RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

dynoingfool

Apr 4, 2007, 2:53 PM
Post #1 of 11 (832 views)
Shortcut

training for mountaineering?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, in July I am heading out to British Colombia for a month of mountaineering and glacier travel. what is the best way to spend my training time? hiking with weight? running with weight? biking? intervals? any advice would be appreciated! i figure im all set on the upper body (can TR 5.12b) but i was just wondering about other training...

el_layclimber

Apr 4, 2007, 3:00 PM
Post #2 of 11 (829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynoingfool] training for mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a bag of ice, mix it with some rocks and have a partner drop it on your head while you are leading.

dynoingfool

Apr 4, 2007, 3:09 PM
Post #3 of 11 (814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] training for mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds good! but i was hoping for some serious adviceUnsure

timm

Apr 4, 2007, 3:17 PM
Post #4 of 11 (810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hiking uphill with a heavy pack will probably be your best training. You want strong legs and good aerobic conditioning.

ihategrigris

Apr 4, 2007, 3:21 PM
Post #5 of 11 (803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timm] training for mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

timm wrote:
Hiking uphill with a heavy pack will probably be your best training. You want strong legs and good aerobic conditioning.

But do it on a cold day, and remember to drench yourself and all your clothes in water to recreate that 'alpine' feel.

dingus

Apr 4, 2007, 3:24 PM
Post #6 of 11 (799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ihategrigris] training for mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Legs and lungs are the mountaineer's tools. If you TR 12b then you know how to workout I guess.

I've found stair machines (various kinds) to be effective. I don't like carrying weighted packs for a workout though.

How bad would it suck if you pulled a back muscle or something about a month before your trip toting rocks up a hill for exercise?

Cheers
DMT

sungam

Apr 4, 2007, 3:32 PM
Post #7 of 11 (790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] training for mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get to the hills, pack everything you would be taking (to get used to finding stuff fast, and how it will sit on your back, etc.) and get some decent paced (going slow is a disaster on the mountain!) decent lengthed (no point TRing a 20' 5.5 when you want to RP a 120'5.12 is there?) hikes on the go. If you will be wearing rigid soles, I suggest training in rigid soles. The difference is profound.

-Magnus

sidepull

Apr 4, 2007, 3:41 PM
Post #8 of 11 (777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] training for mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
How bad would it suck if you pulled a back muscle or something about a month before your trip toting rocks up a hill for exercise?

I'll mildly disagree with dingus. Yep, stairclimbers can be a help, but you should train with a pack on. Sure, it would suck if you pulled a muscle before your trip but it would be way worse to pull it in the middle of your trip, backcountry, with limited resources to help you out. That's why training with steadily increasing loads should be a priority. In other words, don't start out with a 50lbs pack on a steep incline for 12 miles.

josephgdawson

Apr 4, 2007, 3:47 PM
Post #9 of 11 (769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To train for going mountaineering I do the stairmaster with a pack on and I throw about 50 pounds in it. Running is also good.

This gets me in good cardio shape and strengthens the legs, but when I actually get outside the movement over actual non-flat surfaces makes my hip muscles sore for a couple of days because you do not have to worry about balance and stabilization on stair masters.

You live in Maine, so you should be able to find some hills are around there to train on. Hiking outside with a pack on is the best training if you have the time.

dynoingfool

Apr 4, 2007, 8:23 PM
Post #10 of 11 (723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [josephgdawson] training for mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome, thanks for the advice guys! i think it would be worth risking the muscle pull and carry the weight, thank you allSmile

dharmasoldat

Apr 6, 2007, 5:17 AM
Post #11 of 11 (676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes...

Train in ways that most closely resemble the places you'll be going.

I've started conditioning recently again after having to take last year off due to BS health issues.

I'm starting out with yoga for flexibility, running/jogging for cardio, hiking with a 40lb. pack (for now) on hills, and then bodyweight and freeweight exercises to fill in the gaps... just be versatile and for God's sakes, start slow and light, take a day off and vary your training between your different routines or you will burn yourself out or injure yourself.

And take it from one who knows. Back injuries suck ass for bus fare and walk home from the terminal.

Best of luck

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook