RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

saderinger

Apr 16, 2007, 2:17 AM
Post #1 of 6 (784 views)
Shortcut

Winds or RMNP for May Trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I want to do a May Climbing trip but I dont have a lot of snow experience. I would like to do mostly rock but get my feet wet with some snow climbing. I have visited both places in the summer and was wondering which would be a better choice for a person with little snow experience. I have narrowed the area down to either Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park or Gannet and some other easy rock in the Wind River Range, Any help would be appreciated. Also looking for a partner if anyone is interested.

Partner euroford

Apr 16, 2007, 9:55 PM
Post #2 of 6 (736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saderinger] Winds or RMNP for May Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for a good time on easy snow, you really couldn't go wrong with doing lambs slide on longs.

pastprime

Apr 16, 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #3 of 6 (713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could call or email NOLS in Lander for current conditions in the Winds, but May tends to still be a lot like winter there. You'll likely be postholing through a lot of unconsolidated snow, and want to have decent avalanche and snow travel skills. You will want to have skis or snowshoes for the approaches, most likely.

I've been in to Cirque of the Towers on fourth of July weekend when lonesome lake was still 3/4 frozen over and the ground was entirely snow covered, but at least it had firmed up enough that you stayed on top of it. That's unusual, but it gives you an idea of how late spring can be in coming up there.
Same advice could apply to Long's, also, but spring does typically come somewhat earlier there.

saderinger

Apr 17, 2007, 8:36 PM
Post #4 of 6 (696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pastprime] Winds or RMNP for May Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So would I need snow shows or skis for the approach on longs? would it still be mixed climbing or once i get to the rock would it be pretty much rock only?

saderinger

Apr 27, 2007, 3:18 AM
Post #5 of 6 (651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone know what kind of gear I would need to Long's in a week or so? Snow Shoes? Crampons? How much snow is up there right now?

maldaly

Apr 27, 2007, 3:45 AM
Post #6 of 6 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Call the gang at Colorado Mountain school. Their guides are up there all the time and will have the best current beta. 970/586-5758. I know they got 2' of snow a couple of days ago and it's supposed to snow again tonight. Spring weather is weird. One day you may be able to cruise along on topof the snow with no problem, then next you could be crotch-holing all day.
Good luck,
Mal

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook