RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

crankingclimber

Apr 23, 2007, 4:22 AM
Post #1 of 21 (9351 views)
Shortcut

Seneca Highline
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, here's a hairbrained question. To those of you who climb at Seneca, do you think it is possible to set up a highline between the North and South peak, across the gunsight? If so, it would be pretty sick, but I'm thinking it would be pretty hard without doing some serious damage to the rock. Maybe slinging through the hole on Madmen Only, to ??? on the South Peak???

Will

scrapedape

Apr 23, 2007, 2:07 PM
Post #2 of 21 (9328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crankingclimber] Seneca Highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd suggest the gryphon's beak, but you'd probably pull the whole damn thing off.

Partner j_ung

Apr 23, 2007, 2:10 PM
Post #3 of 21 (9323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Seneca Highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Laugh I was going to say something similar, like, "Be careful not pull down Seneca Rocks." As for the suggested site, how far is that? I know it looks close when your up there, but isn't it a couple hundred feet?

crankingclimber

Apr 23, 2007, 2:52 PM
Post #4 of 21 (9297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Seneca Highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know its pretty damn far - but I can't remember offhand - It could be too far, but maybe it's not. It's a cool enough idea to warrant checking out in any case.

And yeah, I thought of using the Griffin's Beak, but I doubt it's strong enough. Hell, it's questionable whether or not a decently tight line would cause the whole thing to fall over. And man would that SUCK. Thanks for the thought fellas

Will

irockclimb

Apr 23, 2007, 7:36 PM
Post #5 of 21 (9257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Iv thought about this for a long time now. It looks to be the gunsight is 100+ feet across(guessing). And i know there is plenty on the south summit but im not sure about the north summit. Let me know if you end up rigging this line, Id love to come

reg

Apr 23, 2007, 7:49 PM
Post #6 of 21 (9246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is another thread on the south peak as you walk the ridge from north to south - pretty deep and have know idea as to it's wothiness for your purpose. i will say the griffin thumb would not be acceptable IMHO. what we need is a line across the corridor at nelsons! from the top of the headwall across! now ya got somthing. p.s. - you would not find me out there!

crankingclimber

Apr 23, 2007, 8:03 PM
Post #7 of 21 (9230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irockclimb] Seneca Highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you mean there is plenty on the south summit? You know of something to anchor to? I can't think of anything offhand - perhaps enough beater cams that you didn't mind retiring (you can't reuse them again, correct?) that you could equalize. I can't think of any other anchor, because I don't think the Griffin's beak is solid enough - hell it looks like a stiff widn would blow it off.

As for the North peak - I think that by wrapping cord through the hole at the top of madmen only might work. It would be essentially like tying off to a giant chunk of the North peak itself - the rock is kid of chossy up there, but I don't think it's choss all the way to the edge of the gunsight.

Will

irockclimb

Apr 23, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #8 of 21 (9215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can get plenty of trad gear in on the south summit is what i mean. About retiring trad gear after i am not completly sure. but i mean alot of the popular lines out west are protected by trad gear and maybe a bolt to back it up(Lost arrow spire)

crankingclimber

Apr 23, 2007, 8:27 PM
Post #9 of 21 (9210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irockclimb] Seneca Highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gotchya, trad anchor is an option. I have heard that slackline pro should only be used for slacklining - that is what would make it harder. Using trad gear, assuming the distance isn't too huge, it might be feasable. Next time I make it to Seneca, I'll give it an eyeball.

Will

fulton

Apr 23, 2007, 9:03 PM
Post #10 of 21 (9186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate how slackliners think that they can go to any rock climbing area and start rigging this shit up. Look dude, there are plenty of obscure crags with just as much potential (hundreds of feet of exposure) up and down the road from Seneca - the only reason to rig a line at Seneca instead of some out of the way area is public attention--it is to be a show off, to be a cool guy, be in the public eye, get some photos of you posted on rock climbing dot com.

Enough people have to be rescued from Seneca every year, lets not encourage the encouragable.

the_alpine

Apr 23, 2007, 9:15 PM
Post #11 of 21 (9175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] Seneca Highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love how climbers think they can go to any cliff and start climbing.

crankingclimber

Apr 23, 2007, 9:43 PM
Post #12 of 21 (9160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if this is intended as a troll or not, but for the sake of avoiding studying, I'm going to humor you, and pretend that this bs might be serious.

First of all, I'm not a slackliner, and have never thought that myself, or any slackliners, can, "go to any rock climbing area and start rigging this shit up.

And second of all, I'm not thinking about it for publicity. I would approach Tom Cecil, the folks at the Gendarme, the guides down there, most of whom I know, as well as any other locals I know, before I did it, both to ask what they think, and also for advice on how it's even possible. After that, publicity be damned - I just plain think it would be cool - if we got photos or something, that would be great too, it would be a good way to remember something cool.

Thirdly, and this is your only correct point (pity it's moot), there are indeed plenty of other places to set up highlines. I have a few in mind. I'll walk them too one day, if I'm ever good enough (I'm definitely not at the moment), and those will be because I think they're cool, not because of publicity. But, the reason I'm interested in the gunsight notch, is because I love Seneca so much, so it would be cooler to me. I led my first trad climb at Seneca. Not only that, but Seneca is where I had a 'breakthrough' in my own head, which has allowed me to start pushing through the grades. My first trad onsight through many of the grades are at Seneca. It's just a special place to me, and therefore setting up a sweet highline there would be that much more special to me. Hell, my first ever climb at Seneca, 6 years ago, was Gunsight to South Peak. I climbed it with a guy who proposed to his wife ontop of the Gendarme a month before it collapsed. I've got tons of history with the place.

That being said, if it would be damaging to the rock, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't place any bolts. It would be a completely natural rig, and as far as I'm concerned, not a single other soul on earth needs to know about it, apart from other folks who might want to be in on the fun.

And as for the rescues, you're correct there too - there are too many - I've been involved in too many. If this ever happens, I would take as many safety precautions as I do when climbing. If it's humanly possible, there would be no accident, and no rescue.

AND this is all hypothetical - in all honesty, it probably won't ever get off the ground. All I wanted was advice.

So, give some advice, instead of spraying this bullshit like you actually know my motives - get off your high horse, and go fuck yourself.

Will

fulton

Apr 23, 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #13 of 21 (9150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crankingclimber wrote:
So, give some advice, instead of spraying this bullshit like you actually know my motives - get off your high horse, and go fuck yourself. Will

My advice has already been stated,
DON'T SET UP SLACKLINES AT SENECA.

as to your motives, I think your a loud mouth

crankingclimber

Apr 23, 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #14 of 21 (9141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thankyou for the advice - dully noted. The problem I have with your advice, is your reasoning behind it. Rather than give anything constructive, you simply question my motives. You're still questioning my motives. If this is all you have, then your advice isn't worth shit to me.

What is your reason for thinking a highline shouldn't be set up at Seneca? If you give a real reason, maybe I'll start to count your advice as more than just bullshit, which is what I think it is now.

Will

bent_gate

Apr 23, 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #15 of 21 (9136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is just this one climbers opinion who believes in sharing our common natural resources. I have no problem with one being set up, as long as it is not left up for more than one day at a time. And certainly not put up every weekend. At the most like twice a year for one day. The reality is that it is not visually asthetic from the town, and constant highlines really would be visual pollution to those who climb, hike, and live in the area.

I'm comfortable with your intention. You seem willing to work with the local climbing establishment. As you seem to intend: It should only be done if it won't result in any fixed gear left behind, and it won't pull anything off. This requires that no one be in the area below when this is done or tightened. All possible rescues need to be coordinated and planed ahead of time. (know availability of rescue persons and resources). This is bit more responsibility than is often request from regular climbers, but is necessary if you want to do something new than the traditional ethic of the area.

Research all you like. Plan, Scout, Measure, Plot. Think of every way to minimize impact. But don't make a move until you have all involved and felt general consensus of the community. I bet you can get it if you do it that way. And in the end, that is what true respect is about.

bent_gate

Apr 23, 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #16 of 21 (9128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Though I would rather you put up a zipline from the peak to the Front Porch restaurant so I can climb until dark and get down for Pizza and Beer in like one minute. There's something to get behind... Wink

crankingclimber

Apr 23, 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #17 of 21 (9123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Seneca Highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Bentgate, that is good advice. You're absolutely correct, there should be no fixed anchors put in - any anchors used shouldn't be damaging. It shouldn't be left up long, and shouldn't be done when there's many people around, for safety's sake, and to be out of everybody's way. They are unasthetic, but IMHO it's acceptable to do for just a day, as long as most people are OK with it.

But fulton's crap contained none of your reasoning and wasn't "just one climbers opinion who believes in sharing our common natural resources." It was an attack on me personally - his reasons for not setting up a highline was that he thought I'm a gloryhound. That's crap. I'm not too concerned, because as I previously said, I don't count his opinion for shit. If he wanted to be taken seriously, he shouldn't jump to conclusions about someone he's never met, and instead ask questions, point out reasonable objections, and not make shit up. Still, it is amusing to humor him with replies - see if he's bright enough to grasp that he's wrong, or if he'll keep up with his crap. My guess is the latter.

Will

crankingclimber

Apr 23, 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #18 of 21 (9122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Seneca Highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And I second any zipline that takes me from climbing to beer!

Will

scrapedape

Apr 24, 2007, 1:48 PM
Post #19 of 21 (9079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suspect fulton got the reaction he was looking for out of you, Will.

I think there is another big thread on the South Peak, under the "sidewalk" and near the top of the scramble up from Greenwall and Pleasant O. You would probably need several hundred feet of webbing or static line to use it.

Have fun and POST SOME PICS if you do it.

The crosswinds in the Gunsight should make it interesting, to say the least.

notapplicable

Apr 25, 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #20 of 21 (9030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your right, there is another spot above the green wall summit scramble where you could thread a rope but like you said it would take a bit of rope to get it done.

svilnit

Apr 25, 2007, 1:30 PM
Post #21 of 21 (9009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
I suspect fulton got the reaction he was looking for out of you, Will.

I think there is another big thread on the South Peak, under the "sidewalk" and near the top of the scramble up from Greenwall and Pleasant O. You would probably need several hundred feet of webbing or static line to use it.

Have fun and POST SOME PICS if you do it.

The crosswinds in the Gunsight should make it interesting, to say the least.

Oh the winds up there would make it one MEAN slackline! That, and I'm SURE there is going to be some redneck that will think it is a cool idea to take a couple shots at you from the valley Cool

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook