer visitors who need even more help. I'm also a visual person and I like photo overlays, action photos, stars, charts showing how many problems per grade, etc. Plus, even though I live in Flag, I have only been here since late August. The guides are helpful for a not-quite local, especially one without the savant-like memory for climbing areas.

I haven't printed them yet (I'll be loading them to my jump drive to print from the nice laser jets at work tomorrow!) but they look nice and clean. Almost every problem has at least a very basic text description; the books aren't just lists. They have purty pictures. And they look like something you could download to your phone or PDA, if you're techy like that.

One thing I would suggest is adapting all of the eGuides (once they're done) into a bound edition. Most of the work is done, but nobody ever complains about having more action photos or an even sturdier hard copy to beat around. Flag definitely has enough bouldering to warrant a guidebook, and I am quite sure people would buy one.

No, I am not on the payroll...

(This post was edited by climbsomething on Apr 3, 2007, 8:32 AM)

bkboyd

Apr 3, 2007, 2:11 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] New Priest Draw guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Hillary!

I was wondering about a bound volume with the different areas as well.

Supertopo charges the same price for either the bound or pdf version of their guides -- for example, the classic Yosemite free route guide is $30 either way. If you buy the e-book, you get the added benefit of free updates if the guide is revised. So, if the content of the Priest Draw guide is good, I wouldn't be put off by the purchase price.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook