RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

acollins

Apr 17, 2007, 6:01 AM
Post #1 of 8 (5318 views)
Shortcut

Sport Climbing 101 DVD?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone seen this dvd yet?
I saw the trailer just a moment ago and it seems really basic but is it worth the $30?

I'm a comfortable top rope climber and I even teach most of my climbing partners how to top rope but i've not been sport climbing. I'd like to get into sport climbing this summer and maybe even a little Lead climbing but with the lack of climbing partners in my area I find myself teaching other what I learn. Anyone think this dvd would be helpful in teaching my partners aswell?

sbaclimber

Apr 17, 2007, 8:00 AM
Post #2 of 8 (5306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acollins] Sport Climbing 101 DVD? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acollins wrote:
Anyone think this dvd would be helpful in teaching my partners aswell?
Yup, climbing vids are like climbing guides.....you can never have too many! Tongue

kevinheiss

Apr 17, 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #3 of 8 (5292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you now the basic of top roping, then you know how to make some type of anchor on bolts (I hope at least). Then the only difference if you have to clip in as oyu go up.

There really isn't much to learn for sport climbing unless you start to get into multi-pitch sport climbing.

Kevin

acollins

Apr 17, 2007, 2:50 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kevinheiss] Sport Climbing 101 DVD? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well that was always my thought aswell. That sport climbing was very simple and thats why I wanted to know if anyone had seen the dvd and knew if it had some value over the many books and internet content that i've read.
I may just buy it to help introduce my new partners to climbing.
And yes I can set up anchors. Other than what I learned in the climbing gyms, I had to teach myself everything from books and the internet. I think for every hour I climb I spend like 10 hours reading about climbing and doing research. But thats good because I feel i know more than most people I see out at my local slab.

fishman

Apr 17, 2007, 9:39 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

where do you climb? I saw you had curahee on your log. i've got a buddy in cleveland who would teach you how to lead sport but he broke his foot in three places last week, so no climbing for him for awhile. Like you said, it is simple, you just gotta have somebody teach you. Me and my buddies climb at Sandrock (if you're near curahee that'd be 2-2.5 hours) so if you ever come that way we'd be glad to help you out.

acollins

Apr 19, 2007, 6:00 AM
Post #6 of 8 (5181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fishman] Sport Climbing 101 DVD? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi. Sorry for taking so long to reply.
Thanks for the offer.
Yes I do climb mostly at Currahee. I live in toccoa and it takes me longer to drive up the mountain dirt road than it does to get to the mountain. :-)
If I ever get outside of toccoa i'll look you up here. I really only climb at Currahee and over at Trailhead Climbing Center in Anderson SC.
I think i'm going to pick up this dvd. I don't thing it will teach me much if anything that I don't already know but I think it would be really helpful to teach others about the sport and equipment before we are on site.
I befriended a couple girls at my local applebees and i'm taking them climbing in a few weeks and I think that this dvd would be a great teaching tool for them.

fishman

Apr 19, 2007, 7:03 PM
Post #7 of 8 (5132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gotcha, thats cool. let us know how the video is. you shouldnt have any trouble picking up sport, just gotta find somebody to lead belay.

acollins

Apr 19, 2007, 7:27 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fishman] Sport Climbing 101 DVD? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats one problem that I have. All the people who belay me on top rope are much smaller than I am. One girl is only 130lbs and i'm 250lbs... My brother knows about as much as I do about climbing so I guess he would be good for lead belaying me. He is around 230lbs. I know there is no way one of the girls will be able to hold me in a big fall. Its hard enough for them on top rope.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook