Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dalfollo

Apr 7, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #1 of 42 (13251 views)
Shortcut

Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Like other noobs going through the 'gear acquisition' phase, I am always interested in finding regular things that can be used for Aid/Big Wall work....for example:

- Harbor Freight Tools has some large (6") carabiners of Aluminum that are not for climbing, but can help with organizing gear, and other tasks (they get the red tape indicating not for climbing)
- They also have decent cold chisels for a third of the price one might find them at HD or Lowes
- Making a 4" BW poop tube from PVC with the appropriate ends..pretty straight-forward
- Making your own funkness device from wire rope and swages at the hardware store
- Using a sewing machine to make my own bolt bag or even stuff sacs
- GriGri made from a hickory axe handle and an old rake (just kidding)
- 2 or 3 liter plastic Gatorade bottles have a very bomber handle built into the neck.

I am not making my own screamers or sewing a harness....but am looking for suggestions on home made gear, or non-BW/Aid gear that can be easily retasked to BW/Aid.

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions!

usacpnw

Apr 7, 2007, 8:57 PM
Post #2 of 42 (13227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dalfollo] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you hoping for a different responce then you other post got?

knieveltech

Apr 7, 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #3 of 42 (13193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dalfollo] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dalfollo wrote:
Like other noobs going through the 'gear acquisition' phase, I am always interested in finding regular things that can be used for Aid/Big Wall work....for example:

- Harbor Freight Tools has some large (6") carabiners of Aluminum that are not for climbing, but can help with organizing gear, and other tasks (they get the red tape indicating not for climbing)
- They also have decent cold chisels for a third of the price one might find them at HD or Lowes
- Making a 4" BW poop tube from PVC with the appropriate ends..pretty straight-forward
- Making your own funkness device from wire rope and swages at the hardware store
- Using a sewing machine to make my own bolt bag or even stuff sacs
- GriGri made from a hickory axe handle and an old rake (just kidding)
- 2 or 3 liter plastic Gatorade bottles have a very bomber handle built into the neck.

I am not making my own screamers or sewing a harness....but am looking for suggestions on home made gear, or non-BW/Aid gear that can be easily retasked to BW/Aid.

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions!

Cheap tools are a timebomb waiting to go off. I know a guy who decided cheap hand tools where the way to go, he bought some off-brand hammers. a week later he ended up losing his left eye to shrapnel when the head of one of these POS's detonated while he was beating on something. Do yourself a favor, buy tools that are worth having.

Partner euroford

Apr 8, 2007, 1:08 PM
Post #4 of 42 (13138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dalfollo wrote:

thats a good one. though i tend to simply go for whatever bottles are available. clove hitch the neck with a couple inches of cord.

otherwise, no. i would be hard pressed to beat the quality or the price of profesionally made storebought items.

tallnik

Apr 8, 2007, 8:41 PM
Post #5 of 42 (13081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [euroford] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using big OJ jugs, holding up just fine. Big ass handle, decent lid.

Nik

dalfollo

Apr 9, 2007, 2:25 PM
Post #6 of 42 (13037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [usacpnw] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Are you hoping for a different responce then you other post got? "

Yes, actually....looking for Aid specific homemade gear.

(This post was edited by dalfollo on Apr 9, 2007, 2:26 PM)

roshiaitareya

Apr 9, 2007, 2:43 PM
Post #7 of 42 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dalfollo wrote:

Those 2 sound good, otherwise, I'd have to agree. Anything you don't want to crap out on you (no pun intended) within a climb or two, get the high quality more expensive stuff.

dalfollo

Apr 9, 2007, 2:47 PM
Post #8 of 42 (13022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cheap tools are a timebomb waiting to go off. I know a guy who decided cheap hand tools where the way to go, he bought some off-brand hammers. a week later he ended up losing his left eye to shrapnel when the head of one of these POS's detonated while he was beating on something. Do yourself a favor, buy tools that are worth having.

I am sorry about your friend, but part of deciding to use either homemade gear or retasked gear would have to include the risk assessment and understanding the consequences of equipment failure. As well as using the equipment safely.

As I had indicated above there are limits to what I would use; but let's be realistic....Chouinard, Yates, etc ALL started as homemade gear at some point.

Does everyone buy their funkness/Pin-Head devices from Yates?

(This post was edited by dalfollo on Apr 9, 2007, 2:48 PM)

fenderfour

Apr 9, 2007, 2:55 PM
Post #9 of 42 (13013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've made some gear for climbing. Look in this forum and you will see a post on making Russian Aiders. I've also made belay seats, stuff sacks, etc. I'm thinking about making a ledge just for grins.

I'm currently working on an alpine pack. My next project will be a couple of smaller haulbags.

Do I trust my gear? absolutely. I bought a heavy duty sewing machine and I tend to oversew all of my seams.

Speaking of ledges - look up "Krutyledge" in the articles section. There's a neat write up on making a pvc ledge.

tomtom

Apr 10, 2007, 3:58 AM
Post #10 of 42 (12959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fenderfour] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is plenty of gear you can make or get cheap:

Aiders tied from webbing
Daisys tied from webbing
Harness: Swami belt and leg loops
Prussiks as ascenders
Tied runners
Duffle bags as haul bags.
etc.

Don't make it too complicated.

wanderlustmd

Apr 10, 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #11 of 42 (12916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fenderfour] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fenderfour wrote:
I've made some gear for climbing. Look in this forum and you will see a post on making Russian Aiders. I've also made belay seats, stuff sacks, etc. I'm thinking about making a ledge just for grins.

I'm currently working on an alpine pack. My next project will be a couple of smaller haulbags.

Do I trust my gear? absolutely. I bought a heavy duty sewing machine and I tend to oversew all of my seams.

Speaking of ledges - look up "Krutyledge" in the articles section. There's a neat write up on making a pvc ledge.

I think it's Krustyledge. hah, i hadn't thought about that in a while.

fenderfour

Apr 10, 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #12 of 42 (12889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn typos... thanks

frodolf

Apr 12, 2007, 9:56 AM
Post #13 of 42 (12817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been thinking about making my own adjustable daisys. The reason is that I'd like to have a daisy that's like metolius' or petzl's quickfix in handling, yet full strength. petzl quickfix is the only one I've really tryed, and that sucker is only rated for 150 dan!

So. I'm thinking of butchering my old petzl harness to get my hands on the big dubbelback buckles. The quickfix got a mini-version of them, and they work really sweet. Then TYING the girth hitch loop (the attachment point to the harness), and TYING the little loop holding the buckle. And everything made from full strength flat webbing. Not a single seam (except mayby a few to keep the buckles in place). In my mind, this would kick #ss!

What do you think about my idea? Any experience on home made adjustables?

lambone

Apr 12, 2007, 7:59 PM
Post #14 of 42 (12755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [frodolf] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a belay seat is pretty straightforward to make.

cheater stick...

rope bags

domu888

Apr 13, 2007, 1:27 AM
Post #15 of 42 (12734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dalfollo] Homemade or Cheap Bastard [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know one guy who makes all his own stuff from biners to ice axes. He also teaches engineering and metal-work at a university college that has the forges to go with it. I suggest befriending someone similar or going back to college.

lambone

Apr 13, 2007, 6:52 AM
Post #16 of 42 (12702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [domu888] Homemade or Cheap Bastard [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my buddy that I did my last wall with made his own ledge and fly (nice too). he said with the time and materials he spent doing it twice to get it right he should have just bought a used one on ebay. pbut it was pretty cool anyway.

skinner

Apr 13, 2007, 9:20 PM
Post #17 of 42 (12671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am always amazed at how people will be so quick to mob-lynch anyone who dares to even consider making some of their own gear. Aid climbers aren't nearly as bad though, probably because being innovative is a huge part of being a good aid climber, that.. and they're just used to making or repairing things of the fly.

What many people seem to forget, is that the majority of gear available today started out as "homemade". Sure the precisely engineered and C&C'd cams are far superior to the stove legs that Harding pounded in, but it was this "stove leg" type ingenuity that spurred on the Chouinards, Frost, and, Pecks, to design the gear which has evolved into what we have today.

So go for it, although I am not sure that Gatorade bottles are a huge breakthrough concept in water storage or transport Wink

vashie

Apr 16, 2007, 8:27 PM
Post #18 of 42 (12604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought I was going to get "mob-lynch" for having tied runners on my rack! I make all kinds of gear; small haul bag, belay seat, bolt bags, extra burly bigwall pants! I love making gear at home. I am currently in the analyticall stages toward making my own aluminum double Krustyledge and offset stoppers!Crazy

dr_feelgood

Apr 16, 2007, 9:08 PM
Post #19 of 42 (12592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vashie] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Plasti-Dip is your friend...
Plasti-dip over the knees of your pants for increased abraision protection.
Repair haul bags and plastidip the patches....
whatever needs sealing...

texplorer

May 4, 2007, 3:17 AM
Post #20 of 42 (12418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I admire your inventive spirit. The only thing I would caution on would be the "not for climbing" biners. On a wall your gonna get everything mixed up and the last thing you want is that crap.

I had a friend make his own ledge. It took awhile but he did a great job. He pretty much reverse engineered an old BD ledge and then made it bigger to fit him (he's like 6'3"). It ended up being heavier but burlier than the original.

Overall I would say you can get by with some homeade things like a double sling harness, belay chair, or even haul bag but your still going to need alot of gear unless your a master in the machine shop.

Anyway, just get to the valley and you'll find a partner or someone willing to loan you some gear to climb your dream climb.

trisgo

Aug 31, 2007, 1:39 AM
Post #21 of 42 (12059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, so I'm not the only one. One easy project is making a haul bucket for stuff that can break (cameras stuff like that). Drill 4 holes at the top and on the sides and throw on 2 pieces of cord, tie off the inside pieces with a washer between the bucket and knot. Spray paint it and slap some stickers on that bad boy. I wish i had a pic, i ended up putting backpack straps on mine.

majid_sabet

Aug 31, 2007, 2:27 AM
Post #22 of 42 (12041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trisgo] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you seen my homemade big wall aid jacket ?

phile

Sep 29, 2007, 4:43 AM
Post #23 of 42 (11837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Plasti-Dip is your friend...
Plasti-dip over the knees of your pants for increased abraision protection.
Repair haul bags and plastidip the patches....
whatever needs sealing...

I made some aiders out of 9/16 web, and inserted strips from a plastic storage container lid into the inside of the webbing to help hold the loops open. Still not as stiff as would be ideal. I'd been wondering about plasti-dip--does it adhere well to flexible stuff? would it really work on pant knees?

p

skiclimb

Sep 29, 2007, 6:48 AM
Post #24 of 42 (11814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

did the shield with a $10 hammok from wallmart tied at corners beneath my buddies single ledge.. worked fine.

stymingersfink

Oct 3, 2007, 3:31 AM
Post #25 of 42 (11758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Homemade or Cheap Bastard BW/Aid Equipment....Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
did the shield with a $10 hammok from wallmart tied at corners beneath my buddies single ledge.. worked fine.
go full on old-skool, anchor your "hammock" from a pair or anchor points.

first thing you'll learn is why porta-ledges were invented.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook