Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chossmonkey

Feb 2, 2007, 1:11 PM
Post #26 of 40 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmc] Viper Picks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think it is more the pick angle of the tool than the picks. I have the picks from my Vipers on my Fusions and they work very differently.

If you picks are still stock, flie the underside like in the pick sharpening pictures and as basilisk suggested, removing the first tooth and making a slight hook. After doing that my Vipers climbed much better.

kmc

Feb 14, 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #27 of 40 (2570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Viper Picks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the help. I slightly modified the laser picks by adding a new tooth between the original front tooth and the front end of the pick.

I finally got to try them out this past Sunday and Monday in the Catskills and they hooked much better, and held on shallow placements, where they probably would not have held before.

Probably partially due to the picks, and also because I was just feeling really good, I was able to lead a couple of pitches that would usually be out of my range, and I felt great on them.

Thanks for all the help.

~Kevin

kixx

Feb 14, 2007, 6:20 PM
Post #28 of 40 (2559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any way to see pics of your work? I'd like to see what you did.

gunkiemike

Mar 15, 2007, 1:56 AM
Post #29 of 40 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kmc wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help. I slightly modified the laser picks by adding a new tooth between the original front tooth and the front end of the pick.

I finally got to try them out this past Sunday and Monday in the Catskills and they hooked much better, and held on shallow placements, where they probably would not have held before.

Here's some anecdotal evidence re. underside teeth. I recently acquired some used Quark picks to play with. The previous owner was either an avid drytooler or he believes everything he reads in Climbing magazine. Because the took a perfectly good pick and filed off the first underside tooth. The result looked good - had a big aggressive beak at the front - not unlike some of the diagrams floating around the Net. Unfortunately, behind said beak was a half inch of flat metal. Well I got to play on several pitches of steep ice with one of these picks on one tool and my usual worn-but-still-OK stock pick on the other Quark. Over the course of two outings, I experienced five, count 'em FIVE instances of the toothless wonderpick slipping out of a shallow stick where experience suggests it should have held. That's simply unacceptable and it send me onto the rope (TR, thankfully) at one point. So I have now cut a wicked, ugly, but very pronounced tooth into that previously flat real estate behind the front end. One day out suggests it hooks up nice and positive.

tomcat

Mar 15, 2007, 1:08 PM
Post #30 of 40 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Viper Picks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have run both the Titan pick and the Laser pick in my Cobras,but went back to the Titan full time.In the Cobra the Laser pick really sucks going over a bulge,they will often just bounce back out of a divot of their own making.I thought at first it was just me,but have run into two ther climbers who had the same experience using the Laser in the Cobra.The people I know that use the Laser in the Viper don't seem to experience this,I think because the swing is more curved.

chossmonkey

Mar 15, 2007, 1:24 PM
Post #31 of 40 (2504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Here's some anecdotal evidence re. underside teeth. I recently acquired some used Quark picks to play with. The previous owner was either an avid drytooler or he believes everything he reads in Climbing magazine. Because the took a perfectly good pick and filed off the first underside tooth. The result looked good - had a big aggressive beak at the front - not unlike some of the diagrams floating around the Net. Unfortunately, behind said beak was a half inch of flat metal. Well I got to play on several pitches of steep ice with one of these picks on one tool and my usual worn-but-still-OK stock pick on the other Quark. Over the course of two outings, I experienced five, count 'em FIVE instances of the toothless wonderpick slipping out of a shallow stick where experience suggests it should have held. That's simply unacceptable and it send me onto the rope (TR, thankfully) at one point. So I have now cut a wicked, ugly, but very pronounced tooth into that previously flat real estate behind the front end. One day out suggests it hooks up nice and positive.
As they get filed back and you remove more teeth the angle gets jacked and you do need to make sure that the front hooking tooth is angled so it bites rather than slides. I had the same thing happen with me when climbing with my Vipers on heavily used picks. In my Fusions it was never a problem as the pick angle is much steeper. Thankfully I too was on TR. Let that be a lesson if anyone is trying out new stuff that is quite a bit different from what they normally do!

It wasn't so much the front hooking tooth that did it but rather the long front side on the second tooth that was created when I had to file off the old second tooth to keep the hooking tooth. A little handywork with the file and there was a new second tooth where the flat spot once was.

We are supposed to be getting some new picks this weekend. If I remember I'll take some pics of the stock Lazer picks before I fix them, a new fixed Laser, and one of my beat up old Laser picks and post them.

percious

Apr 10, 2007, 1:47 AM
Post #32 of 40 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] Viper Picks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tomcat wrote:
I have run both the Titan pick and the Laser pick in my Cobras,but went back to the Titan full time.In the Cobra the Laser pick really sucks going over a bulge,they will often just bounce back out of a divot of their own making.I thought at first it was just me,but have run into two ther climbers who had the same experience using the Laser in the Cobra.The people I know that use the Laser in the Viper don't seem to experience this,I think because the swing is more curved.

I just started using the Vipers with the Laser and I am having serious bounce-back issues. Seven swings to get a placments that took me 1 swing with a straight shafted tool. Perhaps its my swing?

-percious

drzaous

Apr 10, 2007, 3:10 AM
Post #33 of 40 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [percious] Viper Picks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

file a bit more aggressiveness into the teeth, it'll help a fair amount. my old Charlet picks did that, and a few minutes with a file did wonders.

tradmanclimbs

Apr 10, 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #34 of 40 (2431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drzaous] Viper Picks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the laser pick absolutly stock on my Vipers. New it works great right out of the box. once the first long tooth is gone it's ussless as tits on a boar hog.. Too bad they break so easy....

percious

Apr 10, 2007, 1:40 PM
Post #35 of 40 (2422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Define more aggressiveness? File the back sides of the teeth so they point more?

Thanks for the help.
-chris

drzaous

Apr 10, 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #36 of 40 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [percious] Viper Picks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

make the teeth more pronounced. Especially the first 3-4 inches or so. with use they tend to wear down and get dull if you just reshape them into nice teeth again, it will help a lot. It's bet to use the tiniest file you can becasue you want to maintain the 'hook' on each tooth, just make it deeper. If you need more direction, I'll draw a picture.
Basically you want to take the original shape of the tooth, and make it bigger. so that it has more 'bite'

gunkiemike

Apr 14, 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #37 of 40 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drzaous wrote:
make the teeth more pronounced. Especially the first 3-4 inches or so.

Jeezis, how long are your picks?

(This post was edited by gunkiemike on Apr 14, 2007, 11:59 PM)

drzaous

Apr 15, 2007, 2:47 AM
Post #38 of 40 (2382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry, I meant centimeters.....

scotty1974

Mar 22, 2010, 5:02 PM
Post #39 of 40 (2130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thread resurrection!!!

Can anyone post more pictures of their modified laser picks? I'd like to get a better collective idea of what works best. I've got it set up more with the shelf up front and that 1st tooth pretty much brought down. I'm curious to see how much of a hooking groove people are using as my tools still take some work cleaning.

daneburns

Mar 29, 2010, 7:50 PM
Post #40 of 40 (2057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotty1974] Viper Picks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you looking for something like this?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook