RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

sonyhome

Apr 4, 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #1 of 4 (624 views)
Shortcut

Lost Arrow Spire
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gxWTuqJenE

Anybody cares to review and comment on this video, though it's not really a photo?

I haven't posted any new pics since... forever, partly because of winter, and partly because I haven't been lugging my few extra pounds of metal as often... And I've been travelling some, and been more active on car repair sites Blush, a new hobby.

I also got a camcorder, and I've discovered it is easier to use and generate something that will interrest people, rather than taking photos where there's a lot of requirements to get set-up, which make it impracticval in most cases to get a good shot: You go, you climb, you're done. For photos, ideally you'd have to climb, clean and have someone lead while you take pics from the top, assuming the rock shape allows you to get a good angle. Argh!

Now the downside is these videos suck up disk space like mad, and are slow to process. I got a miniDV cam, because it's cheap and I'm barely learning video 101, HD's not there yet, nore are other medias that do lossy-compression the image upfront to fit on a DVD, hard disk or solid state memory. Wait more!

melekzek

Apr 5, 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #2 of 4 (610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonyhome] Lost Arrow Spire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sonyhome wrote:
For photos, ideally you'd have to climb, clean and have someone lead while you take pics from the top, assuming the rock shape allows you to get a good angle. Argh!

Requirements are the same for a video, even more so. Most of the professionally done climbing videos are dead boooooring, even for climbers, so good luck.

Keep in mind : hand-held panning is not as exciting to watch as shooting it

stymingersfink

Apr 8, 2007, 6:36 AM
Post #3 of 4 (586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonyhome] Lost Arrow Spire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

definitely in need of some post-production editing. a snazzy soundtrack to cover the wind noise might help.

watching a guy get training on how to jug a tyrolean was kind of scary!

sonyhome

Apr 13, 2007, 5:32 AM
Post #4 of 4 (572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Lost Arrow Spire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I agree what I did is definitely not a work of art... I was aiming for enlightened beginner level. I am realizing how lame is panning and how short the sequences should be. However I'm stuck with my footage now since I don't plan to hike that one again. Argh!

FYi, this was for all of us our first aid climb, and our first tyrolean experience. Even more scaryCrazy [/crazy]

I realize now in movies most of the time, the frame is fixed and people are moving, and panning is more of a transition frame.

I now added a soundtrack to the movie now.

If I end up making some progress, I'll probably upgrade to HD.

Thanks!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook