RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jj1987

Apr 9, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Beginner in Orlando
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've just started climbing at the UCF gym and have become quite addicted. At this point, I'm considering rock climbing shoes and a chalk bag. Since I don't know what shoes to buy, or what size to get, I need to purchase them locally. Any suggestions on where to go?

Here's the only place I've found that sells locally-
http://www.travelcountry.com/

I was told that somewhere sells a harness, shoes, and chalk bag for $120, but can't figure out where.

galt

Apr 9, 2007, 8:53 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jj1987] Beginner in Orlando [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the club. I was one of the first guys to ever work at the UCF wall (not a claim to fame... but you have me to blame for a lot of the rules that are now in place) & actually worked at TCO as well.
Most folks at TCO know nothing about climbing. I'm not trying to be mean and those guys can outfit you like NO OTHER to do the A.T. or P.C.T. (best custom fit boots in the world by the way), but those guys don't climb, even if they talk a mean game.
You need to hook up with some of the folks at the UCF gym. Go, hang out, offer just to be a belay
B*t(h for the a busy day... just be a help around the wall, they'll treat you well. If Bill or Ander are around (both have moved on, but they still drop by every so often) they'll talk shop all day long. They're good folk.
Otherwise you've come to the right place. There are threads/forums here for EVERY piece of gear you can imagine. Just be forewarned, you need thick skin to hang out around here. Most people are helpful, but you gotta wade through the good AND the bad.
Lastly, get outside. It'll change EVERYTHING.
I don't know where you can score a bag/harness/shoes for $120, but check out some sites and see what you come up with. One piece of advice, buy a good pair of shoes & you won't need a good harness. (I'm partial to EVOLV shoes and BD harness are decent & fair in price... check em' out.)
Goodluck, climb on, enjoy your day, & touch base if you have any questions.

jj1987

Apr 9, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [galt] Beginner in Orlando [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I've spent about 2 hours a day 3-4 days a week at the gym, and finally know most of the gym staff by first name (and vice versa).

Unfortunately I'm stuck at a 5.9 course. I'm a bigger guy (170ish lbs, 6'1") and Just can't seem to get a good grip with my feet on some of the holds. I'm hoping that climbing shoes will help.

By the way, here's a video from UCF's rock wall. I had been attempting a 5.9 for so long I just couldn't get it, and went back to the 5.7 to do a "cool down". We were timing each other, that's what you're hearing in the background Tongue
http://video.google.com/...4820355558&hl=en

(This post was edited by jj1987 on Apr 9, 2007, 9:52 PM)

Rocknovice

Apr 10, 2007, 4:16 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jj1987] Beginner in Orlando [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jj1987 wrote:
I've just started climbing at the UCF gym and have become quite addicted. At this point, I'm considering rock climbing shoes and a chalk bag. Since I don't know what shoes to buy, or what size to get, I need to purchase them locally. Any suggestions on where to go?

Here's the only place I've found that sells locally-
http://www.travelcountry.com/

I was told that somewhere sells a harness, shoes, and chalk bag for $120, but can't figure out where.

http://www.aiguille.com/home/index.shtml

I climb here in Longwood and they also sell gear and are very knowledgeable. The UCF climbing team also climbs here. Use the search function on this site and you can find a lot of great info. I got my shoes from Zappos.com because they have free shipping. If you need to try shoes for fit, The city gym in Oviedo has a good climbing wall, auto belay, and La Sportiva rental shoes all for $10 an hour. I used the shoes to determine my shoe size and ordered online with free shipping and returns. I climbed there for 2 months to get started and I did not need a partner:

http://www.cityofoviedo.net/index.php?q=node/256

If you ever climb in Longwood, say hello. There are lots of friendly people who are fun to climb with.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook